• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I am sorry I didnt get any pictures but..

well it was actually lunch not dessert but I had a sfogliatelle and a chocolate mousse cream puff

for dessert (after dinner) I had another sfogliatelle and a chocolate mousse tartlett wit a fresh raspberry on top

All from Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken NJ

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Those look wonderful, Pille... That crust looks super-buttery.

My aunt/godmother came in from Canada, and she's an excellent baker, so my mom asked me to make something to show off. I didn't want to repeat, so I made Black Forest, based on the Chocolate Rhapsody recipe of Flo Braker (in The Simple Art. It was the biggest mess I've ever made in the kitchen. That mousse would not stay firm for more than a few minutes (the climate, y'know... next time: gelatin?), and the top layer actually broke into three while I was flipping it because I'm hard-headed and I wanted to use a chocolate butter cake whose time had come instead of a reasonable genoise/ sponge (next time: genoise). I cemented it together with extra chocolate mousse. I hope I hid it well. It says "Gateau Schwarzwalder" on top for no good reason except to misguidedly mash two languages together (next time: er, nothing). The stars on top have crazy bloom on them, so they're all different colors (next time: stick to cherries?).

gallery_53129_4592_104097.jpg

p.s. some of you may remember my woes regarding whipped cream. The rosettes there are made with the local UHT cream spiked with stabilizers. I guess I'm happy with it?

Edited to: change Flor Braker to Flo. She's not a Filipino!!

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

My chocolate cake isn't as fancy as Jumanggy's but by golly, it sure was tasty...

gallery_48583_3621_379838.jpg

I got the recipe from Pioneer Woman's blogs...

gallery_48583_3621_155620.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic, youngest son was clamoring for his cake. LOL :laugh:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

My chocolate cake isn't as fancy as Jumanggy's but by golly, it sure was tasty...

Sorry for the blurry pic, youngest son was clamoring for his cake. LOL  :laugh:

What size pan did you use? She uses a sheet pan, but there's no way I could fit a sheet pan in my oven. Did you downsize the recipe at all?

It does look delicious, though I probably won't be making anything like that till the fall. It's too hot, and I won't be in my own kitchen all summer!

Rona, I used my 9' cake pan plus 3 aluminum square pans. Now I have a lot of cake and hubby insisted that I don't give out any. He got 3 slices and said they're all for our consumption. LOL

Sorry for the blurry pic, youngest son was clamoring for his cake. LOL  :laugh:

What size pan did you use? She uses a sheet pan, but there's no way I could fit a sheet pan in my oven. Did you downsize the recipe at all?

It does look delicious, though I probably won't be making anything like that till the fall. It's too hot, and I won't be in my own kitchen all summer!

Actually her recipe uses a half-sheet pan, which fits comfortably in a standard oven.

Is your oven smaller?

If you do make it please use salted butter like she says. I missed that part, so mine was saltless. I sprinkled some on top though and actually sort of liked it.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

you ate a coffee eclair for breakfast?!?

I think I love you.

I spent 2 hours picking red currants cleanly off their stems (they always want to tug off with a little bit still attached) for this charlotte:

gallery_8512_4054_318570.jpg

I had two baskets of gooseberries to use - what is the deal with them? every time I cook them they have a vile musty smell, but they taste ok...am I the only one who experiences this? I thought it would make a nice mousse filling for the charlotte, but I was afraid others might not like it. So I mixed some leftover lime curd in - delicious! I wouldn't normally think to put lime, gooseberries and currants together but it worked.

I wish the picture was better; currants are so beautifully translucent...

gallery_53129_4592_103711.jpg

French Banana Split from Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme. I tried flambéeing for the first time. It did not create an inferno, much to my chagrin. (I suppose I should thank heaven that it didn't, but still... it looked so wimpy.)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

Actually her recipe uses a half-sheet pan,  which fits comfortably in a standard oven.

Is your oven smaller?

I think Domestic Goddess uses a Turbo Oven, which is quite small. My own oven is quite small compared to ovens in the US/Canada (it's at the most 12-inches squared), and I knew DG's was, too which is why I asked. I can't fit any kind of sheet pan--half or full, or even a regular-sized cookie sheet into my oven.

True, I use a Turbo Oven which is just a little bit bigger than a 9" cake pan. I used little rectangular aluminum pans for my sheet pan. It took 4 trays to use up the whole sheet cake recipe.

Mark - KA-BOOM! :laugh: Can you you imagine? haha, bananas are done.

