• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

ollalieberries from the bushes along our creek, gently whipped cream flavored with a tiny amount of sugar and a slug of vanilla + a couple of warm financiers -- see Dorie Greenspan's recipe in the wonderful "Paris Sweets"--the batter keeps 3 days in the refrigerator so you only have to bake as many as you need for a particular meal.

Awesome. I'm so jealous. It's hard to keep chocolate in temper here (not that I've tried, ha ha...). Nice photo too, ready to stick in the menu of your nearest snooty restaurant :raz:

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to participate in this weekend's dessert-athon so here's my early and only submission to this event. I baked a Lady Baltimore cake last night and it turned out wonderfully. The cookbook I got the recipe from has generally been a disappointment so this cake's success was a surprise. Have you ever bought a cookbook that you keep trying recipes from, hoping that the next one will work out? After three failures, finally a winner!

It's kind of like a German chocolate cake except not chocolate...and with almond flavouring. The filling is a combination of coconut, toasted almonds, oatmeal cookie crumbs and marachino cherries. The cake itself is a basic white cake with almond extract and topped with a 7 minute frosting.

gallery_29268_5029_1070958.jpg

gallery_29268_5029_431178.jpg

We had a dinner party tonight, and hubby made:

Local (Pennsylvania) white peaches. Gorgeous. Sliced, served in a big red wine glass.

Topped with a bit of sugar, white wine, and tarragon.

We all swished it around in the glass a few times, and then dug in.

Delicious.

Topped it with a few local puffy blackberries.

Philly Francophiles

Inspired by Kathleen in her blog, I decided to make her bananana bread with chocolate chunks.

gallery_48583_5030_162018.jpg

Here's a slice, still warm and fresh from the oven...

gallery_48583_5030_393140.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I offered to make someone a birthday cake this week, and when he requested a yule log, I tried to think of a version which evoked summer rather than christmas. So, here is a cake of driftwood:

flourless chocolate souffle roll filled w ganache and candied orange peel;

covered with white chocolate modeling paste;

belgian white chocolate seashells;

candied angelica seaweed

caramel beach glass

raw sugar sand...

I'm calling it bûche de été.

gallery_8512_4054_119733.jpg

I offered to make someone a birthday cake this week, and when he requested a yule log, I tried to think of a version which evoked summer rather than christmas.  So, here is a cake of driftwood:

candied angelica seaweed

caramel beach glass

raw sugar sand...

I am awestruck that is absolutely stunning ..

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Here is the start of my jumanggy collection. I call this batch - Jumanggy: The early years :biggrin:

Avacado Milk Shake with Basil and Palm Sugar

gallery_41282_4652_36076.jpg

Palitaw (rice flour boiled cooked with sugar, sesame seed and coconut

gallery_41282_4652_47758.jpg

Steamed Palm Sugar Custard with star anise and cinnamon

gallery_41282_4652_46202.jpg

HEY! That's pretty cool! You managed to get palm sugar too! I suddenly wish I had a "gfron1" collection to return the compliment to my heritage :smile: (if these represent the "early years," I tremble with fear on the complexity of the succeeding desserts! GTO was right-- you are a dessert machine!)

Thankfully, the typhoon subsided intermittently so that I could take decent pictures.. It's now 1:30AM and I've been eating desserts and chatting with my friends since 8:30PM, so I'm really tired (and almost in a diabetic coma)! I'll post my whole party after a good night's sleep. *collapses*

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

What a start, gfron! Reallt original ideas and flavours, nothing at all like I was expecting.

And Mark, I was at work this afternoon and I thought "Wow, I dread to think how much dessert Mark and the others have eaten already." Altough have to say, What you're doing sounds wholely unsafe. You're insane, lol. KEEP GOING!

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I offered to make someone a birthday cake this week, and when he requested a yule log, I tried to think of a version which evoked summer rather than christmas.  So, here is a cake of driftwood:

candied angelica seaweed

caramel beach glass

raw sugar sand...

*THUD*

This is a work of art!

Last night I made one of my favorite summer desserts, 'Peach Brown Betty.'

We normally think of Brown Betty using apples, but it is just as delicious with peaches, apricots or pears. Whatever is at the peak of season will work, and finally, after a very hot July and cooler August, our peaches are at their best right now.

This is a very old-fashioned dessert that they say goes back to Colonial times. It is so simple, you can't believe it would taste so delicious. The basic recipe is simply fresh fruit, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg for the base. Then fresh bread crumbs and butter. That is it.

You can just cut the fruit up or make a fruit puree. For this recipe I pureed the peaches and added some peach schnappes along with the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Of course, it just has to be served with vanilla ice cream.

Here is the web address of a piece I wrote about cobblers, crisps and Betty's.

http://www.themediadrome.com/content/artic...isps_bettys.htm

oh yes, and the photos:

gallery_41580_4407_40246.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_39063.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_4351.jpg

candied angelica seaweed

caramel beach glass

raw sugar sand...

Stunning!

