• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Dessert tonight will be my wedding present to a friend:

gallery_48670_4405_17212.jpg

Which happily is no longer on my counter but already transported safely party central, along with some lemon sugar cookies which are delish, but, alas, not as exciting to look at.

Thanks! To be honest, the blue of the fondant was meant to be significantly lighter, but I misjudged just a little :huh: .

I felt a lot better after I realized that my friend has a dresser exactly that color.

If you like it a lot, I've got a few extra pounds just lounging about the fridge...

Haha, cool. I'd be constantly playing with it if it were in mine.

It's shocking how little colouring icing needs isn't it? I remember doing it once when I was little and at first, nothing happened. Naturally, I insisted we add more but suddenly, it went. I very nearly passed out :biggrin: ...

"It's going! Where is it all coming from!?"

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Cook's Illustrated's Triple-Citrus bars. Really good!

gallery_32986_4430_515538.jpg

This picture makes my mouth water, Becca! What comprised the "triple" aspect of the citrus? Citrus is a passion of mine, but so often become sugary in baking - losing that puckery aspect that I adore.

Rover

Rover, I am the same way. I cannot abide a too-sweet citrus dessert. These were perfect. They had 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange, lime, and lemon zest each. 1 tablespoon orange juice, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 6 tablespoons lime juice... CI really knows how to do citrus. Their lemon bars and cookies, and lime pie or bars, and lime and orange sherbet are all perfect.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

Easter Dessert Buffet:

gallery_34972_3570_106375.jpg

Coconut Cake w/ Sugared Roses:

gallery_34972_3570_914367.jpg

My first try at sugaring flowers. It turned out a little thick even though I did use super-fine sugar.

Coconut Cake - inside view:

gallery_34972_3570_64000.jpg

Vanilla Cupcakes w/ a cute frosting treatment:

gallery_34972_3570_702263.jpg

I called these my Monet Carrot Cake Bars :rolleyes: . I had no idea that you couldn't put royal icing on top of cream cheese frosting :blink: These were cute little carrots the night before. This is what they looked like when I took the cover off Easter afternoon:

gallery_34972_3570_439115.jpg

Cookies and Candy:

gallery_34972_3570_205863.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_296397.jpg

Hope everyone had a great holiday week!

Kim

What do you do when you can't sleep and you're sick with asthma and bronchitis? You get up and make this....

Confessions of a Frontier Woman's Cinnamon Rolls

gallery_48583_4079_295004.jpg

The problem making this bite-size is that hubby snatches one and pops it into his mouth everytime he passes by.

gallery_48583_4079_370022.jpg

I know, I know... I'm a rabid cook.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

… coconut and passionfruit jellies …

cute!

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

This is one of my favorite areas on Egullet to look, and I finally had the wherewithall to remember to take a photograph to contribute. Here is my take on Claudia Fleming's Coconut Tapioca Soup with passion fruit and coconut sorbets and a coconut tuile garnish, from "The Last Course".

I hope this works. I usually don't participate much because I've never been sure how.

gallery_16977_4504_20086.jpg

Easter Dessert Buffet:

gallery_34972_3570_106375.jpg

Coconut Cake w/ Sugared Roses:

gallery_34972_3570_914367.jpg

My first try at sugaring flowers.  It turned out a little thick even though I did use super-fine sugar.

Coconut Cake - inside view:

gallery_34972_3570_64000.jpg

Vanilla Cupcakes w/ a cute frosting treatment:

gallery_34972_3570_702263.jpg

I called these my Monet Carrot Cake Bars :rolleyes: .  I had no idea that you couldn't put royal icing on top of cream cheese frosting  :blink: These were cute little carrots the night before.  This is what they looked like when I took the cover off Easter afternoon:

gallery_34972_3570_439115.jpg

Cookies and Candy:

gallery_34972_3570_205863.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_296397.jpg

Hope everyone had a great holiday week!

Kim

Lovely! Can you tell me about the candy in the last photo that looks like some kind of Eastery-bark?

What do you do when you can't sleep and you're sick with asthma and bronchitis? You get up and make this....

gallery_48583_4079_295004.jpg

The problem making this bite-size is that hubby snatches one and pops it into his mouth everytime he passes by.

Yea! Arn't they fantastic! I absolutely loved them. I did use a little less butter in the filling. A little more than a stick per batch of dough. Also, I learned that it is best to melt the butter way ahead of time so that it would be thickened before you pour it onto the dough.

The glaze makes them. The coffee and maple extract is just addictive. As soon as I get my penzey's cinnamon in I am making another batch. It is so great to have pans to give out to people, although it is made difficult because they are so good.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

Yea! Arn't they fantastic! I absolutely loved them. I did use a little less butter in the filling. A little more than a stick per batch of dough. Also, I learned that it is best to melt the butter way ahead of time so that it would be thickened before you pour it onto the dough.

The glaze makes them. The coffee and maple extract is just addictive. As soon as I get my penzey's cinnamon in I am making another batch. It is so great to have pans to give out to people, although it is made difficult because they are so good.

Becca - I did the same thing, I backed off on the butter and let it thicken for awhile before pouring. Hubby saw me making the glaze and dipped his finger into it. His eyes popped out and proceeded to take more than 3 finger dips while exclaiming "this is good! THIS IS REALLY GOOD!". Hubby ate six rolls last night. :blink:

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

OK, I've searched and searched and cannot find this recipe anywhere!!! They look so good, I really need some ooey gooey cinnamon buns!

OK, I've searched and searched and cannot find this recipe anywhere!!! They look so good, I really need some ooey gooey cinnamon buns!

I got curious too and did a search. I think this is the culprit.

http://pioneerwoman.typepad.com/confession...mon_rolls_.html

Quentina

jende - for the candy, I basically use this recipe. But I make some changes. I use twice (at least) as much white chocolate as called for. I put the mini oreos in the pan first, then scatter around the rest of the stuff - I used peanuts, Easter candy corn, dried cranberries & cherry yogurt covered mini pretzels. Then I poured the melted white chocolate over and put some of the prettier things on top and press down. I also had some little decorations that looked like miniature Easter eggs, so I scattered some of them on top, too. I also do this candy for Halloween & Christmas.

Kim