• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

We had baklava.  In addition to the traditional ingredients, the filling also included chocolate and chopped dates.

gallery_23736_355_14092.jpg

Beautiful, Patrick! Minus the dates (or not), but with the dark chocolate, I bet this would be wonderful with pistachio paste, too.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

A couple of things I've made recently:

The tartlet is based on the Tart Maeva I had at the Vanille Patisserie in Chicago. The sweet tart shell is filled, from top to bottom, with strawberry jam, a disc of banana cake, and passion fruit curd.

gallery_23736_355_43458.jpg

Sticky buns:

gallery_23736_355_50782.jpg

Flickrs:

Any chance of a recipe?

For the buns or the tarts? The tarts use the pate sucree dough from Desserts by Pierre Herme, the Passion Fruit curd recipe is from Yard's Secrets of Baking, the banana cake recipes is the one popularized by Wendy DeBoard that's been floating around eGullet, and the jam recipes is from the package of pectin. The bun recipe is from Cook's Illustrated.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

We had baklava.  In addition to the traditional ingredients, the filling also included chocolate and chopped dates.

Beautiful, Patrick! Minus the dates (or not), but with the dark chocolate, I bet this would be wonderful with pistachio paste, too.

Thank you, Pontormo. Baklava is really one of my favorite things, and I'd love to try more variations on it. Now that you mention it I'm kinda curious how nut paste-based filings would turn out.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I've been very absent from EG lately since we moved our store into a new building, then, the holidays hit and we've been slammed.  But in the madness, I found time to make a few treats for a local fundraiser bake sale:

The new digs look great, gfron1! Is it a bigger place than your previous spot? Can't wait to check it out when I get to southern New Mexico again.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've been very absent from EG lately since we moved our store into a new building, then, the holidays hit and we've been slammed.  But in the madness, I found time to make a few treats for a local fundraiser bake sale:

The new digs look great, gfron1! Is it a bigger place than your previous spot? Can't wait to check it out when I get to southern New Mexico again.

Thanks Ludja. Its about the same size but we own it instead of renting, and more importantly I can now really expand our cheeses, and I've been wanting to try selling some of my pastries (on a very limited basis - I still have my job running a meth treatment program). We're also adding a tea tasting room. The tea is coming in from Vital Tea Leaf in SF Chinatown - my favorite tea shop.

Thank you, Pontormo. Baklava is really one of my favorite things, and I'd love to try more variations on it. Now that you mention it I'm kinda curious how nut paste-based filings would turn out.

hey patrick,

i made a dessert that was the cigar style baklava (i'm sure it has another name, i just don't know it) and my filling was a combination of chopped gianduja, chopped hazelnuts and some other stuff. the soaking syrup was flavored with a bunch of stuff that i can't remember right now, but it was a very nice dessert.

i'll check to see if i have the recipe somewhere.

Today I had a delicious Corsica entremet from my favourite patisserie in Toulouse: La Bonbonnière.

gallery_48830_4015_275300.png

- mousse aux marrons avec des éclats de marron confits [chestnut mousse with candied chestnut chunks]

- bavaroise au whisky [whisky bavaroise]

- dacquoise aux amandes [almond dacquoise]

gallery_48830_4015_83897.png

It was delicate and perfect for the holidays.

((Read more about La Bonbonnière on my blog or on eGullet France))

- fanny

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

Wonderful desserts, Patrick and others!

gallery_43137_2974_845735.jpg

I made some grilled breadcheese (also known as squeaky Finnish cheese) with home-made cloudberry compote and lime-mascarpone cream last Friday. Simple, lovely, squeaky and very Nordic :rolleyes:

(recipe here)

Edited by Pille (log)

Is that bread cheese at all similar to halloumi cheese? I've never seen anything sold as bread cheese where I live, but halloumi sounds quite similar-squeaky, can be grilled. But I would never have thought of creating a dessert out of it! Now that you suggest it though, sounds delicious!

Is that bread cheese at all similar to halloumi cheese? I've never seen anything sold as bread cheese where I live, but halloumi sounds quite similar-squeaky, can be grilled. But I would never have thought of creating a dessert out of it! Now that you suggest it though, sounds delicious!

Julia - it's similar to halloumi texture-wise, yes, but bread cheese is not salty at all, rather mild-tasting. I don't think halloumi would be a good substitute, as even by soaking it'd remain too salty. However, there's a US-based producer/supplier, called Carr Valley Cheese Ltd, and they have bread cheese or leipäjuusto.

what?! bruce in the baking and pastry forum?! will wonders never cease this holiday season... :laugh:

great job with your shortbread bruce!

Pille, that dessert looks delicious in its simplicity. i LOVE cloudberries also. i had them for the first time in newfoundland where they are as common as they are in scandanavia.

what?!  bruce in the baking and pastry forum?!  will wonders never cease this holiday season... :laugh:

alanamoana: The wonder is that the shortbread turned out. What you didn’t see was pound cake -- nobody did. :angry: After lining up all of the ingredients and dumping sugar and butter in a bowl, I discovered that our hand mixer was dead. I couldn’t figure out how to “cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy” without a mixer, so no pound cake. That would be a more typical outcome of my baking projects. :rolleyes:

Bruce - Your shortbread looks fantastic. If only all of them could be edge pieces.  :biggrin:

GTO: Thank you – I like the edges, too.

Mrs. Crab bought some Scottish shortbread with “stem ginger” that was very good. Ginger shortbread will probably be my next baking project. Does anyone know if “stem ginger” is the same as candied ginger? Does anyone have a reliable recipe for ginger shortbread?

bruce, if you like the texture of your pistachio shortbread, you can always sub the pistachio with diced candied ginger.

also, think of the "old" days when people didn't have any kind of mixer at all...as long as the butter is soft enough, you can cream it...just takes quite a bit of elbow grease. maybe not what you wanted to spend your christmas doing! :raz:

Sicilian Christmas Cookies

Sesame Cookies

gallery_35656_2298_45105.jpg

Sospiri e Désirs (Sighs and Desires)

gallery_35656_2298_46421.jpg

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Sazji!!!!! I got my LOKUM package today! Since it is freezer cold in Korea, I had to let the package come to room temperature (when I got it from our friendly postman - it was hard as a rock). When I figured it was time to open it, I found....

A sugar-covered treasure....

gallery_48583_3741_108740.jpg

With trembling hands, I choose one ...

gallery_48583_3741_14170.jpg

It had ground nuts in it... (I almost fainted with delight)

gallery_48583_3741_78390.jpg

Next one....

gallery_48583_3741_1405.jpg

This one had rosewater flavor and I think cinnamon in it..

gallery_48583_3741_160140.jpg

Last one (I swear...)

gallery_48583_3741_215427.jpg

It had pistachios in it (MY FAVORITE!!!)...

gallery_48583_3741_29222.jpg

There were five varieties and I had 10 pieces (I had to taste each flavor twice to make sure what they are... :biggrin: )

I find myself reaching again into the box... somebody stop me.. they are so goood! Sazji, your Korean sweets will be on their way to you soon! I expect a full report like this. Once again, from the bottom of my heart - maraming salamat. Thank you very much. :wub:

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Here are some of the desserts I made for my dinner party on New Year's Eve- Croissant Bread Pudding (forgot to take a pic of the cinnamon rum sauce), Galaktobourekos for my Greek friend, Halvah, and Pistachio Chocolate Praline Strudel. Clarity of pictures and amount of wine consumed at that time are obvious.