• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Great Pithivier, Rob - The blueberries are a nice touch of something a bit different.

I'm tired today, but not being one to let that stand in the way of kitchen messery, I made Flapjacks (British Flapjacks. I understand that in the US, Flapjacks are more akin to pancakes?)

gallery_49436_4583_305407.jpg

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Looking good, guys! (Especially those taunting me with their fresh strawberries, grrr!) :smile:

GTO, yes, even here the rarely-heard word flapjacks refers to the American version. The English one looks more wholesome!

Kim, thanks for the kind words. I think I'll tackle harder sponge cakes next. I'm getting more and more comfortable with butter cakes. Also, if the cake is refrigerated, it cuts the sweetness a bit, which I prefer.

French Lemon Cream Tart (from Dorie Greenspan's Baking book). I made it for a friend's birthday, since she doesn't like cake much, but keeps begging me to make a nice crust! I licked the lemon cream from the blender like a madman.

gallery_53129_4592_5492.jpg

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I'm tired today, but not being one to let that stand in the way of kitchen messery, I made Flapjacks (British Flapjacks. I understand that in the US, Flapjacks are more akin to pancakes?)

Oooh, those look nice. I have a serious weakness for flapjacks (hey, they have oats - they're practically a health food, right?)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Chihiran - Flapjacks have always been deceptively healthy looking. Their principal ingredient is Oats, giving them that wholesome look. They're actually Oats, held together with butter, sugar honey and/or golden syrup...

So...Yeah, healthy. Great cookies, btw.

Edited by GTO (log)

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

They're a lot like american granola bars ... only a lot better :)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I've been dieting for a couple of months, and have pretty much completely deprived myself of desserts. This week I reached my target weight, and decided to celebrate with some doughnuts. These were filled with strawberry jam. Recipe here.

gallery_23736_355_20006.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I've been dieting for a couple of months, and have pretty much completely deprived myself of desserts. This week I reached my target weight, and decided to celebrate with some doughnuts. These were filled with strawberry jam. Recipe here.

gallery_23736_355_20006.jpg

Oh man - you're killing us here! My husband and I are drooling - send some over!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Congratulations, Patrick!

This thread isn't nearly getting enough posts-- I'm beginning to wonder if there is a dessert moratorium!

Yeah, I noticed that too. I've been doing a bit of experimenting lately but I keep forgetting to take pictures. Not that they're all that interesting but I feel funny posting about them without pics when everybody has the nice pics with theirs. I worked on something tonight that I'll finish up tomorrow so if I remember to grab a picture I'll share it here even if it isn't very exciting.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Brandy Snap baskets with melon cream. This was my first ever attempt at Brandy snaps. Was it worth the time and effort?

...Experience-wise, yes. Taste-wise, yes. The cream had an odd, slightly bitter taste, which was confusing.

gallery_49436_4583_196899.jpg

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Nice! What did you use to mold (mould?) it? It's beautifully random. Was it a brioche mold (mould)?

( :smile: just teasing you on the spelling there, ha ha)

So that's where the raspberries went!

The cream was bitter? What else was in it?

Tri2cook: please keep the pictures coming! It's nice to keep getting ideas from this thread.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

Last night with my fresh Ruston peaches, I made peach ice cream with Transparent Maple Tuiles from Dorie's new book.

gallery_32986_4430_197238.jpg

Tonight, I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from Cook's Illustrated.

gallery_32986_4430_660613.jpg

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

Ooh, I've never had peach ice cream before. Would love to try it (we don't have that flavor here). Maybe I ought to invest in the ice cream maker already...

541902166_756f2ddeeb_o.jpg

Tart aux Fraises. (I called it tart aux coeurs des fraises, but I don't know if that makes any sense..) I couldn't stop thinking of it since I saw it on Chocolate and Zucchini (the flickr page, not the blog). My goal was to have none of the pastry cream showing, so I failed! Also, I forgot how un-sweet pastry cream was. I hope the berries are sweet enough to offset this.

The more I look at it, the more I think "Pac-Man" than hearts.. :smile:

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

Awesome looking strawberries, Mark. You must have needed great patience to cut them all like that.

