• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Just playing around with scraps...

Palm sugar carmelized banana slices set in 75% ganache in pastry boats.

gallery_41282_4652_25910.jpg

very cute idea, love it!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

How about Strawberry Celery cake!  A layer of strawberry dacqoise, three layers of strawberry genois, filled with strawberry jam and lemon curd, wrapped in celery mousse, coated in white chocolate glaze.  The cage is a bit horrific, but I was just playing with ideas.

gallery_41282_4652_43229.jpg

BTW I have decided that cages over cakes are silly - they serve no function and get in the way when its time to cut.

Yeah, but isn't it fun to deconstruct the cage and the eating it after? :laugh:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Coconut flan, dense chocolate-coconut truffle cake. Blood orange caramel, lightly salted caramel dust, toasted peels of fresh coconut on top.

gallery_59301_5864_8636.jpg

Edited by Lisa2k (log)

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

charlotte with lemon mousse and candied violets

gallery_8512_4054_28075.jpg

happy mother's day!

Wow! Perfection!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

charlotte with lemon mousse and candied violets

gallery_8512_4054_28075.jpg

happy mother's day!

I have not words for this. Chris was passing beside me, and I said, "Look at this---can you imagine having created it---standing those ladyfingers JUST SO, placing it on your own cakeplate, and taking a picture so perfect?"

We agreed that this is one of the all-time Hall of Fame creations AND pictures ever posted.

Thank you for the good wishes---our own desserts yesterday, at the home of DS#2 and DDIL, were a Schwan's strawberry ice cream cake, (brought by her Mom), fudge medallions (made by our hostess), and a four-berry crumble with topping made of oatmeal, Splenda, and several crumbled WW muffins from the freezer---made by Caro, and served with FF whipped cream---warm and richly delicious, with a lovely thick purply sauce tasting of each and every berry.

We had a sample of them all, on a pretty little plate, in a housefull of laughing little girls, proud young parents, and two sets of happy grandparents. The aura and the together of it made our day wonderful.

But that Charlotte!!! Perfect. :wub:

Wow, after that beautiful charlotte I'm almost ashamed to put up the next picture.

I experimented with a terribly crumbly dough and tweaked it by adding eggs and pure orange extract. I filled each "dumpling" with orange marmalade and drizzled the cooled cookies with white chocolate spiked with more orange extract.

gallery_48071_5616_133459.jpg

Seville Orange Marmalade Filled Cookies with Orange White Chocolate Drizzle

I'm baking with an orange theme for a giant project (read 4000 cookies) due in the next week.

Edited by Renka (log)

Wow, after that beautiful charlotte I'm almost ashamed to put up the next picture.

I experimented with a terribly crumbly dough and tweaked it by adding eggs and pure orange extract.  I filled each "dumpling" with orange marmalade and drizzled the cooled cookies with white chocolate spiked with more orange extract.

gallery_48071_5616_133459.jpg

Seville Orange Marmalade Filled Cookies with Orange White Chocolate Drizzle

I'm baking with an orange theme for a giant project (read 4000 cookies) due in the next week.

I know exactly what you mean! I posted a dessert I served at a dinner party last week, and once I saw that gorgeous lemon mousse charlotte, I wanted to delete it..LOL

BTW, your cookies look delectable and SO pretty. I love white chocolate, and oddly, I'd never thought of pairing it with orange. NO idea why! Now I have a gazillion ideas running through my head, in conjunction with craving your cookies! :)

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

~Lisa~

How about Strawberry Celery cake!  A layer of strawberry dacqoise, three layers of strawberry genois, filled with strawberry jam and lemon curd, wrapped in celery mousse, coated in white chocolate glaze.  The cage is a bit horrific, but I was just playing with ideas.

Strawberry dacquoise sounds interesting. How do you put the strawberry in the strawberry dacquoise?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

A whole bunch (read maybe one pound) of strawberries boiled down (no sugar) as thick as it would go. I ended up with just over a 1/4 cup. Poured some strawberry sludge into the almond flour and processed it back into a dry mix, then proceeded as usual.

I made a couple cupcakes for the weekly treat day... the first were these Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes. I probably added a bit too much jam to the frosting, but it tasted well nonetheless.

gallery_51259_4126_44574.jpg

The next was a homemade version of those tasty chocolate snack cakes.

gallery_51259_4126_79132.jpg

I made a couple cupcakes for the weekly treat day... the first were these Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes.  I probably added a bit too much jam to the frosting, but it tasted well nonetheless.

gallery_51259_4126_44574.jpg

The next was a homemade version of those tasty chocolate snack cakes.

gallery_51259_4126_79132.jpg

Wow..just gorgeous. Incredible photography, and fantastic piping. BTW, I'm also drooling :P~~~

~Lisa~

MMmm! That cupcake looks way better than the Hostess one!

Last night me and my friend Sarah spent the whole evening, ( 5 1/2 hours!) baking a cake for my friend Heather (Sarah's sister) sweet sixteen birthday cake. Her birthday was last month, and me and Sarah had made her a Kit Kat Cake. She liked it so much she wanted it for her party!

So we made rectangle kit kat cakes, and a LOT of cookies and cream cupcakes. I don't have anything but leftover pictures, but we were very proud of are finished products. The taste was excellent!

gallery_55196_5741_150697.jpg

gallery_55196_5741_103683.jpg

Our own Patrick A graduated high school yesterday and will head off to his 4-year culinary/hospitality program in the fall. Today is his party which I made a few things for the family and friends.

gallery_41282_4652_80.jpg

Mango Cheesecake with Lemongrass Cream

gallery_41282_4652_15582.jpg

Raspberry Macaron with Bittersweet Ganache

gallery_41282_4652_10961.jpg

Molé Mousse: The photo doesn't do this one justice. A 45% chocolate mousse infused with molé rojo set atop a chocolate coated baked corn tortilla with an ancho piñon.

gallery_41282_4652_30311.jpg

Toffee Tartlets: Crushed cacao nibs on the bottom, covered in wet toffee, thick 64% ganache and a kadaifi nest smothered in honey and turbinado - that should get the ol' diabetes going!

They all look great Rob but I'm betting you can guess which one made me go hmmm... very interesting. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You got it. The lemongrass cream sounds really good but the mole mousse made me do a double take to be sure I read it right. Sounds very interesting indeed. The lemongrass cream does take runner up though, in part because I've been contemplating the idea of Thai red curry ice cream and I can see a lemongrass cream fitting quite nicely on that plate.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oh wow! A red curry ice cream sounds great. What about going for a triple headers of red, green (if the heat isn't too much) and yellow or masaman curry. And what if you made jasmine rice milk for your base...of course you would have to top it all off with candied lemongrass ties!

Do you moonlight as a mind reader? :raz: I have the test base for it written down in my idea book... cooked jasmine rice pureed with coconut milk. Not exactly rice milk but you were close enough for government work. Hadn't thought of the other curries, that's a cool idea.