Some really beautiful desserts going on, everyone is doing something different which is great. Fantastic looking cake dystopiandreamgirl.

Using the unbelievably simple recipe from Tartlette, I made these 'white chocolate Brownies', I just used cranberries instead of raspberries.

gallery_49436_4583_5327.jpg

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I used stuff I had on hand to make dessert last night-brownies, vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and maraschino cherries. It turned out to be one of the best desserts of late.

I broke the brownies into big chunks and sprinkled them around a couple of scoops of Tillamook vanilla bean ice cream. I drizzled some warm milk chocolate sauce on the ice cream and brownies and topped the sundae with a couple of maraschino cherries. Very good on a hot summer evening.

gallery_41580_4407_44815.jpg

Those look wonderful, Pille... That crust looks super-buttery.

My aunt/godmother came in from Canada, and she's an excellent baker, so my mom asked me to make something to show off. I didn't want to repeat, so I made Black Forest, based on the Chocolate Rhapsody recipe of Flo Braker (in The Simple Art. It was the biggest mess I've ever made in the kitchen. That mousse would not stay firm for more than a few minutes (the climate, y'know... next time: gelatin?), and the top layer actually broke into three while I was flipping it because I'm hard-headed and I wanted to use a chocolate butter cake whose time had come instead of a reasonable genoise/ sponge (next time: genoise). I cemented it together with extra chocolate mousse. I hope I hid it well. It says "Gateau Schwarzwalder" on top for no good reason except to misguidedly mash two languages together (next time: er, nothing). The stars on top have crazy bloom on them, so they're all different colors (next time: stick to cherries?).

gallery_53129_4592_104097.jpg

p.s. some of you may remember my woes regarding whipped cream. The rosettes there are made with the local UHT cream spiked with stabilizers. I guess I'm happy with it?

Edited to: change Flor Braker to Flo. She's not a Filipino!!

I'm sure your repairs went unnoticed. But you forgot to tell us how it tastes. As good as it looks?

I made a Turkish rosewater rice & custard pudding from Ann Amernick's The Art of Dessert. The Turkish rice turned out more liquidy than I thought it should, so I plated it up like a dessert soup prettied up with a couple local sour cherries from the farmers' market that I had candied in syrup using a Lebovitz recipe. It's really good if (as I do) you like rosewater and subtle flavored desserts that are not cloyingly sweet.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Mottmott: I had to give it away to my aunts and their families, but I tasted the individual components and it was great-- my Mom says the kids (my nephews) had to be stopped from eating it to leave some for everyone. I hope she's telling the truth! Have an effortless convalescence!

David, I hope to someday have brownies that are just "on hand!" :biggrin:

GTO, thanks for the link.. I'm always a little nervous buying a block of white chocolate because it expires in 5 minutes give or take. That's a great way to use it up (by the way, I hope you did add salt... That recipe had none). No fireworks here... Next time I'll use any liquor that is 140-proof!

Mark

Oh, didn't realize a thread like this existed. Tried making some flan yesterday. There were some air bubbles and I found it a bit too dense, but I wasn't completely unhappy with the results. I'll probably try out a different recipe next time or play around with the one I tried out.

Last night I did a Lemon Pound Cake that I served with fresh local raspberries and blackberries that were soaked in Orange Curacao and Chambord Liquers overnight. The Pound Cake was more 'pudding-like' in texture than a basic pound cake-probably because I doused the cake with more of the orange curacao!

gallery_41580_4407_29798.jpg

Not to make this a love-fest, but that is one beautiful charlotte!  Wow, when you cut it, please post a picture.

the charlotte I posted was given away, but I had enough components left to make another, which I brought to the office.

here's the leftover one cut into:

gallery_8512_4054_166397.jpg

gallery_8512_4054_53975.jpg

i was pretty happy with the filling; lime curd (RLB's) w gooseberry puree it turns out is very good, and i guessed at the right amount of gelatin as is shown by the clean but non-rubbery slice...

Not to make this a love-fest, but that is one beautiful charlotte!  Wow, when you cut it, please post a picture.

the charlotte I posted was given away, but I had enough components left to make another, which I brought to the office.

here's the leftover one cut into:

gallery_8512_4054_166397.jpg

gallery_8512_4054_53975.jpg

i was pretty happy with the filling; lime curd (RLB's) w gooseberry puree it turns out is very good, and i guessed at the right amount of gelatin as is shown by the clean but non-rubbery slice...

Oh my this is GORGEOUS!