The brandy snaps were just: Butter, sugar, honey & flour. They were just moulded over an ordinary drinking glass.

I used a Galia melon, which are incredibly sweet and delicate. I'm beginning to think there may have been a little too much nutmeg in the cream.

The raspberry was purely decorative, it played no integral role. :biggrin:

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

To a food photographer, a raspberry does have an integral role, wink wink :wink: I've never tasted raw nutmeg before, though.

Thanks for your kind words, GTO! Cutting strawberries was okay, just some meditation before studying cases :smile: (I must have spaced out while doing it.) I couldn't taste if everything was okay before I served it, so I made chocolate sauce on the side in case it wasn't sweet enough. It was a hit, so yay!

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

Sometimes you feel like a nut...

nut1.jpg

nut2.jpg

A play on the candy bar. Almond Joy Panna Cotta. Two layers of bittersweet chocolate panna cotta with a layer of coconut panna cotta, almond syrup and a "soil" made with bittersweet chocolate, almond butter and maltodextrin. The chocolate layers need a bit of tweaking, I wasn't completely happy with it, but otherwise it turned out ok.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Littlest one asked for Marboro Man's favorite dessert - Cinnamon Rolls...

gallery_48583_3741_203601.jpg

I made five trays of this wonderful dessert...

gallery_48583_3741_170654.jpg

Close-up of the wonderful sugary goodness...

gallery_48583_3741_134538.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

GTO - LOL, it took me 3 tries before I finally got the hang of it. Of course, I had a wonderful recipe to begin with (from of a Pioneer Woman's blog). So far, these batch are the best - the rolls are soft but has a nice crusty outside shell and the glaze is awesome.

Tri2Cook - that looks pretty exciting to me! I hope you post some more-- although there's not much to my favorite candy bar, it's just a Nestlé Crunch :biggrin:

Doddie - that looks yummy (and a lot-- I hope you have a crowd to share it with!). Why Marlboro Man?

gallery_53129_4592_28666.jpg

I had some leftover cream (from making Chocolate Sauce) so to continue our laminated dessert series (that's the best parallel I could come up with), I made Basil Panna Cotta with Green Tea Gelée. I was afraid the green tea would taste bad because after I'd infused it, it smelled like RUBBER. I wanted to vomit. I smelled the tea bag to check if it was really supposed to be that way, or if I'd burned the tea (with boiling water?) or the green food coloring (can that happen with 200° water?). Thankfully, it had no super-bitter taste. After it cooled down, though, it wasn't clear anymore, that was disappointing. I wanted a clear green jelly. The Panna Cotta overpowered the jelly; the green tea was undetectable. Oh well!

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

Jumanggy - I got the recipe from Confessions of a Pioneer Woman's blog. The Pioneer Woman is Ree and she is married to a Marlboro man, a honest to goodness real life cowboy. I got her recipe for the cinnamon rolls (one of Marlboro man's favorite dessert). Most of the rolls went to my hubby's co-teachers. Yeah, I'm a big hit in their school. :biggrin:

Oh, this thread is on the second page! And consecutive desserts from me. :sad:

I made some carrot cupcakes for a friend's study group, also because I had extra cream cheese frosting tucked away. Let me add to what I said about an assistant to wash dishes-- I also need them to grate carrots! Was manually grating them so there was a lot of slippage. This is Ina Garten's recipe. I omitted the walnuts because I don't like them that much (read: if I bake it, no nuts, if others bake it, it's fine). I omitted the raisins because my friend hates raisins. I didn't add crushed pineapple because it's risky (not a popular addition). They were very moist despite this.

gallery_53129_4592_38177.jpg

gallery_53129_4592_78508.jpg

Also, that is not the photographed color of the carrots, I had to manipulate it on the computer. I wonder what I was thinking when I bought a bottle of creamy peach. Duh. It came out a creamy peach, not orange. Also, it's warm as usual so the leaves I piped with a leaf tip might as well have been spooned on :biggrin: I should have taken a rest and chilled everything.

Mark