• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

oh lord, Pille, that looks soooo fudgy and delish! Bravo!

responding to your earlier post: there's a "what's for dinner" thread and a lunch and breakfast one as well. there are also threads on specific cuisines (chinese, mexican, thai, etc.) all in the cooking forum. check them out, they are just as inspirational as the ones in p & b

Here are some Banana Bars with Browned Butter Pecan Frosting we made a few days ago.

gallery_51259_4126_42127.jpg

This is the Valentine's Day treat we took into the office for treat day yesterday. Red Velvet Cupcakes with a generous swirl of a "cooked" flour buttercream frosting. We also served some cream cheese shortbread hearts dipped in bittersweet chocolate or iced with a white chocolate poured fondant.

gallery_51259_4126_73417.jpg

Here are some Banana Bars with Browned Butter Pecan Frosting we made a few days ago.

Red Velvet Cupcakes with a generous swirl of a "cooked" flour buttercream frosting. 

Those both look delicious, and I especially like the sound of the browned butter pecan frosting.

Sadly my contribution today lacks butter. I wanted to bake something but had no eggs, butter, or milk! So I ended up coming up these vegan (by chance, not choice) grapefruit almond muffins with fresh grapefruit:

gallery_56081_5629_146587.jpg

At least they taste good...

Sadly my contribution today lacks butter. I wanted to bake something but had no eggs, butter, or milk! So I ended up coming up these vegan (by chance, not choice) grapefruit almond muffins with fresh grapefruit:

gallery_56081_5629_146587.jpg

At least they taste good...

They look pretty! Did they 'taste good for vegan' or did they just 'taste good?' If so, would you care to share a recipe? Much as I love butter, sometimes it would be nice to have a lower calorie option.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

They look pretty!  Did they 'taste good for vegan' or did they just 'taste good?'  If so, would you care to share a recipe?  Much as I love butter, sometimes it would be nice to have a lower calorie option.

I would say they tasted good compared to non-vegan muffins, however I must preface that this "recipe" is verrry loose so please feel free to change it if needs be.

First I deconstructed a grapefruit, removing all pith, etc, separating into about 1" sections if larger than that. Then I tossed them in a saute pan with about 1 cup of sugar and left them on low heat, stirring occasionally, until all the juice cells separate. I used self-rising flour because I was lazy, so I used 1 1/2 cups of that, plus 1/2 cup of cornmeal just for kicks. Into these add 1 1/2 tsp salt. (I think this recipe benefits from a little extra salt). As for the liquids, combine 1 1/4 cups water, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp almond extract, and 1 tsp orange or grapefruit extract. If these measurements don't lend a batter of the correct consistency please adjust, because I didn't measure when I made them. I baked them at 400 degrees for about 18 minutes. I was pleased to note that the grapefruit maintained its pretty pink despite having been cooked twice!

edited to adjust sugar

Edited by Underfoot (log)

They look pretty!  Did they 'taste good for vegan' or did they just 'taste good?'  If so, would you care to share a recipe?  Much as I love butter, sometimes it would be nice to have a lower calorie option.

I would say they tasted good compared to non-vegan muffins, however I must preface that this "recipe" is verrry loose so please feel free to change it if needs be.

First I deconstructed a grapefruit, removing all pith, etc, separating into about 1" sections if larger than that. Then I tossed them in a saute pan with about 1 cup of sugar and left them on low heat, stirring occasionally, until all the juice cells separate. I used self-rising flour because I was lazy, so I used 1 1/2 cups of that, plus 1/2 cup of cornmeal just for kicks. Into these add 1 1/2 tsp salt. (I think this recipe benefits from a little extra salt). As for the liquids, combine 1 1/4 cups water, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp almond extract, and 1 tsp orange or grapefruit extract. If these measurements don't lend a batter of the correct consistency please adjust, because I didn't measure when I made them. I baked them at 400 degrees for about 18 minutes. I was pleased to note that the grapefruit maintained its pretty pink despite having been cooked twice!

edited to adjust sugar

Thanks, very much!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks for the nice comments. A photo of the slice of cake, served with another sweet from years ago, my Grapefruit Ice Cream.

gallery_41580_4407_15058.jpg

Wow...that looks gorgeous!

I made cinnamon rolls tonight! I used Carole Walter's Simple Sweet Dough recipe, then free-styled the filling with lots of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. The dough was really soft, sweet, and flaky. I felt like I was making a pie crust when mixing the dough, not a yeast bread! It was really delicious. This is the third thing I've tasted that was made from this dough, the first 2 made by my aunt, and all three times it tasted heavenly.

gallery_55196_5480_112535.jpg

gallery_55196_5480_167718.jpg

Of course, the frosting is cream cheese. =3

Edited by Brigid Mary (log)