• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Hi Amrita, you also might like to post it in the Daily confections thread :smile:

Tropical Bombe (mango sherbet, with a coconut parfait center and pineapple-coconut joconde base, served with a mango tuile and kalamansi (Philippine lemon) cream):

gallery_53129_4592_17883.jpg

(Also in the plated desserts thread)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

my boyfriend and I spent 5 hours the other day on this cake.  its from last month's gourmet magazine.  I believe its called chocolate meringue mousse cake.  yes that is me and yes it was tasty

(and yes it looks like poop)

gallery_44829_5761_52120.jpg

Pierre Herme has a similar cake that I made a while ago, involving piping out chocolate meringue logs - if it makes you feel better, mine looked like poop too.

What I made yesterday -- mini blueberry muffins

mini-blueberry-muffins.jpg

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

I do not eat lemon meringue pie, so I do not bake it often. The latest Cuisine at Home inspired me to make their limoncello spiked version for my sister and husband. I was pretty proud of it. It uses an Italian meringue, so no weeping!

gallery_32986_4430_945098.jpg

I also made the shaker pie out of the latest Cook's Country. It was a bit too bitter for me, and I love bitter. It was very nearly delicious though...

gallery_32986_4430_482396.jpg

Btw, these crusts are from the LMP recipe. It is perfect!

Edited by Becca Porter (log)

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I do not eat lemon meringue pie, so I do not bake it often. The latest Cuisine at Home inspired me to make their limoncello spiked version for my sister and husband. I was pretty proud of it. It uses an Italian meringue, so no weeping!

gallery_32986_4430_945098.jpg

I also made the shaker pie out of the latest Cook's Country. It was a bit too bitter for me, and I love bitter. It was very nearly delicious though...

gallery_32986_4430_482396.jpg

Btw, these crusts are from the LMP recipe. It is perfect!

Becca - what is an LMP recipe? I'm wracking my brains, but nothing rings a bell.

Thanks

Rover

Sorry, its from the lemon meringue pie I referenced from Cuisine at Home...

Of course! The light just flashed on... those are absolutely gorgeous pies, Becca. Pies and tarts are my weakness and over the past year, my go-to pastry recipe is Dorie Greenspan's "Good For Almost Everything Pie Dough" from Baking from My Home to Yours. I am intrigued by the Cook's Illustrated vodka crust, though - I think I'm going to have to try it.

Thanks

Rover

Hi everyone! Get ready for an Easter Cupcake invasion :o)

Mango Passion Cupcake

gallery_58558_5702_369336.jpg

Dark Chocolate/Vanilla Cupcake

gallery_58558_5702_295439.jpg

Cinnamon Chocolate Cupcake

gallery_58558_5702_145230.jpg

Your baking always looks so delicious. But what makes it REALLY look delectable are your wonderful photos. How do you get them so perfectly clear? What kind of camera are you using and do you set it on digital macro to get such close-up clarity?

Last night I made a Bittersweet Chocolate Tart with Whipped Cream and Crystallized Ginger. Great tasting but it was a testy little tart to make. The dang shortbread crust got stuck in the tart pan and so rather than mess up the whole thing by forcing it out of the tart ring I decided to cut a round out of the middle of the tart.

I used Lindt Bittersweet Chocolate, 70% Cacao. As you can see in the photo, the chocolate filling had some air bubbles in it-didn't affect the taste but doesn't give the tart the shiny, smooth look I wanted. The crystallized ginger was a bit old. I think the package of ginger was past its prime. It didn't have that zingy, ginger taste I was expecting. In the end, good concept, only fair execution, excellent taste. Especially with a small glass of Cointreau!

gallery_41580_4407_25496.jpg

Great stuff everybody. David, that tart looks/sounds awesome.

I don't have the pics to prove it right now but I've been working on a few things.

Last night I made 20 lbs. of laminated danish dough. After closing at work I felt like playing so I locked myself in and started making dough. There are ten 2 lb. pieces that got 4 turns each so it would have been more fun if I had a sheeter but it was still fun. I love doing that sort of thing. Chase everybody out of the building, lock myself in, crank the music and see what I end up with. I think maybe I need to get a life. :biggrin:

Tonight after closing I baked chocolate cake layers, made chocolate buttercream and caramel buttercream and made a batch of caramel which will all be assembled into a cake a coworker asked me to make for his mom's birthday.

I also made a sliceable grapefruit curd topped with honey gelee which I'm going to plate with buttermilk bread pudding.

I'll try to get some pics together in the next day or two.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Your baking always looks so delicious.  But what makes it REALLY look delectable are your wonderful photos.  How do you get them so perfectly clear?  What kind of camera are you using and do you set it on digital macro to get such close-up clarity?

Hi David!

Thanks a million for the compliments! I am using a Canon Powershot G9....I set it on macro and under the "cloudy" setting to get a warmer looking image!

This is what I baked : Iced Donuts

solo.jpg

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Cassis Macarons. Funny feet today  :sad:

I'm about to make my own macarons in a few days time, so I know nothing - your feet looks fine to me! Mind telling why you are unhappy with them? Maybe I can learn something :biggrin:

See how theres a disinct line before the feet emerge? I hate that!!!!! :wacko:

Some tips for you:

1. Make sure theyre completely DRY before you bake them. If they're not dry, they'll crack/not develop feet.

2. if you find that your macarons dont seem to be drying even after a couple of hrs, then your recipe probably has too much egg whites in it.

3. Do not overmix the batter. A few white streaks left in the batter is fine.

4. Use italian meringue! Its more stable and produces consistent results.

Good luck!!!!

YUM. That's what I thought when I saw that! Beautiful picture. I love how you did the sprinkles! Care to share the recipe? :biggrin:

AmritaBala: I've never tasted a Macaron before, but your look gorgeous!

Yes...It is from an Australian food site called Iced Doughnuts but I used individual bundt pans to bake it...here is the site:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5161/iced+doughnuts

Amritabala...seeing that I cannot eat your creations from my screen, I have to say that your photos are superb! The presentation...WOW!!

austramerica

YUM. That's what I thought when I saw that! Beautiful picture. I love how you did the sprinkles! Care to share the recipe? :biggrin:

AmritaBala: I've never tasted a Macaron before, but your look gorgeous!

Yes...It is from an Australian food site called Iced Doughnuts but I used individual bundt pans to bake it...here is the site:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5161/iced+doughnuts

Amritabala...seeing that I cannot eat your creations from my screen, I have to say that your photos are superb! The presentation...WOW!!

austramerica

Thank you!!! And by the way, I love love love taste.com.au....you should try out the Low Fat Pork Laab recipe...sooooooo good!