• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

We had Bittersweet Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting and Grated Bittersweet Chocolate on top. (and then we all lapsed into a diabetic coma.... :raz: )

cupcake1.jpg

I want! Can we have a recipe?

Sure! It's actually a cake recipe that makes no mention of cupcakes, but they worked fine. Be forewarned, the batter is pretty thin. Here's the RECIPE

I also grated most of a bar of Lindt bittersweet chocolate into it and they came out wonderful! I actually liked the cake more than the frosting so I'll leave you to find a better one. (I didn't use the one listed, I used another which turned out to be a mistake....too sweet and grainy!) They also bake up to pretty high dome (not sure if you like that or not):

cupcake3.jpg

cupcake4.jpg

As you can see, I greased and floured the cupcake pan, so I'm not sure how liners would work out. (probably fine)

We had Bittersweet Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting and Grated Bittersweet Chocolate on top. (and then we all lapsed into a diabetic coma.... :raz: )

cupcake1.jpg

I want! Can we have a recipe?

Sure! It's actually a cake recipe that makes no mention of cupcakes, but they worked fine. Be forewarned, the batter is pretty thin. Here's the RECIPE

I also grated most of a bar of Lindt bittersweet chocolate into it and they came out wonderful! I actually liked the cake more than the frosting so I'll leave you to find a better one. (I didn't use the one listed, I used another which turned out to be a mistake....too sweet and grainy!) They also bake up to pretty high dome (not sure if you like that or not):

cupcake3.jpg

cupcake4.jpg

As you can see, I greased and floured the cupcake pan, so I'm not sure how liners would work out. (probably fine)

doughgirl, how many cupcakes did it make? Also you said, "I also grated most of a bar of Lindt bittersweet chocolate into it". What size bar and was this separate from the chocolate that you grated on top of the cupcakes?

Can't wait to make these!!

Kim

I layered home-made apple and cranberry jam, whipped cream and rye bread crumbs in a glass last week:

gallery_43137_2974_2213.jpg

That's an Estonian pudding and it's called a shy peasant girl :rolleyes:

And my bf made a really lovely creme caramel last weekend, adapting a recipe from Tessa Kiros' Falling Cloudberries. Pretty good for a first-timer, eh:

gallery_43137_2974_35956.jpg

doughgirl, how many cupcakes did it make?  Also you said, "I also grated most of a bar of Lindt bittersweet chocolate into it".  What size bar and was this separate from the chocolate that you grated on top of the cupcakes?

Kim

I made 12 cupcakes and decided to throw the rest into a tall 8-inch cake pan to freeze for later, so I'm guessing if you used it all for cucakes, it would make close to 2 dozen.

Grating the chocolate in was a whim and I'm sure it would taste fine without it, but I liked the way these came out with it. I used about 1/2 of a 3.5 oz bar in the batter and the rest I grated on top. Hope you like them!

doughgirl, how many cupcakes did it make?  Also you said, "I also grated most of a bar of Lindt bittersweet chocolate into it".  What size bar and was this separate from the chocolate that you grated on top of the cupcakes?

Kim

I made 12 cupcakes and decided to throw the rest into a tall 8-inch cake pan to freeze for later, so I'm guessing if you used it all for cucakes, it would make close to 2 dozen.

Grating the chocolate in was a whim and I'm sure it would taste fine without it, but I liked the way these came out with it. I used about 1/2 of a 3.5 oz bar in the batter and the rest I grated on top. Hope you like them!

Thanks doughgirl! I think I'll make a whole cake instead though. :smile:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I layered home-made apple and cranberry jam, whipped cream and rye bread crumbs in a glass last week:

gallery_43137_2974_2213.jpg

That's an Estonian pudding and it's called a shy peasant girl  :rolleyes: 

This sounds really interesting. I've seen a few German desserts that use rye bread crumbs and using the contrasting somewhat savory flavor of the rye bread crumbs has always intrigued me. The recipes I've seen have been for a Black Forest Cherry Cake and for some other type of baked pudding that uses the try crumbs. Thank you for sharing this!

Do you make sure to use rye breads without caraway seeds for this dessert?

