• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I'll take a dozen donuts, half a dozen cupcakes, a piece of chocolate cake with buttercream, a piece of ginger cheesecake and a huge chunk of that banana pecan cake... and a diet pepsi. :biggrin:

gallery_53467_5170_65918.jpg

jackfruit gelee, honeydew in vanilla syrup, caramelized rice crispy disc, jackfruit-cardamom mousse

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Wow, guys! Everything looks so amazing...but those donuts are calling me! :wub:

Here's what I've made lately

gallery_55196_5741_82109.jpg

Vanilla cake with sweet pastry cream, chocolate ganache and chocolate buttercream.

(picture is after it was in the fridge)

gallery_55196_5741_117651.jpg

gallery_55196_5741_21863.jpg

Chocolate pound cake with cheesecake filling and chocolate streusel with very finely chopped almonds.

gallery_55196_5741_120517.jpg

gallery_55196_5741_72279.jpg

Kit Kat cake- chocolate cake filled with chocolate buttercream, crushed KitKat bars and topped with chocolate fudge icing.

Kit kats "glued" on the outside with more buttercream.

Edited by Brigid Mary (log)

Brigid Mary,

Is the pound cake a Carole Walter recipe?

It looks great!!

Meyer Lemon CreamCheese Pound Cake. I met an Eg member in Florida last month and she gave me the biggest meyer lemons I'd ever seen. These looked like grapefruits!!

gallery_25969_665_570967.jpg

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

That's a lot of fun - was it good?  Was there any of the jackfruit smell or just taste?

None of the rotten exterior smell because only canned jackfruit is available here (which is fine with me, I didn't really want to deal with the smell and glue involved with cutting up the fresh ones for this project anyway). That slightly musky interior smell is there but at a lower level than the fruit on it's own. It went over very well with those who tried it, for me personally it was a bit too sweet. Maybe something more tart or spicy than the melon with vanilla next time to balance things better.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Brigid Mary,

Is the pound cake a Carole Walter recipe?

It looks great!!

Meyer Lemon CreamCheese Pound Cake.  I met an Eg member in Florida last month and she gave me the biggest meyer lemons I'd ever seen.  These looked like grapefruits!!

The batter for the chocolate pound cake is the batter from Carole's "black and white pound cake" but I made all the batter chocolate instead of half, and added the cheesecake filling. That's her chocolate streusel. I'm very obsessed with her recipes and how easy it is to play around with them.

That pound cake looks so good! I may have to make that one now. :raz:

Brigid Mary, I love love love your kit kat cake! Did the kit kats go soggy after a while? My wafers which I used last time did....But I guess the chocolate coating on the kit kats protects it..?

Last night, Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Creme Anglaise, Chocolated Malt Ice Cream:

gallery_41580_4407_198740.jpg

David, Awesome as usual! You never fail to impress.

Wowee to everyone here and all their impressive creations! To take things down a couple notches, here are some simple cookies that I baked up last week.

I'm experimenting with a number of recipes (mainly an orange theme) for a large project in mid-May.

gallery_48071_5616_14345.jpg

Orange Icebox Cookies with Sliced Almonds

gallery_48071_5616_102998.jpg

Pichet Ong's Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

gallery_48071_5616_100042.jpg

Spiced Sesame Orange Florentines with Sliced Almonds & Fleur de Sel before the chocolate drizzle

gallery_48071_5616_139854.jpg

and after the 72% dark chocolate drizzle.

• 2 weeks later...

Renka, those cookies look amazing! Especially the last ones!!

Chocolate chip cookies pie, with substitute chocolate chips made with a crusty fudge icing piped and frozen. (I have no chocolate chips and no money :hmmm: )

gallery_55196_5741_160645.jpg

gallery_55196_5741_101536.jpg

Frozen Ricotta Cream Pie with Caramel Sauce

gallery_55196_5741_52450.jpg

Iced cake brownies (too cakey for me, I wanted a brownie, not cake!)

gallery_55196_5741_72671.jpg

Deformed chocolate chip cookies, with substitute chocolate chips

gallery_55196_5741_105309.jpg

Pecan Upside down cake with fluffly cream cheese frosting

gallery_55196_5741_114321.jpg

The frosting was so light and fluffy, tasted almost like Cinnabon!

Last night I did two desserts from the "Traditional British Cooking" cookbook. I wanted to do two fruit desserts with fresh, clean "Spring" flavors to follow a dinner of Chicken with Morels and Asparagus.

Of course, I couldn't just settle for using the recipe exactly as it is written in the book. Instead of serving the Syllabub on its own in a glass or bowl, I spooned it into a tartlet made with a Shortbread crust.

The second dessert is Cranberry Jelly with Raspberries and Cream. You cook the cranberry juice with spices before chilling it. I changed the spice mixture in the recipe by using star anise instead of the cinnamon and clove called for in the recipe. You also add fresh ginger to the juice as it cooks. The jelly was pretty tangy, almost too much so, but it was a nice counter balance to the sweetness and richness of the syllabub.

Orange Syllabub with Cranberry Jelly and Raspberry:

gallery_41580_4407_147637.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_35228.jpg

I made a version of Brigid Mary’s Kit Kat cake. I, like Brigid, made it for a friend’s birthday celebration and it was a great success! I used the CI recipe for German chocolate cake for the cake and CakeLove chocolate Italian Meringue Buttercream for the filling and frosting (I put chopped Kit Kat bars in the filling, too, like Brigid). Thanks so much for posting that cake, Brigid – this was a fun cake to make and to serve – everyone was impressed:

gallery_34972_3570_21202.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_70414.jpg

I made a version of Brigid Mary’s Kit Kat cake.  I, like Brigid, made it for a friend’s birthday celebration and it was a great success!  I used the CI recipe for German chocolate cake for the cake and CakeLove chocolate Italian Meringue Buttercream for the filling and frosting (I put chopped Kit Kat bars in the filling, too, like Brigid).  Thanks so much for posting that cake, Brigid – this was a fun cake to make and to serve – everyone was impressed:

gallery_34972_3570_21202.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_70414.jpg

Kim, the cake looks awesome, I love how you did the top!

I really want some of that zebra cake!

Edited by Brigid Mary (log)

Kim,

The kit kat cakes looks so good. I can totally taste it having just made the CI german chocolate cake. What a great idea to use a different frosting. The frosting looks so light and fluffy. I really should try an Italian Meringue Buttercream again. I've only made one once and it was great, but I'm always intimidated by hot sugar syrup!!