In my ongoing Jumanggy Collection, I present the growing years:

Here is ube / purple yam. A new food in my repetoire.

gallery_41282_4652_16928.jpg

And here is Ube Halaya which is a sweetened ube paste. I surprisingly like this:

gallery_41282_4652_34501.jpg

Ensaymada spruced up - a sweet dough coiled with 99% Cluizel and Meyer Lemon zest, sandwiching jackfruit ice cream.

gallery_41282_4652_14112.jpg

That really is an amazing piece of food art. You put so much thought and creativity into it.

It sounds delicious, too. How was it? Did you get to taste any of it?

Oops, I was referring to the driftwood, but the photos right above this post are also very cool.

Edited by Terrasanct (log)

Oboy! Rob, when I saw the champorado, my jaw dropped-- I had made the same thing! Awesome. Did you use arborio rice? Good job on the Ensaymada too. I've never tasted brioche, but I imagine that's almost what it would taste like (does it?)-- and the reason I've never tried making it. I don't have a mixer and it's very easy to procure it at the nearest neighborhood store. The Turon looks excellent. I could eat those all day. (Not a fan of purple yam, though.)

Okay. Here's everything I made this weekend. I won't be able to add to it, not because I don't have any more steam in me, but my friends have all gone and I can't eat any more. (By the way, the reason I held a dessert party was because me and all my friends passed the medical boards, so yay! Now, time to go look for a job/ residency. Groan.)

Here's everything from the party. Everything will slowly appear on my blog over the next few weeks.

gallery_53129_4592_23531.jpg

This is Pineapple Pie, Filipino-style. One of my favorite things.

gallery_53129_4592_20896.jpg

Blueberry Cheesecake Napoleons. I've never used puff pastry before so I was really amazed by this. Also my first time to make Diplomat Cream (+ Cream Cheese.) Awesome (subtle) taste. I knew I said I would never use canned pie filling again, but when it comes to blueberries, I have little choice. Got the idea from that Japanese pastry site.

gallery_53129_4592_9908.jpg

Blancmanger and strawberry gelée. 'Cause you wanna give an option to those who want something less rich...

gallery_53129_4592_18470.jpg

Fruit salad lemonade pavlovas. I used a meringue recipe from Chocolatier magazine, and I accidentally used 6 times the indicated amount of lemon juice (the recipe wasn't written very well... excuses). So they came out quite zesty, but still nice (hence I sneaked in "lemonade" up there, haha). I don't know why all pavlova recipes use too much sugar. Still too sweet. The fruits at least balanced it..

gallery_53129_4592_10081.jpg

White Chocolate Mousse with Dark Chocolate Mousse. Even with barely any sugar added, still too sweet. (I'm a subtle guy..)

gallery_53129_4592_12130.jpg

St. Lily Peach Cake, from Flo Braker. Brown sugar génoise filled with peaches and whipped cream all over. Flo Braker has never steered me wrong recipe-wise. Great birthday cake for my friend who also celebrated her birthday a few days ago.

gallery_53129_4592_27548.jpg

The Concorde. From Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Hermé. The meringue recipe yield was low for me, so I didn't have enough for a full third disk (it was smaller than the other two) and I barely had some for the meringue pillars. So yeah, 'tis an ugly concorde. But it did taste great... In the dark, my friends didn't care.

gallery_53129_4592_19680.jpg

Banana Brochettes with Bittersweet Chocolate Truffles, also from Chocolate Desserts. That pineapple thing is a standard method for serving bamboo skewers at a Filipino party. If you want to do it, don't do what I did and use a whole pineapple; cut it in half so it won't topple over as your guests take skewers from one side :laugh:

gallery_53129_4592_3470.jpg

Triple Chocolate Eclairs. Choux pastry is Pichet Ong's with 3 tablespoons Valrhona Cocoa mixed in with the flour.

Here's some I did the day after for me and my brother:

gallery_53129_4592_2014.jpg

White Chocolate Lasagna with Double Dutch Ice Cream and Dark Chocolate Ganache. Not original; I picked it up from a Food and Wine magazine I saw when I was 9 years old. So.... 16 years later, I thought I'd finally give it a try, but I cheated and used White Chocolate plastic, so the cooking gods got mad at me and melted the lasagna "ridges" (my plastic had too much/bad corn syrup mixed with it). Also, did not spend a lot of time making everything uniform and rectangular. I would have served this with raspberry coulis "marinara," but my brother's not a fan of berries.

gallery_53129_4592_14625.jpg

Pear Tempura with Champorado. That's maple(-flavored) syrup on the side. I'm not a fan of pears but was pleasantly surprised by this. I had to tempura them twice, though, to get a good "look." The glutinous rice I used for the porridge had an incredibly short grain so it doesn't look as good as Rob's.

Whew!

Mark

"Whew!" You meant that for the desserts, but it fits for passing your exams even better! We've been rooting for you thousands of miles away. And in fact, we had the same dessert theme going (for the most part) - A Filipino celebration. Your exam completion desserts are in the oven and coming this afternoon!

Mark - Holy freaking God, that is an incredible amount of inceridble desserts.

I'm thinking, if I had to pick a favourite...I'd probably go for the Peach cake. I love the combination of brown sugar and peaches.

So I guess it's a diet of rice and water for the next 3 years now? :laugh:

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar