• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Yesterday I did some baking for my father's birthday:

Dolores Casella's Date Nut Bread with Pecans.

Jayme's Maple Popcorn with Pecans. I salted the pecans. That stuff is soooo easy, it's frightening.

Cranberry Coconut Chewies from the Christmas cookie thread.

All very good. Can't decide on a favorite, but sticky popcorn is definitely a rare treat.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

How was the sweet potato pie??  A friend made it and gave it mixed reviews...  But it looks so yummy!

I thought it was ok to good, and not as good as regular sweet potato pie. The buttermilk gave it sort of a cheesecake-like quality and drowned out the taste of the sweet potatoes too much.

Since the Thanksgiving Day weekend I've been knee deep in chocolate confections. I've made about 250 pecan/caramel turltes from Elaine Gonzales Book, I made raspberry fondant and more mint fondant, Marshmallow with cinnanmon, Peanut Butter Crisp dipped in Semi and Milk chocolate, Molded Chocolate with Caramel centers, Coconut centers, geez what else. That's it for now. My Little Dipper has been on more than off lately. It like the energizer bunny it keeps going and going and going. I'm having a blast!! :raz: I just love working with chocolate. Hope everyone else is having fun baking and making whatever too......

Happy Holidays Everyone!! :smile:

Rena

Hilary, those gingerbread tiles look so elegant. I want a special rolling pin!!

I didn't make a lot of desserts but here they are:

Religieuses Framboises:

gallery_53129_4592_19664.jpg

Key Lime Bars and Lemon Squares:

gallery_53129_4592_7562.jpg

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Mark - I am really loving your photo style these days. It is perfect for the great colors you're using in your creations.

and PJM - where have you been! That's gorgeous! I hope you'll post slightly larger pics next time so we can really see the detail. Is that orb on top blown sugar?

I was playing around on my trip to Palm Springs. I didn't have any scales, measuring cups etc, so it was a bit over gelatinized. This was inspired by a bar of soap! Celery, lemon chiffon mousse with ginger, over sour cherry gelee, topped with Italian meringue and macadamia granola. It was really good. I'll work on a stronger celery taste and toning down the gelatin.

gallery_41282_4652_18877.jpg

Rob, thanks! I really appreciate it. You had no scales or measuring cups? I think the fact that it's just overgelatinized is no big deal! I am loving the description-- but I haven't yet reached gfron levels of adventure to use celery in dessert! (and to want to make it stronger!)

PJM, that is fantastic!

(hmm mousses popular at this thread today..)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

I was playing around on my trip to Palm Springs.  I didn't have any scales, measuring cups etc, so it was a bit over gelatinized.  This was inspired by a bar of soap!  Celery, lemon chiffon mousse with ginger, over sour cherry gelee, topped with Italian meringue and macadamia granola.  It was really good.  I'll work on a stronger celery taste and toning down the gelatin.

gallery_41282_4652_18877.jpg

Very cool, Rob. That is so many flavors, I'm having trouble "tasting" it in my mind's eye. Which flavor dominates, the lemon?

Definitely the lemon. Think lemon chiffon with an underlying taste of celery, and just a very small hint of ginger. It tasted just like I think my soap bar would taste :)

I'm not kidding when I say the taste was good enough that I am going to play more with this combo.

That's cool Rob! I've been playing around with veg in desserts since I was knocked out of my dessert comfort zone by the first Wild Sweets book. Some have been succesful, some not so much. I haven't been brave enough to spring any of them on my catering customers yet.

pjm333, that looks really nice. Wish it was a bigger pic so we could see more detail. Willing to share any details on what you have going on there?

jumanggy: Nice! I'm loving all that color and I wish I could make my food pics look as nice as you always do.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thank you Pat, that sounds wonderful! I love that the passion fruit glaze has a gradient of yellow to orange... looks smashing.

Ruth, thank you so much! :)

Tri2cook, hmmmmm maybe we can trade whatever photography skills I have for your dessert wizardry, how's that? :) Hahaha, thanks very much :)

PS I saw your fishing post in the Art of the Dessert thread--- Oh my God, you are such a liar! Whatever really! :)

gallery_53129_4592_12857.jpg

This is the Linzer Tart from Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Hermé, with added Valrhona cocoa in the crust. I had a few problems with the crust that I'm going to share in the special CDBPH thread :)

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

PS I saw your fishing post in the Art of the Dessert thread--- Oh my God, you are such a liar! Whatever really! :)

Thanks but that wasn't fishing. I'm comfy with glazes, decorations, flat surfaces, stuff of that nature but when it comes to breaking out the piping bags/tips I'm waaaay out of my element. My serious efforts are slightly controlled messes at best. That's not false modesty, I just know what I can do and what I don't do well and it doesn't bother me to laugh about it.

That tart looks awesome and how about your own cast... "whatever photography skills I have" my arse! Thought I'd miss that didn't you? :raz:

Thanks for the description pjm333, sounds as good as it looks.

Lior: Looks tasty!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.