I thought of the Scottish cranachan also when I saw it and noticed that you mentioned this as well in your blog entry.

Your boyfriend's creme caramel looks lovely as well!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I made a big dinner for my parents this weekend (delayed christmas present) ...

I served two desserts simultaneously, because I have a hard time settling on just one, and I thought it would be fun to have two that played off each other.

The first was a bowl of mixed, iced berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries), lightly sprinkled with sea salt, served in a pool of warm creme anglaise.

The second was a dense, warm flourless chocolate torte, served with a chocolate butter sauce made with port wine.

The course was preceded by a card printed with my all-time favorite line from Alain Ducasse: "Desserts are like mistresses: they are bad for you. So if you are having one, you may as well have two."

Notes from the underbelly

This sounds really interesting.  I've seen a few German desserts that use rye bread crumbs and using the contrasting somewhat savory flavor of the rye bread crumbs has always intrigued me.  The recipes I've seen have been for a Black Forest Cherry Cake and for some other type of baked pudding that uses the try crumbs.  Thank you for sharing this!

Do you make sure to use rye breads without caraway seeds for this dessert?

I thought of the Scottish cranachan also when I saw it and noticed that you mentioned this as well in your blog entry.

Yes, Ludja, we used bread without caraway seeds - I should have mentioned that.. We grated the bread with a coarse grater first, and then fried in some butter and with sugar. We've used the fried rye bread crumbs for yogurt topping as well - just as nice as muesli!

You're also right about cranachan (one of my favourite puddings when I lived in Edinburgh :smile: ) - the principle is very much the same.

I made a big dinner for my parents this weekend (delayed christmas present) ...

I served two desserts simultaneously, because I have a hard time settling on just one, and I thought it would be fun to have two that played off each other.

The first was a bowl of mixed, iced berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries), lightly sprinkled with sea salt, served in a pool of warm creme anglaise.

The second was a dense, warm flourless chocolate torte, served with a chocolate butter sauce made with port wine.

The course was preceded by a card printed with my all-time favorite line from Alain Ducasse: "Desserts are like mistresses: they are bad for you. So if you are having one, you may as well have two."

Love that quote; I need to remember that. :smile: Both the desserts sound great. I wouldn't have thought of the sea salt/berries/warm creme anglaise and the chocolate-butter-port sauce also sound amazing.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Orange and vanilla rice pudding brulee.

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

Gorgeous looking desert, Ellencho! I adore rice pudding and your treatment is very seductive - would you share the recipe, please?

Rover

cake3.jpg

cake2.jpg

Chocolate Stout Cake (made with Guinness) with White Chocolate (neoclassic) Buttercream. Very moist cake and very yummy buttercream. I made the cake even more chocolate-y by grating a bar of Lindt 85% into the batter. (it was my birthday cake!)

cake3.jpg

cake2.jpg

Chocolate Stout Cake (made with Guinness) with White Chocolate (neoclassic) Buttercream. Very moist cake and very yummy buttercream.  I made the cake even more chocolate-y by grating a bar of Lindt 85% into the batter.  (it was my birthday cake!)

Yum! Great idea on the grated chocolate, you can even see the gooey chocolate bits within. And I love the sprinkles. I used to think they were purely decorative, but they actually give a nice texture to a frosted cake.

Inspired By " Ace of Cakes" , my girlfriend and I made a pickle barrel cake for my grandfathers birthday ( he owns a pickle company).  Chocolate espresso pound cake, chocolate butter cream.

tn_gallery_47871_4454_156612.jpggallery_47871_4454_19820.jpg

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11758034..._4454_19820.jpg

Sobel - that is fantastic! I am so impressed! Welcome to egullet, also! Post lots and lots on this board, if that is an example of what you do!

I guess this belongs here. These are the crispy, lemon sugar cookies that I made for our Easter dessert buffet:

gallery_34972_3570_733870.jpg

Pink flowers, blue bunnies, green eggs (it didn't occur to me until just this moment that that might be an odd color choice :huh: ) and yellow chicks. I tinted the dough so that the color would be more intense. I like the effect.

Kim