• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Generally after a deep freeze in liquid nitrogen (like with the balloons and orange segments) things require 1-several hours in the freezer to tempur to a point will you do not get mouth burns. For quick freeze or lite freeze (such as with quick immersion meranges quick freeze sorbets), plating them generally allows enough time to warm.

As for pictures, here is a link to the imagegullet of the blueberry orb the other night (this one had cookie crumble not cocoa, with orange, tangerine and blood orange cells). People would break up the orb and use segments like chips to pick up the orange, etc.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=mo...md=si&img=82349

Some random photos from some baking I did before I had surgery.

gallery_34972_3570_734060.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_1158543.jpg

An Italian Cream Cake that someone ordered for Christmas - it was the first one that I ever made and they were thrilled with it.

gallery_34972_3570_49884.jpg

Dessert table for Jessica's 23rd birthday celebration.

gallery_34972_3570_647068.jpg

I took a Wilton class - this is my 'final exam' :laugh: - looked ok, nasty tasting frosting!

gallery_34972_3570_306250.jpg

Chocolate Cake w/ Abigail Johnson Dodge's Fudgy Frosting - by request of the birthday girl - really, really intense and good. As usual, I forgot to get a shot of a slice or 'bite'!

gallery_34972_2532_166983.jpg

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes w/ Buttercream frosting and candied lemon peel. Really, really good. I loved the muted pink I got from using real buttercream!

I haven't posted in this thread in ages - busy! But this is something I made for our town's annual Chocolate Fantasia event - it was the hit. Sodium Alginate chocolate caviar, with PH's chocolate pastry cream, and set on a sesame tuile.

caviar1.jpg

caviar2.jpg

I haven't posted in this thread in ages - busy!  But this is something I made for our town's annual Chocolate Fantasia event - it was the hit.  Sodium Alginate chocolate caviar, with PH's chocolate pastry cream, and set on a sesame tuile.

caviar1.jpg

caviar2.jpg

Gorgeous!!! I especially love the idea of the sesame tuile!!

I did a Grand Marnier Panacotta with Passionfruit "jam" on top yesterday. It was excellent except for the fact that I miscalculated the panacotta/jam ratio per serving a bit, not putting enough jam into them, making the whole dessert on the sour side. For a family dinner it didn't really matter :-)

The Panacotta was made with double the vanilla (2 pods) compared to other recipies I've seen, no sugar, and the juice of an entire lemon to 250g of heavy cream. The sweet and delicious Passionfruit was mixed with sugar, and put on top when the panacotta had set, for a green/yellow sweet layer.

Question; Im not used to working wiht passion fruit. It reminded me a bit about the pomegranate... The taste is realy good, but you end up with lots of seeds in your mouth.... Is it possible to "Filter" out the seeds, or extract the flavour leaving the seeds behind in some way? Or do you all fancy the seeds and take it as a part of the eating experience?

You can strain the pulp out by pressing it through a sieve. Use a spoon to stir and press through until the seeds remain. It takes a little while but entirely worth it. I hate those pesky seeds too.

or quickly blend in a blender and then strain. this breaks up the juice sacks and makes it easier to separate seeds and pulp from juice.

You can strain the pulp out by pressing it through a sieve. Use a spoon to stir and press through until the seeds remain. It takes a little while but entirely worth it. I hate those pesky seeds too.

or quickly blend in a blender and then strain. this breaks up the juice sacks and makes it easier to separate seeds and pulp from juice.

Excellent! .-) thanks to both of you. I'll post with pictures next time -)

Haven't posted for a while... because I haven't baked for a while either...

This one I've made yesterday night for a friend's party tonight.

Chocolate Chiffon on the base, and two panacotta layers : red fruits and chocolate

gallery_40488_2237_56879.jpg

gallery_40488_2237_59213.jpg

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Very nice Filipe.  I assume it tasted as good as it looks.

hope so :)

done it before and - although it is not a very "wintery" dessert - the combination between chocolate and red fruits works fine for me. Fresh, subtle and sweet enough

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Our dessert thread has been a little slow lately--all those New Year's resolutions making us scarce?! :raz: I can fix that!

We hosted a dessert party last night and here is some of what we served:

Lemon Tart w/Candied Peel

gallery_15437_3722_1211090.jpg

Chocolate Coconut Truffles

gallery_15437_3722_634655.jpg

Rosemary Pinenut Tart

gallery_15437_3722_524009.jpg

Brown Sugar Blackberry Cake

gallery_15437_3722_138012.jpg

Chocolate Caramel Tart w/Sea Salt

gallery_15437_3722_317641.jpg

Pumpkin Pecan Bourbon Cheesecake

gallery_15437_3722_1229452.jpg

Grilled Pineapple Raspberry Tart w/Chipotle Cream

gallery_15437_3722_719894.jpg

Chocolate Fondue Fountain

gallery_15437_3722_553722.jpg

Not pictured because they were consumed too quickly: Meringues w/pastry cream, kiwi and pomegranate seeds. Everything was served with a selection of ports, muscat, ice wine, champagne and of course an iced carafe of milk!

My favorites were the Brown Sugar Blackberry Cake and the Rosemary Pinenut Tart--which was surprising because I'm usually a little iffy on rosemary. :huh:

Edited by meredithla (log)

I made this pineapple creme caramel for a dinner party. It's from David Leibovitz's book Ripe for Dessert. It was actually last Saturday... I'm kinda slow at processing pictures. It tasted really nice, the pineapple was very good.

Doesn't my friend have the most beautiful plates?

gallery_29288_2429_255794.jpg

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I made this pineapple creme caramel for a dinner party. It's from David Leibovitz's book Ripe for Dessert. It was actually last Saturday... I'm kinda slow at processing pictures. It tasted really nice, the pineapple was very good.

Lovely dessert, Tweety69bird, and you're right, that's a beautiful plate - do you know what it is?

Rover

Here are some layered oatmeal brownies we had the other night...

gallery_51259_4126_75065.jpg

Wow, that looks really good! Recipe....?

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

simple blackberry crisp (the last of this past summers berries sadly) ..home made vanilla ice cream

sorry no picture .....it just does not photgraph well all smashed up in a bowl

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Lovely dessert, Tweety69bird, and you're right, that's a beautiful plate - do you know what it is?

Rover

The plates are from Christopher Vine Design, but I did a search and can't find them anywhere... good luck...

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes desserts don't turn out the way you want, but this still tasted great following our chicken tagine. Its was supposed to be a saffron mousse (but our guest list grew and I ran out), so then it was finished with a pomegranate mousse. In between is a pink peppercorn genoise (really great contrast). I set it all on toasted pine nut and served it on pomegranate mollasses with fresh berries and a pine nut brittle with black pepper, topped with an Italian meringue.

saffronmousse.jpg

saffronmousse2.jpg

Sometimes desserts don't turn out the way you want, but this still tasted great following our chicken tagine.  Its was supposed to be a saffron mousse (but our guest list grew and I ran out), so then it was finished with a pomegranate mousse.  In between is a pink peppercorn genoise (really great contrast).  I set it all on toasted pine nut and served it on pomegranate mollasses with fresh berries and a pine nut brittle with black pepper, topped with an Italian meringue.

saffronmousse.jpg

saffronmousse2.jpg

not a bad effort gfron1, I say, kicking my poor excuse for an apple mousse under the counter so you can't see it :biggrin::biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...