• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

It started out to be a Delicia a Limon, but I wasn't liking where it was going, so I added a sour cherry gelee disc on the bottom, weakened the chantilly and added sour cherry gelato. Not pretty, but it was pretty good.

A delicia a limon is a lemon pan di spagna (genois) filled with lemon pastry cream, where the pan is soaked with limoncello. The whole thing is covered in a lemon chantilly sauce. Traditionally it is made in the shape of a woman's breast. Since I modified, I omitted the whipped cream nipple.

gallery_41282_4652_11645.jpg

gallery_41282_4652_44041.jpg

GTO, those look very refreshing! I think I may do the same since there's always pineapple around, but it'll be a miracle to "find" poundcake in my freezer!

Rob, I disagree; those still look pretty. (I just found your entry on recipeGullet) I think pink and pale yellow is a very pleasing combination (and cherries, one of my favorite flavors.)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Mark: Rest assured, they were just bought sponges. They were from a Sainsbury's 12 pack of mini cakes that my brother took for his students on Parents evening.

Great looking squares, Jow. I love it when cake is gooey enough to smooth it's own sides when you cut into it.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

What cookbook did those come from?  They look awesome, and I don't even like chocolate that much!  Or maybe it's just your picture of them that's awesome...

They are from Baking By Flavor - Lisa Yockelson is the author.

Great looking squares, Jow. I love it when cake is gooey enough to smooth it's own sides when you cut into it.

Thanks!

I had some cookies and milk.

gallery_9138_54_27808.jpg

("Oreo Cookies" from Retro Desserts by Wayne Brachman. A grown up, even better version of the original. Though not too grown up - my boys love these!)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Please tells us about the Muslim Bean Pie.  Looks great - what is it?

I would love to share this!! nothing very exotic just down home cooking and really inexpensive good pie!

Muslim Bean pie is around here a lot mostly in the city in Soul Food type places...I used to get it at this great Muslim Fish and Chips joint near my work ...I kept trying to make it for the longest time (ate a lot of pie because they would not give me the exact recipe! I finally realized it was more nutmeg less cinnamon and just like pumpkin pie with beans in place of the pumpkin) anyway it is a good easy and reliable pie kind of like sweet potato but beany!

I hope you like it!

here is my version of the one I used to eat ..they taste exactly the same except I like the heavy cream vs canned milk ...

in the blender or food processor put the following (this make three shallow or two deep dish pies and they keep really well)

2 cups packed cooked navy beans

1 stick melted unsalted butter

1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg

1/2 tsp fresh grated cinnamon

1 1/2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 tsp vanilla (I used the scrapings of one vanilla bean)

1.5 cup of cream or a can of evap milk

2 tble AP flour

1/2 tsp salt (more or less)

blend everything up well until smooth and creamy then pour in a unbaked pie shell

bake at 375 for 15 min then reduce to 350 for about 30 or until a toothpick comes out clean

top with minted whipped cream

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Your bean pie looks really good! And I notice another important difference between your pie and the commercial ones sold in these parts wrapped in plastic: Butter, rather than margarine or hydrogenated vegetable oil. Also, you're making it from scratch using fresh and not canned beans, etc.

Michael aka "Pan"

Flaky Apple Turnovers from Cook's Illustrated's Baking Illustrated. The pastry is quick puff. I was scared it wouldn't be as good as traditional but it was very flaky and buttery. The filling is grated granny smiths mixed with sugar, lemon juice, and a little salt. You press out all the extra liquid, it worked great. They are then refrigerated and dusted with cinnamon sugar.

They were perfect!!

gallery_32986_4430_192342.jpg

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

Becca: break it open!

Drawing inspiration from Bon Appetit's June 2006 cover, I made this Berry Layer cake, which is Flo Braker's White Butter Cake (a touch too sweet for my taste... no, really), the usual cream cheese frosting, and instead of fresh berries, canned (Comstock). Huge mistake. Despite me trying to get as much of the cornstarchy syrup out of them, it still looks like white trash cake. I would have preferred to use fresh, but they cost $6 for 3 ounces (Driscoll's), which was too much for me. By the way, this was my first time to use Comstock. Lesson: DON'T USE COMSTOCK!!!!

gallery_53129_4592_38160.jpg

Well, it tasted good anyway, if a little too sweet.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

Inspired by the Hummingbird Cake thread, here's my take on Saveur's recipe. I've never had one before and I didn't get any of this since it was a gift for a friend, who 2 years ago mentioned that it was her favorite type of cake (my dessert memory is like an elephant's). Unfortunately, since it was a gift, I also couldn't get a slice shot. But it probably looks like cake inside :biggrin:

gallery_41282_4652_17032.jpg

GTO: BWAHAHAHA!!! :laugh: I served this to a bunch of friends from med school, and sure enough I called it intestine cake (actually I had more than that, but I'm editing to protect the sensitive reader!). Thank heavens they were easily impressed and not at all the eGullet forum poster type (hmmmm). Something for the "Dessert II: The horror! The horror!" thread.

Rob: Friend, schmriend! I'm sure they would understand if it had a slice cut out of it. "aaah.... must've been for the eGullet forums" :smile: I had to look up hummingbird cake. Now I feel like spreading cream cheese frosting on a banana loaf someone gave us.

... I ought to start jogging or something. :smile:

Mark

I’m a rare visitor to the dessert thread, but today we picked fresh strawberries . . .

gallery_42956_2536_35043.jpg

. . . and made strawberry crisp. I started with the blueberry crisp recipe in the King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion. For the filling, I cut the sugar in half, substituted 3 tablespoons of cornstarch for ¼ cup of flour, and sprinkled in ground cinnamon and cloves. When the crisp was done, we sprinkled on a little ancho chile powder, which added a nice hint of “what is that extra flavor?”

gallery_42956_2536_22044.jpg

those strawberries look beautiful and your crisp looks delightfully rustic...served with ice cream or whipped cream, i hope?

Thanks, Alanamoana. Strawberry crisp and ice cream would have been delicious, but the boys and their friends finished all of the ice cream the night before. It's like living with locusts. Anyway, strawberry season has a few weeks left, so maybe we can try again.

Rustic – yep, that’s about right for my desserts. :rolleyes::smile:

. . . and made strawberry crisp.(...) When the crisp was done, we sprinkled on a little ancho chile powder, which added a nice hint of “what is that extra flavor?”

gallery_42956_2536_22044.jpg

had to get some chile into it, even if it was dessert, eh? :wink:

It´s strawberry season!

We had Eton Mess this weekend. Gets it´s name from Eton College in England. Crumbled meringues, strawberry puree, chopped strawberries, cream. Mmmm.

gallery_21505_4018_91574.jpg

I don't have a thing to offer, but I have been reading the posts here lately and drooling. I have to let you all know how wonderful everything looks!

GTO - I love your little trifles! What a great idea. I'm going to steal that :raz: !

Joe - your chocolate squares look like the love child of a brownie and a chocolate sheet cake :laugh: ! Beautiful and seductive!!

Mark - I see what you mean about the goopiness of the pie filling, but the cake itself looks wonderful - nice, tight crumb. Could you possibly PM me the recipe - it looks like something that I would like for my lemon/coconut experiments :biggrin: !

Bruce - good God! Those strawberries are fantastic looking! I really, really hope that the local strawberries will be good this year!

Becca - your tart is gorgeous! I am so envious of your skills!

Chufi - oooooh! I think I need to make a mess soon :wub: !

Thank you all for sharing your wonderful skills! I am so grateful for the folks here!

Kim