• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I made this pineapple creme caramel for a dinner party. It's from David Leibovitz's book Ripe for Dessert. It was actually last Saturday... I'm kinda slow at processing pictures. It tasted really nice, the pineapple was very good.

Doesn't my friend have the most beautiful plates?

gallery_29288_2429_255794.jpg

Aaaaaah! Now I know why I've been thinking of using up the left over pineapple jam the same way!

Thanks for the inspiration!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I've done this dessert too many times, but I haven't posted as frequently on this thread, and I took a new step with this. First, I made this from memory - adjusted to my memory...so not quite the same as I've made before (originally in Pastry's Best), and I played a bit more with the sugar. I have no experience in sugar, but on this one, I boiled my sugar, added almonds and then spun it into spirals...not earth shattering, but I had never done it before so I was happy. Anyway, almond cocktail with passion fruit gelee.

almondcocktail.jpg

Everything looks so professional! Such pretty desserts :smile:

I had a cookie assortment from Japanese patisserie Petit a Petit.

Question!

There're white and dark chocolate cookies that taste more like chocolate than cookie. The first ingredient listed for them is, "chocolat powder" :shock:

What's that? I'd really like to try it:

I had a one-year old, a five year old, 2 dogs and a hubby all trying to claim my attention at once, so it's definitely messy and not very pretty to look at, but tonight we had my interpretation of opera cake (I think that is the right name, almond sponge cake, coffee syrup, coffee buttercream and ganache).

opera2.jpg

opera1.jpg

I made this pineapple creme caramel for a dinner party. It's from David Leibovitz's book Ripe for Dessert. It was actually last Saturday... I'm kinda slow at processing pictures. It tasted really nice, the pineapple was very good.

Aaaaaah! Now I know why I've been thinking of using up the left over pineapple jam the same way!

Milady, I am honoured to inspire! How did it turn out?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Doughgirl, it doesn't look messy at all. In fact, it looks scrumptious!

Thank you so much, it was very good! It was my second time making any sort of sponge cake and now my mind is just racing at all the possibilities....I have no idea why I thought it would be so hard! I think we would have been happy eating the almond sponge plain, without further adornment. :raz:

Milady, I am honoured to inspire! How did it turn out?

Haven't gotten to them yet. Not enough egg yolks and I have too many egg whites. LOL.

I had not so good chocolate chip cookies. Roasted strawberries.

Now I am contemplating lemon curd cheesecake bars.

May

May, with all the great local fruits you have there, have you considered making pastries with rambutan? Limau nipis? Mangosteen? Mata kucing? Just wondering. If you do, I'd love to see the results!

Michael aka "Pan"

May, with all the great local fruits you have there, have you considered making pastries with rambutan? Limau nipis? Mangosteen? Mata kucing? Just wondering. If you do, I'd love to see the results!

I have.

But I'm just too lazy to go to the trouble of opening all of the fruits. Plus, well, I'm greedy and more than half will make their way into my mouth in the process. :biggrin:

I might make a limau nipis curd when I finish my current batch of lemon curd though. If I do, I'll try to post a picture, except that my picture taking skills....Let us just say that they are non-existent.

May

gallery_21505_4018_37463.jpg

I made spekkoek / kueh lapis legit or whatever you want to call it today.

See here for discussion about this delicious pastry

Chufi,

I was looking at that recipe yesterday and it sounded interesting. Yours came out stunningly beautiful!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

So loverly, Chufi, as I commented on in the discussion thread for the cake... The constrast between the vertical lines of the cake and the cloth are just great.

Here is a great tasting Banana Gugelhupf I made over the weekend:

gallery_13473_3800_184716.jpg

gallery_13473_3800_282560.jpg

It's from a recipe in Rick Rodger's Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafes of Vienna, Budapest and Prague. We've been sharing some recipes we've made from the book here.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Today I made a "gourmet" version of my mother-in-law's white trash chocolate eclair cake (no offense intended, sometimes I like white trash) which is basically boxed vanilla pudding mixed with Cool Whip, layered between graham crackers and iced with canned chocolate frosting.

I made a vanilla pastry cream, folded in whipped cream and layered between store-bought graham crackers (I don't think it's worth making homemade graham crackers for this, they'd get lost in the mix) and topped with chocolate ganache. I doubt it took me much longer to make than the original version, and I'm willing to bet it's going to taste a whole lot better!

I had these orange cupcakes. They were pretty, but the frosting needed acidity bad. The cake was good though. Really delicate and nice orange flavor.

Pretty... Thanks for your observation on the acidity. I have a few desserts made with orange that do suggest using some lemon juice/zest to pump up the brightness a bit.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"