• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

dystopiandreamgirl - to steal a line from a movie, those aren't pizzelles - those are Audrey Hepbrun movies. I love the detail, notably the white chocolate leaves. I've never seen or tasted a currant before, though.

I had banana fritters (Maruya in my language) and mango ice cream-- kind of a Filipino Banana Split if you will.

gallery_53129_4592_95942.jpg

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Oh no, it's me again. My version of La Pinay crêpe (a popular crêpe here): Chocolate Crêpes filled with mangoes, on a bed of mangoes, slathered with Nutella, and topped with Mango ice cream. I didn't puree any mangoes or use chocolate sauce to keep it clean (and hey, I know when to stop!!!-- despite what you may think, GTO) :laugh:

gallery_53129_4592_30378.jpg

Edit: the original La Pinay crêpe is the usual crêpe filled with mangoes, with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

dystopiandreamgirl: I think my jaw dropped open when I saw your charlotte. It looks amazing. Love the pizzelles too. Everything looks perfect.

jumanggy: That has to be the most chocolatey looking crepe I have ever seen. I want one -_-.

Edited by Panda (log)

dystopiandreamgirl: WoW. But why the moniker?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

dystopiandreamgirl - to steal a line from a movie, those aren't pizzelles - those are Audrey Hepbrun movies. I love the detail, notably the white chocolate leaves. I've never seen or tasted a currant before, though.

they aren't very common here in the states either - most people don't know what they are. they are tart and juicy and grow on bushes in beautiful clusters

But they are popular in europe, and come in red, white and black. the black have thicker skins, and are big in the UK where they flavor most children's medicines.

Last year I accessed all three and made a little culinary joke, with chocolate genoise "blini", white chocolate mousse "creme fraiche", and currant "caviar", with fennel fronds standing in for dill:

gallery_8512_4054_163417.jpg

the red currants, being nearly transparent with a visible seed, really do resemble salmon eggs.

Jmahl: it's a song by favorite indie band Built to Spill.

thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Becca - I'm definitely checking out that recipe! Looks scrumptious!

dystopiandreamgirl - beautiful creations!

Jumanggy - I wish I was home in the Philippines. Because if I was, I'd be knocking on your door asking for those chocolatey crepes! Beautiful! :wub:

A friend gave me white clingstone peaches... the first of the season.

gallery_48583_3621_360161.jpg

I decided to make peach pie... here it is baking in my tiny oven.

gallery_48583_3621_104745.jpg

Here's my rustic pie...

gallery_48583_3621_99240.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Becca: I have a cup of rice krispies, so I might do a single serve of your treats, thanks for the recipe :)

I bought the rice krispies for a modified version of Pierre Hermé's Plaisir Sucré but I discarded the dacquoise because I didn't like it... (way to sweet for my taste, hard as that is to believe)

On the blog, when "Pom tea" was mentioned, I had to do a double take 'cause I read it wrong... :raz:

Doddie: if you do happen to come home, you're more than welcome to have one! Though you can probably do a great version with the peaches. I've never seen a white peach before: it looks so precious, and so does the pie. :)

Emily, thanks!

Mark

Last night I made Blackberry Lemon Bars. I used my standard lemon bar recipe but added fresh Oregon blackberries. During the summer I make these lemon bars with blackberries, raspberries and when I can get them-loganberries or Marionberries.

I make a standard shortbread crust then pour a layer of lemon custard on top of the crust. I just add fresh whole blackberries to the custard layer. As the dish bakes, the blackberries soften into the custard base. After the dish cools, I add whole fresh blackberries on top and dust them with powdered sugar. It's a great way to use fresh summer berries.

gallery_41580_4407_15750.jpg

Ahhhh...pudding..... :)

Since we're doing puddings, I thought I'd enter one into the fray. I'm translating a web site on foods of Turkey (not only of Turks but of other peoples here as well), and as I feared, I've come across many things I've had to try. The lastest is an Armenian specialty called "khavidz." It's basically a thick pudding made of lightly toasted flour, milk, vanilla, sugar and more butter than I want to think about, poured into a buttered-and-semolina'd pan, and baked till the sides and top brown. My oven being a convection oven, the top browned before the sides could really get where I wanted them, and the glass baking dish surely didn't help. I'll try it again in a regular metal tepsi. (I thought glass would be handy so I could check its progress...but it didn't progress!)

Anyway, here's the finished product, which tastes very good. :rolleyes:

gallery_38081_3012_62906.jpg

Here's a cut piece. Yes, that's butter oozing out of it...

gallery_38081_3012_93002.jpg

It's semi-firm, very rich (with 125 gr of butter to one litre of milk it would be, wouldn't it) and definitely in the "comfort food" category. I've had a similar thing, though not baked, which was a little too thick for my liking. I will try an extra T of flour next time I make this one.

Edited by sazji (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Tried David's lemon squares recipe, except I used raspberries and didn't put the berries on top (I want to take some to work to share, and I didn't think the berries would transport well). They're super tasty--a lot better than the last time I tried to bake lemon squares (but we won't talk about that).

gallery_54928_4907_6624.jpg

Kate

Sazji , any chance you could share or point us towards an English-language recipe for the khavidz?  It looks wonderful!

Here's the recipe from my project. A comment - pouring boiling milk into flour makes instant lumps, and I had to use the wand mixer to get rid of them. I think it would be a good idea to cool the milk first, or mix the butter into the flour (or some of it) at the end of the toasting process a la white sauce; oiled flour will distribute better.

Khavidz

(Serves 8)

125 gr butter

1 litre milk

8 T flour

9 T sugar

1 t vanilla

1 T fine semolina

Boil the milk, sugar and vanilla together. On a very low flame, toast the flour in a pan for 20 minutes, without browning. Add the boiled milk little by little into the flour, and cook till the mixture comes to the consistency of a thin batter, then add the butter a little at a time. Butter a small baking dish and coat with semolina. Pour in the khavitz dough and cook till browned. When cooked, invert onto a serving plate and dust with cinnamon if desired.

Khavidz looks easy but achieving the correct consistency requires skill. It is one of the most delicious Armenian holiday sweets. Its interior should be like a thick pudding or even slightly runny; its exterior should be well browned just like kazandibi. The special "Khavidz days" at the old restaurants at the Covered Bazaar, where Armenian cooks worked, have long been forgotten. Khavidz today is kept alive only in a few households where traditions are preserved.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Tried David's lemon squares recipe, except I used raspberries and didn't put the berries on top (I want to take some to work to share, and I didn't think the berries would transport well).  They're super tasty--a lot better than the last time I tried to bake lemon squares (but we won't talk about that).

gallery_54928_4907_6624.jpg

Excuse me, but I tried to find David's lemon square recipe, but no luck. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

White Chocolate Cheesecake with Strawberry Swirl from the June 2003 issue of Cuisine at Home. It was really fantastic. :smile:

Really beautiful too! Thanks for posting the picture!

-Lea de Laria