• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Oreo Extravaganza Cake (think I could come up with a less original name?) for a Memorial Day rooftop BBQ.

gallery_59301_5864_17617.jpg

Frosted with vanilla Italian meringue buttercream. After chilling the frosted cake, shiny, Belgian dark (69%) chocolate ganache was poured over the top, to create that 'drip' effect, and glaze the surface.

The original cake didn't have as much buttercream and oreo decor, but when you have a 6 yr old little cutie sitting next to you, 'demanding' "MORE!", you HAVE to keep going. :D

gallery_59301_5864_37393.jpg

gallery_59301_5864_14731.jpg

The yellow cake batter for each pan was split, covered with a layer of ground oreo cookies, then covered with the rest of the batter, and baked, resulting in the 'swirl' you see in the middle of each layer. When someone wants a chocolate cake, I just torte the layers and fill them with vanilla or oreo buttercream, along with the oreo buttercream in the middle.

Filled with italian meringue buttercream loaded with ground and coarsely chopped oreo cookies.

Also, thanks for the camera recommendation, Rob..and Jmahl, your tart looks awesome!

Edited by Lisa2k (log)

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

My Lord, where to start. I am just in awe :shock: ! You folks inspire and scare me at the same time :wink: !!

Brigid Mary - those cinnamon rolls are gorgeous. I can almost smell them!

Rob - loved the little banana boats! And that's a much nicer name than Sandra Lee used for hers - she called them her 'banana purses'. That always sounded like a nasty euphemism to me :laugh: . Your for sale stuff??? Spot on! I love the wrapped effect - I think it makes everything look special - and who doesn't love unwrapping stuff? I think your prices are fantastic for the evident quality.

Lisa2k - your little green macarons are so pretty! I love the flavor ideas and the ones with the poppy seeds on top look like mini turkey burgers :biggrin: ! And the Oreo cooky cake is spectacular!!! I would love a slice of that!

dystopiandreamgirl - please let me join the admiration society for that lovely charlotte! It is an old fashioned, sentimental, sweet dessert - I mean that with all the very best connotations of those words. I think I would cry a little if someone set that down in front of me and doubt that it could possibly be meant for me!! Just lovely :wub: !

DesertCulinary - I love cupcakes above all other desserts and yours were adorable. The chocolate gave our house a big giggle! Mr. Kim says it looks sooooo much better than the 'real thing'!

Verjuice - the kitty cracked us up! We used to have one who would sit on an empty dining room chair and reach up with only his paw and try to snag stuff on the theory, we supposed that if he couldn't see us, we couldn't see him!

Renka - I am just astonished at what you accomplished! Everything looks so wonderful and delicious! I'd like to have one of each! I love the black sesame seeds in the tuiles! I LOVE black sesame!

I made these Oreo cooky muffins for work:

gallery_34972_3570_58913.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_178379.jpg

Everyone at work seemed to like them (I have a cold and my tastebuds are a bit dead, so I can' really tell). Jessica thought they were a bit bland. I thought they'd make great cupcakes with maybe a poundcake batter? Does poundcake batter work for cupcakes?

Man those look great! I saved a minor disaster. I was making the chocolate walnut orange tarts from Ferber's Mes Tartes (a gift from a certain confectionary doctor) and as I was pulling the most beautiful tart shell out of the oven, it bumped and fell flat on the bottom of the oven. I had the filling still so I dropped it in my mini-cups and baked away!

gallery_41282_4652_8587.jpg

Kim I love that little cupcake stand!! It is adorable!! The mini cups are also great Gfron!! I love the look.

Once I baked 2 trays of cupcakes. One of the top shelf of the oven and one on the bottom shelf as ovens here are kinda small. When it was time to check them I was astounded and confused as the bottom shelf's muffin tray was empty- no muffins!! :unsure: I thought I was mad as I remembered filling them with muffin batter. But I figured with me anything is possible. The following day I took out the oven shelves to bake something else and to my utter, hilarious surprise all my lost muffins were stuck very neatly on the underside of the top shelf!!! They had grown so tall that they had all attached themselves to the bottom of the top shelf. It was sooo funny! They were just fine if not a bit flat!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

The cat picture should be sent in to somewhere for a photo prize. It is just great!

My Lord, where to start.  I am just in awe :shock: !  You folks inspire and scare me at the same time :wink: !!

Brigid Mary  - those cinnamon rolls are gorgeous.  I can almost smell them!

Rob  - loved the little banana boats!  And that's a much nicer name than Sandra Lee used for hers - she called them her 'banana purses'.  That always sounded like a nasty euphemism to me :laugh: .  Your for sale stuff???  Spot on!  I love the wrapped effect - I think it makes everything look special - and who doesn't love unwrapping stuff?  I think your prices are fantastic for the evident quality. 

Lisa2k  - your little green macarons are so pretty!  I love the flavor ideas and the ones with the poppy seeds on top look like mini turkey burgers :biggrin: !  And the Oreo cooky cake is spectacular!!!  I would love a slice of that!

dystopiandreamgirl  - please let me join the admiration society for that lovely charlotte!  It is an old fashioned, sentimental, sweet dessert - I mean that with all the very best connotations of those words.  I think I would cry a little if someone set that down in front of me and doubt that it could possibly be meant for me!!  Just lovely :wub: !

DesertCulinary  - I love cupcakes above all other desserts and yours were adorable.  The chocolate gave our house a big giggle!  Mr. Kim says it looks sooooo much better than the 'real thing'!

Verjuice  - the kitty cracked us up!  We used to have one who would sit on an empty dining room chair and reach up with only his paw and try to snag stuff on the theory, we supposed that if he couldn't see us, we couldn't see him!

Renka  - I am just astonished at what you accomplished!  Everything looks so wonderful and delicious!  I'd like to have one of each!  I love the black sesame seeds in the tuiles!  I LOVE black sesame! 

I made these Oreo cooky muffins for work:

gallery_34972_3570_58913.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_178379.jpg

Everyone at work seemed to like them (I have a cold and my tastebuds are a bit dead, so I can' really tell).  Jessica thought they were a bit bland.  I thought they'd make great cupcakes with maybe a poundcake batter?  Does poundcake batter work for cupcakes?

Kim, you're so sweet, thank you. :)

That said, your oreo cupcake looks amazing. I was thinking of adding chopped oreos to the cake batter, to get that great, large, speckled effect, but then I realized it would wash out the oreo buttercream a little. Plus, I wanted to see how that 'swirl' would work.

Anyway, you know what I was just thinking? An Oreo macaron. Pierre Herme's chocolate macaron recipe, filled with either oreo buttercream, or even that nasty confectioner's sugar, shortening goo they put in actual oreos. OK, it sounds gross, but we all love that filling..lol

Boy, do I have a knack for taking something so refined and delicate, and turning it into Route 66 fare..lol From Matcha and Lavender macarons, to OREO macarons and Lemon Meringue macarons! OK, let's just say I'm 'Americanizing' them..LOL Well, the Mojito is Mexican...heh.

*Covering eyes so I don't have to look at Rob's latest, incredible dessert* Every time I see one, I have to eat something sweet. lol Looks like the gym will be getting extra business from me this summer.

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

Verjuice, that may have been easy, but great for hot summer days!

Here are two that I did today. Another riff on a chocolate apricot tart. Normally I would have worked toward ultra smooth top, but I purposefully dragged in the waves as it was setting and I'm glad I did.

gallery_41282_4652_11135.jpg

Then here's a leftover ingredient dessert - Iranian lime, ginger tartlet.

gallery_41282_4652_12671.jpg

Way behind on adding these but better late than never, I guess. :smile:

Chocolate Oreo Cake for my niece's birthday.

gallery_21184_2702_408546.jpg

Orange Cake

gallery_21184_2702_51224.jpg

Stampin' Up Cake - this was just for fun. Due to some major medical issues I hadn't done much baking for awhile so I asked a friend who is a Stampin' Up Demonstrator if I could make a cake for her next event. She chose the stamp set and the colours and I used them to decorate the cake. I piped them onto wax paper with white chocolate ala Whimsical Bakehouse. Now that I know about acetate I could even make them shiny next time. :biggrin:

gallery_21184_2702_13788.jpg

Tarts for a Ladies Tea. I made PH's Tarte Grenobloise in miniature, meringue cups filled with cream and fresh raspberries, PH's Lemon Cream w/Italian Meringue and an Apple Tart inspired by La Brea Bakery's Cookbook.

gallery_21184_3823_50106.jpg

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I few ice creams that I made in a class today:

Zaafraani Kulfi (in RecipeGullet): saffron, cardamom, raisins, almonds, pistachios OUTSTANDING - make this!

gallery_41282_4652_22225.jpg

Olive Chip Ice Cream (in the ice cream topic, from Ideas in Food): Olive oil, Lyle's Golden Syrup, mascarapone and dried olives:

gallery_41282_4652_11723.jpg

Here are the chips. These were dried for about three hours at 180F. They would make a great condiment since you can pulverise them.

gallery_41282_4652_40991.jpg

And, some friends had a going away party so I made them cakes. Their oldest is fixated on balloons, so I made balloon cakes:

gallery_41282_4652_9821.jpg

gallery_41282_4652_30733.jpg

The colors are the flavors: bluerry, red raspberry and lemon. Each has basic genois on the bottom split and filled with the flavor. The tops were mousse (a bit of gelatin added for heat security) poured into bowls then frozen with the genoise pressed into them. Then they were glazed with pastry glazed heavily tinted for color. The balloon nipples were fruit rollups. They were lot's of fun to make.

Brown butter shortbread...those are very brown.  Are you playing with the title or did you really get your butter that dark? 

I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been gearing up to sell (because now is a great time to be starting a bakery business - extreme sarcasm intended).  I'm only doing small amounts and focusing on sure sales to pair with our lunch crowd. 

Browned butter, chocolate chip cookies (Thanks to the CCC Bake-off)

gallery_41282_4652_31989.jpg

A chocolate apricot tart (Thanks to Amernick who always leaves me with extra dough)

gallery_41282_4652_49772.jpg

And a couple of baguettes and a boule from my juniper berry sourdough starter (Thanks Hummingbirdkiss)

gallery_41282_4652_55625.jpg

Everything has sold out every day, so that's a good sign.  I'd welcome feedback on the "packaging."  Its a bit much, but I wanted to up the perceived value to match my store, and in fact, I'm using higher quality ingredients than anyone in town.

