• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Mark, your opera looks great! I wouldn't worry about the glacage! Also, if you can't find blanched almonds, why worry (or if they cost too much)? I actually like the look of natural almond meal. And, unlike other nuts, the skin doesn't really affect the flavor too much. Obviously, you're getting a more refined look with blanched, but that's not always a concern!

Yeah, I actually could've saved a bit of money with natural almonds-- maybe even skinned them myself-- but at the time, I didn't know how to blanch almonds, I don't know if raw almonds would work with the recipe either and I couldn't risk a flop for my party :smile: but if it's just me and my family, yeah, rustic works! Thanks for the compliments alanamoana!

EDIT: I didn't know that about almond meal! I'll take note for next time. (Does that work on macarons too? I hope the rough parts aren't heavy and sink to the bottom during baking.) I was just following Dorie's recommendations :smile: I'm absolutely floored by your compliment, alana! Thanks so much!

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Yeah, I actually could've saved a bit of money with natural almonds-- maybe even skinned them myself-- but at the time, I didn't know how to blanch almonds, I don't know if raw almonds would work with the recipe either and I couldn't risk a flop for my party :smile: but if it's just me and my family, yeah, rustic works! Thanks for the compliments alanamoana!

most almond meal is not toasted (the nuts are raw when ground), so you can always replace blanched with natural. blanching and peeling is such a pain...i never bother. i think the only time i use blanched almond meal is when i'm working in a restaurant and they're paying for it!

your baking is just getting better and better from what i can see!

Bitter cold and snowy here in Buffalo, so I screwed up my courage to try making macarons for the first time.  Despite my food processor's feeble attempts at finely grinding the almonds, I think they turned out pretty well:

gallery_52844_5147_5344.jpg

Fantastic! It certainly doesn't look like a first attempt. Those would make anyone proud!!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Christmas is very baking-heavy here in Estonia, and I've been practicing a bit. Here are some desserts from the last week or so (my generous friends have been helping to eat all these):

Gingerbread aka piparkoogid:

gallery_43137_2974_67363.jpg

Coconut Macaroons (using this recipe):

gallery_43137_2974_28381.jpg

Gingerbread Tiramisu (using gingebread instead of Savoiardi biscuits):

gallery_43137_2974_64415.jpg

Tarte Tatin (I must use up all those apples my mum is sending me!):

gallery_43137_2974_9836.jpg

And last, but not least, David Lebovitz's Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake with Chocolate Glaze (it was excellent!):

gallery_43137_2974_37101.jpg

Happy holidays, everyone!!

Edited by Pille (log)

Gingerbread tiramisu sounds pretty cool. I don't know what you did for your's (which look awesome) but I'm picturing thick eggnog and mascarpone for the cream and a Maker's Mark flavored syrup for the soak.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I was up until 4am baking decorated sugar cookies (and back up to go to work at 7) :blink::huh: . They were the most boring ones I have ever made! I just scattered the sugar around. I think that Santa was red and Frosty was white, but I can't make any promises :wink: ! If the freakin' USPS would bring my new camera :angry: , I could show you how crazy they are!

zzzzzzzzzKim

Gingerbread tiramisu sounds pretty cool. I don't know what you did for your's (which look awesome) but I'm picturing thick eggnog and mascarpone for the cream and a Maker's Mark flavored syrup for the soak.

Thank you :rolleyes: Egg yolks + sugar, mascarpone, vanilla, Amaretto, whipping cream. Gingerbread soaked in espresso & Amaretto. Topped with sea-buckthorn berries.

Christmas is very baking-heavy here in Estonia, and I've been practicing a bit. Here are some desserts from the last week or so (my generous friends have been helping to eat all these):

Gingerbread aka piparkoogid:

gallery_43137_2974_67363.jpg

Happy holidays, everyone!!

Moomin! :wub:

Thanks for sharing that Ling!  Beautiful sweets and it sounds like it was a great time!

Here's what I made the other day - Chocolate-Peppermint Cheesecake Candy Cane Bars.  The base is made out of those Candy Cane Joe-Joe's from Trader Joe's (their version of Oreo's, except they have a peppermint creme filling).

gallery_51259_4126_20384.jpg

These were intense chocolate bars with a pound of chocolate in the filling and another half in the glaze!  The candy canes on top were more for decoration than anything, but the people who enjoyed these today loved snacking on them after they devoured the bars!

gallery_51259_4126_33646.jpg

Your photos are delicious! I love using peppermint candy as a theme in Holiday Desserts. Here are a couple, both using Tillamook Dairy Peppermint Candy Ice Cream. Great cows, lots of lush pasture, peppermint candy=wonderful ice cream.

Chocolate Brownie, Peppermint Candy Ice Cream, Dark Chocolate Sauce:

gallery_41580_4407_22883.jpg

Profiterole, Peppermint Candy Ice Cream, Chocolate Sauce, silly and ridiculous 'sprinkles' but at the same time fun and silly for the Holidays:

gallery_41580_4407_115042.jpg

a goose coma has rendered me incapable of doing much more than reclining on my parents' couch and posting a quartet of bûches...

OAK

gallery_8512_4054_85761.jpg

valrhona genoise

filled with milk chocolate buttercream w toasted pecans and bourbon

bittersweet leaves and squirrel

bittersweet and milk chocolate acorns

MAPLE

gallery_8512_4054_86113.jpg

maple genoise

brushed with maple eau de vie

filled and coated with maple syrup butttercream

garnished with maple syrup brittle leaves and tree rings

CHESTNUT

gallery_8512_4054_70798.jpg

chestnut flour genoise

brushed with chestnut liqueur

filled with chestnut-rum buttercream

covered with chocolate-chestnut-rum buttercream

garnished with bittersweet chestnut leaves

& truffles filled with chestnut marzipan, chestnut honey ganache, & roasted chestnuts

(if anyone can think of a way to inject another chestnut element, by all means speak up)

HOLLY

gallery_8512_4054_83681.jpg

white chocolate holly leaves & birds with candied cranberries

thanks everyone for all the kind comments throughout this last year...

dystopiandreamgirl, just beautiful! the attention to detail is amazing and i love, love, love that all your garnishes are references to the filling in each of the buches.

what a way to end the year...

can't wait to see what you're serving for new year's eve! can you top the quartet?

a goose coma has rendered me incapable of doing much more than reclining on my parents' couch and posting a quartet of bûches...

CHESTNUT

gallery_8512_4054_70798.jpg

chestnut flour genoise

brushed with chestnut liqueur

filled with chestnut-rum buttercream

covered with chocolate-chestnut-rum buttercream

garnished with bittersweet chestnut leaves

& truffles filled with chestnut marzipan, chestnut honey ganache, & roasted chestnuts

(if anyone can think of a way to inject another chestnut element, by all means speak up)

Wow I should live to be so incapacitated.

Why a chestnut platter of course! :laugh:

Beautiful work, great harmonies of components and stunning artistry.

Not a good place for our humble dessert-next to those works of art by dystopiandreamgirl!

Not true... a tasty dessert is never out of place.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just remember Lior, there's the desserts that you can't wait to stab a fork in and those that you're afraid to ruin with your fork...there's a place for everything yummy around here.

Here's my contribution - Amernick's Cheese Danish Sucrée as detailed HERE.

gallery_41282_4652_28423.jpg

Not a good place for our humble dessert-next to those works of art by dystopiandreamgirl! My son and his g.f. made Banana brule for usgallery_53591_4944_19102.jpg

Looks delicious :biggrin:

a very hungry college kid