• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I don't know if this qualifies for this thread, it not being particularly sweet, but today I made Oatmeal-Molasses Bread from Williams and Sonoma's Essentials of Baking.

I think I added a little too much molasses or used a much darker kind than they did because my loaves were noticeably darker than the example.

gallery_56081_5575_319761.jpg

Pictures of crumb and crust:

gallery_56081_5575_83943.jpg

gallery_56081_5575_800091.jpg

It's a slightly moist bread with an almost cake-like texture. You can see that it is a little moist in this picture I took with flash:

gallery_56081_5575_235148.jpg

It was good still warm and spread with butter (even though the recipe told me not to cut it till it was completely cool, blasphemy! I couldn't resist). It seems like a good replacement for generic, store-bought, whole wheat sandwich bread. Thoughts or comments?

gfron, that pistachio tuile is gorgeous. I LOVE pistachios!

here are a couple of things I've been making recently.

Certosino, Bolognese Christmas cake:

gallery_21505_2929_25236.jpg

and cappuccino cupcakes (coffee sponge with white chocolate frosting, recipe from Nigella Lawsons How to be a Domestic Goddess)

gallery_21505_4018_145817.jpg

Cinnamon Raisin Swirl bread from "Baking from my home to yours"- Dorie Greenspan

gallery_30767_5564_62626.jpg

I ran out of cinnamon which explains the lackluster swirl :angry:

This should make fantastic French toast if my family doesn't eat it all.

taken w/ my camera-phone

a very hungry college kid

Okay, I admit it. I am totally full of burning desire to eat my screen. Everythingis amazing!! The christmas cake is out of this world! The pistachio dessert is a work of art! Wow! You would be famous here there is no doubt about it. My humble but tasty (as usual) creations:The first is "Sahlav" pronounced with a guttural "h"!!! It is kind of like a hot pudding I guess, originally from the orchid plant (Sahlav). The second is a fridge cheesecake.

gallery_53591_4944_735.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_73268.jpg

Edited by Lior (log)

Has anyone else had the fantasy of opening the eGullet Café? I know there are a lot of lurkers who think we're all pros, but the vast majority of us aren't and I always chuckle when people say they like my desserts since I'm eGullet taught and only 2 years into this little obsession of mine. I remember my early disasters - and my current ones that you either don't see or you see an extreme close up photo :cool:

That would be great! I can't believe you have been doing this for only two years!! It would be nice to have an egullet pastry meeting one day - with lectures/demos and hands on. A few days in a hotel, mixed with some relaxation, dinners, etc!! We are from all over the world! Wouldn't that be interesting?!

Chufi - are those marcona almonds in the center?  Its a beautiful cake - is there a recipe somewhere to be shared?

I combined 2 recipes: the one in Nigella Lawsons How to be a Domestic Goddess, and the one in Lynne Rosetto Kaspars wonderful book about the cooking of Emilia Romagna, The Splendid Table .

The Nigella recipe can be found here: click

and my adapted version here on my Dutch blog (in Dutch...)

the almonds are not marcona almonds, just regular ones.

Chufi - are those marcona almonds in the center?  Its a beautiful cake - is there a recipe somewhere to be shared?

I combined 2 recipes: the one in Nigella Lawsons How to be a Domestic Goddess, and the one in Lynne Rosetto Kaspars wonderful book about the cooking of Emilia Romagna, The Splendid Table .

Chufi,

I checked out you blog for the cake. Is there any way that you could translate the recipe into English? The cake looks so beautiful, as all you dishes do.

Thanks, Pups

My humble but tasty (as usual) creations:The first is "Sahlav" pronounced with a guttural "h"!!! It is  kind of like a hot pudding I guess, originally from the orchid plant (Sahlav). The second is a fridge cheesecake.

I love sachlev! :wub: It looks delicious, especially in those fluted cups. :smile:

Chufi,

I checked out you blog for the cake. Is there any way that you could translate the recipe into English? The cake looks so beautiful, as all you dishes do.

Thanks, Pups

Pups, it's basically Nigella's recipe as linked to above, with the addition of:

3 tablespoons of cocoapowder added to the flour

spices: a pinch of nutmeg, ground cloves and a tiny pinch of pepper

nuts and fruits: 75 grams chopped walnuts

And I used 150 grams of almonds instead of her 200

And I added 150 grams candied fruits (orangepeel, candied pineapple and candied papaya was what I used)

next time I'd use more chocolate (both cocoa and chopped)

instead of the apricotjam glaze in Nigella's recipe, I brushed the decorated cake with warmed honey mixed with some hot water

Hope this helps!

Those truffle lollipops are adorable.  I don't have the book - how do you make them?

You make an almond toffee (butter, sugar, cream, corn syrup boiled to soft ball stage, poured over sliced almonds, then baked at 400 degrees on a sheet pan until bubbly and golden - spread out the mixture after a few minutes in the oven to get it thin). Then cut half of it into sticks while still warm but not liquid and pulverize the rest into crumbs when cool. Coat your truffles (these were a basic ganache truffle) with the crumbs and put a "stick: in them. If you want the ingredients and measurements for the toffee just PM me.

My humble but tasty (as usual) creations:The first is "Sahlav" pronounced with a guttural "h"!!! It is  kind of like a hot pudding I guess, originally from the orchid plant (Sahlav). The second is a fridge cheesecake.

I love sachlev! :wub: It looks delicious, especially in those fluted cups. :smile:

Hey Rehovot! Toda!! (thanks!)

Last night, my boyfriend and I baked a banana cream pie on a whim. We decided to go a calorie-friendly route, using Sweet-and-Low instead of sugar. And it was delicious!

I wish I took a picture of it - I'll either have to go back to his apartment and snap one before he eats the whole thing!, or I'll have to bake one again.

The process was really simple...it took us about 20 minutes to prep, and then 2-3 hours to let the pie cool in the fridge before topping with CoolWhip and devouring! :smile:

If you'd like the recipe, just send me a message and ask!

If Lior didn't shock herself when she bit her screen, she'll be able to see this pistachio cake set on pistachio tuile, with pistachio encrusted vanilla ice cream.

gallery_41282_4652_27398.jpg

Nice Rob! I think I want pistachios now.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Olive Me:

gallery_53467_5170_21593.jpg

lemon-olive oil cake w/ candied olives

olive oil ice cream

candied olive nibs

chocolate-olive oil mousse

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So, tri2cook, what was your inspiration in making that dessert? :laugh: That's great creativity, I wish I could get a taste :) I've never heard of candied olives before.

Eliza: brownies!!! :smile:

Here's my first attempt at a plated dessert and also my first attempt at an entremet. I called it a "Maya Gold", inspired by the organic chocolate bar that I wanted to play with.

gallery_53129_4592_11087.jpg

That's orange creme brulee with dark chocolate orange mousse and fudge brownie base (if I had tons of money, I would've added Grand Marnier in there somewhere to drive the point home), then glazed. Decor is candied orange peel and caramel, uh, thingies. Just to keep with the pyramid-jewel-theme. Bitten through:

gallery_53129_4592_20129.jpg

I'm really tired! :laugh:

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.