• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

in the last two days have made:

cranberry streusel bars (from the oregonian: http://tinyurl.com/2gzg7w)

(definitely a keeper for me. makes great use of cranberries!)

peanut butter crunch cookies (from real simple: http://tinyurl.com/2hlvrp)

i followed the instructions (with the optional strawberry jam) but the cookies were a bit too crumbly and dry. i REALLY like the crunchiness of this though, which is from the rice krispies. i dont know quite how to fix this recipe to make it a bit more wet. maybe add another egg, maybe add water/milk, butter... quite a few variables and im not one to really tinker and i dont bake enough to know how to make them less crumbly. so anyway. ill probably make them again... but how, im not sure.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Yesterday we baked this Cranberry Unside-Down Cake. Cake contains some almond paste and cornmeal.

gallery_38003_2183_557402.jpg

The contracts of sweet and sour works very well in this recipe.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

God!! How do you guys make your desserts look so good?! I feel like devouring things which I normally wouldn't think I'd like at all (am thinking of the burnt sugar cake and cranberry upside down cake in particular, but there have been countless examples on this thread... I went back and read all 108 pages of it!)!

Jmahl, that looks so moist!!! :raz:

Well today I tried out a french meringue based macaron recipe which I found in a Le Cordon Bleu cookbook. These are the macarons right after I piped them.

I have a feeling the recipe calls for too much egg whites since they never did dry in the end. I just baked them and got feetless little peanut cookies. Oh well. My sister's bringing them to school tomorrow as a snack.. :wacko:

gallery_58558_5702_150630.jpg

Jmahl, that looks so moist!!!  :raz:

Well today I tried out a french meringue based macaron recipe which I found in a Le Cordon Bleu cookbook. These are the macarons right after I piped them.

I have a feeling the recipe calls for too much egg whites since they never did dry in the end. I just baked them and got feetless little peanut cookies. Oh well. My sister's bringing them to school tomorrow as a snack.. :wacko:

Macarons are notoriously difficult to get just the right rise and a little foot too. I'll bet you get better each time you make them. :biggrin:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Jmahl, that looks so moist!!!  :raz:

Macarons are notoriously difficult to get just the right rise and a little foot too. I'll bet you get better each time you make them. :biggrin:

John, actually, i've perfected Italian Meringue Macarons....But I was lazy yesterday and took the easy way out with french meringue.

Ironic thing is, whenever I try making box-mixes and simple things, they never turn out...Im the only one who fails at betty crocker cake-mix cakes... :raz:

Cold Creamy Truffles from Bittersweet

Cardamom Apple Pie with Sour Cherries from Apple Pie Perfect

gallery_32986_4430_996891.jpg

gallery_32986_4430_329967.jpg

Wow, that pie just looks uber-flakey. Bravo!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Brigid, I am seriously craving that right now. I don't know what it is with butter, sugar, and cinnamon, but it just never grows old for me.. :smile:

I made a Fraisier (or Ray Ventura) last Valentine's Day.. Of course the fondant on top mirrored every imperfection on the cake surface as I forgot to flatten it with some creme mousseline. Oh well :smile:

gallery_53129_4592_29090.jpg

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Mmm...that looks so delicious! Believe me, I'm craving them too. Just looking at the pictures...it won't be long before I make them again. My family already started nagging me! :wink:

I made Blondies the other day. First time I've ever had a blondie before. I was definitely missing out on something!

gallery_55196_5741_6141.jpg

gallery_55196_5741_96195.jpg

If these are blondies, shouldn't they call brownies brunettes instead?

Edited by Brigid Mary (log)

Last night I had a sundae out of David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop. This is tin roof ice cream with marshmallow hot fudge sauce topped with salt roasted peanuts and candied cherries.

It didn't photograph well but it was yummy.

gallery_32986_4430_765242.jpg

Today I made Vienna bread with Dutch Crunch topping from BBA.

gallery_32986_5576_241435.jpg

Edited by Becca Porter (log)

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

dessert for an oscar party:

THERE WILL BE BLOOD ORANGE CHARLOTTE

gallery_8512_4054_565758.jpg

ladyfinger encasement brushed with Hungarian blood orange liqueur

filled with blood orange mousse

topped with blood orange marmalade and fresh blood oranges

circled with candied blood orange slices

here's a better view of the top:

gallery_8512_4054_632665.jpg

AmritaBala:Those Raspberry Ganache Tartlettes are stunning! They look too pretty to eat. I love your photography!

BeccaPorter: How did the Vienna Bread taste? It looks really good!

Last night I made my favorite cookie, chocolate chip/chunk with walnuts! Best cookies I've ever made. This is my new favorite recipe. They were HUGE, even bigger than my dads hands. It was quite funny...

gallery_55196_5741_28946.jpg

gallery_55196_5741_85826.jpg

Moist, chewy, chunky, gooey and still crispy...I used this recipe HERE.

The only thing I can say is they slightly lack a certain flavor that the ol' Toll House recipe has that I really love. But everything else makes up for it. Definitely making these again!

my boyfriend and I spent 5 hours the other day on this cake. its from last month's gourmet magazine. I believe its called chocolate meringue mousse cake. yes that is me and yes it was tasty

(and yes it looks like poop)

gallery_44829_5761_52120.jpg

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sheena, I think it looks just great :) Good job! (and no, I don't have a poop fetish)

(PS Gee, Gourmet magazine, wouldn't that make it a Concorde?)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Compliments to all. A perfect pile of perfect cookies is enhanced withperfect photography. The blood drained out of my face when I saw the bloody cake-that was a real wow-er!! And the poop cake got me to call my family to come look- I loved that picture of you!! Everyone makes such amazing desserts and I am always taken aback when I enter this thread. Whew!!