I'm very late to this party, but wanted to say congrats and express my jealousy!

Thanks Ruth. I now understand why the pros don't post their creations too often - once you start selling, you make essentially the same things day after day, and you never had time to do your own thing anymore. I've been making CCCs, Ong's PB cookies, tiramisu and a few other things daily. Yesterday Patrick A made some lemon macaron's and I added a dark chocolate/caramel ganache. Another good seller!

gallery_41282_4652_35296.jpg

I'm making a big ole old-fashioned Banana Pudding right now. I just finished the (6-yolk, 3 pints, 1 cup, some vanilla) custard, strained it and set it to cool before the layering will begin tonight. It needs to sit overnight in the fridge for the flavors to mingle properly, and the cookies to soften into melty bites in the sauce.

It's for a family reunion tomorrow, and I have the neatest tote-bowl---a gift from DS#1 and DDIL last year. It's like a really refined type of foam, smooth and pearly outside, and shaped like a big flat-bottomed melon. The lid lifts to reveal a 1-gallon stainless bowl inside, and it keeps hot or cold for about 8 hours.

I'll layer the custard with sliced bananas, Nilla wafers, and whipped cream, just as I would in the Trifle Bowl. A row of wafers will stand like soldiers around the sides, and last layer will be piped swirls of whipped cream on top.

Here's an apple crostata (or gallette):

gallery_48581_6060_190779.jpg

I also made a focaccia:

gallery_48581_6060_7172.jpg

The presentation isn't up the the quality of gorgeous photos posted on this forum, but the eaters were hovering.

Michael

Kerry, a chocolate cake is always a correct answer :) I hope you guys had a fine day!

Rachel, I remember making a banana pudding (the dark ages, way before I joined eGullet). My main inspiration was seeing Maya Angelou promoting her cookbook on Oprah and it was what Oprah was raving about. I knew it would've been phenomenal when I got it out of the fridge and the flavors have melded, unfortunately I used vastly inferior (underripe) bananas. Sigh!

Michael: Your pictures are great, don't sweat it :) You know the bread fetishists would want to see the cross-section of the bread, though, haha! I'd love to have a slice of that galette any day.

My contribution:

gallery_53129_4592_37224.jpg

Two layers of tall sponge cake (Flo Braker's recipe), slathered all over with whipped cream, filled with sliced strawberries and more cream.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Rachel, I remember making a banana pudding (the dark ages, way before I joined eGullet). My main inspiration was seeing Maya Angelou promoting her cookbook on Oprah and it was what Oprah was raving about. I knew it would've been phenomenal when I got it out of the fridge and the flavors have melded, unfortunately I used vastly inferior (underripe) bananas. Sigh!

gallery_53129_4592_37224.jpg

Two layers of tall sponge cake (Flo Braker's recipe), slathered all over with whipped cream, filled with sliced strawberries and more cream.

Ohhh, bliss!!!

What Miss Maya really said about banana pudding was that she went out of town, then came back, knocked on her boyfriend's door, and caught him at the table with another woman, who had made him a banana pudding.

Miss M. went home, whipped up one of her vastly superior models, with perfect bananas, cooked custard, and lovely crisp wafers, delivered it to the errant boyfriend, and told him to enjoy---it would be the last one that good that HE'D ever taste.

You can just TELL that she's a whiz in the kitchen. DO try the recipe again. I haven't seen her actual recipe, but I never assemble the pudding until the custard is very cool. I've never cared for bananas heated in any way---their magic is changed in the heating, somehow. The puddings set out at church suppers with meringue atop---I pass by those for the cold versions.

On another note, could someone recommend a really good digital camera that isn't OTT expensive (under $400), and gives you great detail and good zoom (you know,shine, crumb..as if the plate is right in front of you..like the photos in this thread)? 

I got myslef a Fujicolor Finepix F30 a year and a half ago and am really happy with it. I haven't done lots of food photography with it, but you can see some pictures I took with it in my food blog (I was just learning to use it then). I also have lots of closeup botanical stuff at http://picasaweb.google.com/dolichos. It cost about 325 then, and there was a 50 dollar rebate. The way things are going, there is probably something even better for the same money.

Edited by sazji (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

The inspiration for this dish came from a Boulud cookbook. It's sort of an odd recipe for a French chef-the rhubarb is poached in a simple syrup that includes a lot, I mean a lot, of grenadine. While the grenadine added flavor and color to the rhubarb, it was overpowering. The grenadine turned the natural, tart flavor of rhubarb into a sticky, sweet, sort of triple-cherry coke without the fizz.

Boulud called for stacking the rhubarb on tuille cookies, but I used puff pastry and made up my own presentation. There's a thin layer of pastry cream on the bottom piece of puff pastry.

Nice dessert but it needs a bit more work.

gallery_41580_4407_35816.jpg

Edited by David Ross (log)