• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I got curious too and did a search.  I think this is the culprit.

http://pioneerwoman.typepad.com/confession...mon_rolls_.html

You're a far better google-er than I! This will be my Sunday project! Or maybe late next week project, depending on how long my perogies take (I'm Canadian, I can call them perogies).

Heh, and you're far more industrious than I! I'm Canadian too, and I prefer to buy my perogies from the local Eastern European deli. Fantastic little mini ones!

Quentina

I got curious too and did a search.  I think this is the culprit.

http://pioneerwoman.typepad.com/confession...mon_rolls_.html

You're a far better google-er than I! This will be my Sunday project! Or maybe late next week project, depending on how long my perogies take (I'm Canadian, I can call them perogies).

From another Canadian... I don't get it... what's wrong with calling them perogies? What do others call them?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

What do you do when you can't sleep and you're sick with asthma and bronchitis? You get up and make this....

Confessions of a Frontier Woman's Cinnamon Rolls

gallery_48583_4079_295004.jpg

The problem making this bite-size is that hubby snatches one and pops it into his mouth everytime he passes by.

gallery_48583_4079_370022.jpg

I know, I know... I'm a rabid cook.

those look delish! I looove that blog AND those rolls (made them last week, but accidentally burned a few pans :sad: . They were great, though!)

Chufi's "Gevulde koeken"

dutchcookies1.jpg

I did the best I could converting the measurements, but I think I messed up because the cookies were kind of tough. Those online converters NEVER work for me. I need to buy a digital scale!

They were still very tasty!

For the Confessions cinnamon rolls, how many grams/ounces/cups are in a bag of icing sugar? The recipes call for a bag, but a bag of icing sugar in Japan is maybe 1/2 to 1 cup.

At the risk of going too far off-topic, as a friend constantly reminds me, perog/pierog (however you want to transliterate it) is singular, perogi/pierogi is plural. And I wish I could buy them from a nice old Ukrainian baba, but I've not yet found one in Japan!

Perhaps I'll make some fruit ones, too. I've never had fruit perogy. And it's bringing the talk of perogies a little closer to the dessert topic!

Rona, I used about 2 cups and a half of powdered sugar. I added some more when the liquid was too watery. I guess you just tweak it until the mixture turns thick but pourable.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

This is more of a morning or afternoon coffeecake but since there's no thread entitled "what's for brunch" I'm posting it here.

It's Emily Luchetti's upside down rhubarb cake from 4-Star Desserts, increased to one and a half of the recipe and made square instead of round.

It was fun to lay out the rhubarb; even more fun to unmold it; needless to say eating it was a pleasure (Emily has never let me down); and most fun of all was posting it on Flickr and starting an upside down cake group (upside-down cake pool).

Just did that this morning and haven't had the time to invite other photos yet but hope to do so tonight. First 2 pages of search alone reveal pineapple, banana, cranberry, pear, apple, blueberry, cape gooseberries, apricots...so check back in a week for more upside-down deliciousness!

gallery_8512_4054_62273.jpg

Edited by dystopiandreamgirl (log)

I was craving the idea of black sesame financiers. The first attempt wasn't quite what I was after, but I made some tweaks, and this version tasted pretty nice:

Kurogoma financiers with kuromitsu (from my blog)

gallery_24764_4520_405493.jpg

It's served with kuromitsu, a Japanese molasses-like syrup, which makes it even better. The recipe, hopefully reasonably well recorded, is here .

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Caramelized Cardamom Apples With Pistachio Cream from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cookery. It was really good. It is such a great combination of ingredients and textures.

gallery_32986_4430_652195.jpg

Edited by Becca Porter (log)

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

This is more of a morning or afternoon coffeecake but since there's no thread entitled "what's for brunch" I'm posting it here. 

It's Emily Luchetti's upside down rhubarb cake from 4-Star Desserts, increased to one and a half of the recipe and made square instead of round.

It was fun to lay out the rhubarb; even more fun to unmold it; needless to say eating it was a pleasure (Emily has never let me down); and most fun of all was posting it on Flickr and starting an upside down cake group (upside-down cake pool). 

Just did that this morning and haven't had the time to invite other photos yet but hope to do so tonight.  First 2 pages of search alone reveal pineapple, banana, cranberry, pear, apple, blueberry, cape gooseberries, apricots...so check back in a week for more upside-down deliciousness!

gallery_8512_4054_62273.jpg

I love this-it looks like a mosaic!

They're upside down and I used 1 inch muffin forms, but the texture is totally different than muffins (a kind of indescribable crispiness that yields without breaking).

There's no yolk, for one thing. The flour quantity is very minimal; the nuts (typically almonds) are proportionally more than the flour. And the number one difference: brown butter!

I've sometimes baked them flat and sliced them into cubes, as Licorous seems to do in my hood.

I was craving the idea of black sesame financiers. The first attempt wasn't quite what I was after, but I made some tweaks, and this version tasted pretty nice:

Those look like upside-down muffins. How are they different from muffins?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

It's served with kuromitsu, a Japanese molasses-like syrup, which makes it even better. The recipe, hopefully reasonably well recorded, is here .

Jason, those are just gorgeous. Sesame, especially black sesame is one of my favorite flavors. I went to your blog and copied the recipe. I'd really like to try these. Thank you for posting.

Kim

Olive oil cake topped with a bitter orange marmalade glaze.  I love the flavors in this cake: anise seed, rosemary, orange juice.  Really good!  I must confess, this was breakfast today. :wub:

gallery_15437_3722_1184937.jpg

Looks great! What type of olive oil did you use? I assume it was evoo, but was it fruity, spicy...?

I have an olive oil cake recipe in an an excellent olive oil cookery book but still haven't tried it. It is the type of thing that intrigues me and seems questionable at the same time since olive oil has such a strong presence. Seeing that photo though has just about pushed me over the edge into trying it.

Olive oil cake topped with a bitter orange marmalade glaze.  I love the flavors in this cake: anise seed, rosemary, orange juice.  Really good!  I must confess, this was breakfast today. :wub:

gallery_15437_3722_1184937.jpg

Looks great! What type of olive oil did you use? I assume it was evoo, but was it fruity, spicy...?

I have an olive oil cake recipe in an an excellent olive oil cookery book but still haven't tried it. It is the type of thing that intrigues me and seems questionable at the same time since olive oil has such a strong presence. Seeing that photo though has just about pushed me over the edge into trying it.

It does call for EVOO. I used my favorite everyday brand, DaVinci. Suprisingly the olive oil flavor is not what I taste in the final product. The anise seed, lemon zest, rosemary, orange juice and triple sec are the more predominant flavors. It is really moist and the flavors I find to be more sophisticated than the usual dessert. I brought it to a party and I've had four people call and ask for the recipe. PM me if you'd like the recipe I used. Next time I may try a rhubarb/strawberry compote on top.

we had a dessert of "scraps". I had leftover almond sponge cake from making two opera type cakes for a baby shower and so I cut it into four layers, slathered it with vanilla neoclassic buttercream and bittersweet chocolate neoclassic buttercream (i had a small amount of each in the freezer from a cake I made last week) and chilled it so it would be easy to cut. Very yummy!

Edited by doughgirl (log)

Alinka, beautiful pic!

gfron, I love the lavender desserts and I especially love that they are served on dixie plates! I made a lavender shortbread once and found it was way too strong the first day but mellowed considerably the next. Did you find that?

Joe, Yum! That looks like something I'll need to make soon!

This was our dessert last night...a Cinderella cake I made for my daughter's third birthday. Chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and vanilla buttercream. Very sophisticated, non?!

gallery_15437_3722_749929.jpg