• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Rose Levy Berenbaum's cranberry galette, but rather heavily modified. Regular pie dough rather than her cream cheese one, no walnuts (housemate is allergic to nuts), and in a tin rather than free-form.

gallery_22182_2693_47897.jpg

Pretty good, but not amazing (I think the walnuts would have been an improvement), and cutting a bag full of cranberries in half was pretty tedious.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Now that I finally have a digital camera :wub: and have figured out how to post the pictures from it (thank you, Mr. Kim), I thought I'd post some things I've been doing.

A Raspberry-Chocolate Ganache cake that I sold :blush: for a birthday celebration - my first cake sale!

gallery_34972_3570_969897.jpg

A couple of desserts I made for my in law's anniversary:

gallery_34972_3570_807476.jpg

Black and White Celebration Cake:

gallery_34972_3570_690094.jpg

Sliced:

gallery_34972_3570_375192.jpg

Million Dollar Pound Cake - note the beautiful crown?

gallery_34972_3570_676888.jpg

This is what what UNDER that beautiful crown - it was empty, but tasted great!

gallery_34972_3570_486958.jpg

I also made a bunch of cupcakes that I sold for an "Alice in Wonderland" tea party that I am going to post on the cupcake thread.

We had baklava. In addition to the traditional ingredients, the filling also included chocolate and chopped dates.

gallery_23736_355_14092.jpg

Flickrs:

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Million Dollar Pound Cake - note the beautiful crown?

gallery_34972_3570_676888.jpg

This is what what UNDER that beautiful crown - it was empty, but tasted great!

gallery_34972_3570_486958.jpg

The cake does make a crown, not always this bad, but I always invert the cake and no one's the wiser. :wink:

Mine was crownless, but it didn't rise very much and had holes in the bottom. I've not eaten it yet, it's in the fridge for me to frost tomorrow.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I went kitsch yesterday night...but I just couldn't help it after I've watched Sofia Copolla's Marie Antoinette

This is for a friend's daughter birthday party, it's what I've called the Marshmalow Queen Decadence Cake, it's a chocolate mousse layered cake, filled with chocolate mousse, topped with strawberry jam (self-made), covered with marshmalow buttercream and decorated with marshmalows and candy jelly's

gallery_40488_2237_5154.jpg

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

What a perfect cake to follow Marie Antoinette!  I'd love to see the cut piece photo.

I'll ask my friend to take a picture :)

This is the "grown-ups" cake I've made for the same party, a cococnut pana cotta

gallery_40488_2237_188306.jpg

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Leftover half of a birthday cake (pour moi!) from last night:

gallery_22182_2693_28585.jpg

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I don't often have (or make) desserts, so I never post here. But I had to work on some Chanukah recipes last night, so ended up with two (both tasty :laugh: ).

Rugelach with a cream cheese dough, raspberry preserves and pecans.

gallery_25849_641_7483.jpg

A cheesecake made with Israeli white cheese (3% fat), coffee flavoured.

gallery_25849_641_78743.jpg

I made some new desserts for our family Chanukah party -- Caramel Cake with caramelized cocoa nibs and chocolate caramel sauce, Coconut Almond Cake with a bittersweet glaze, Apple Torte ( i don't think the pic uploaded), Miniature Star Cakes, Coconut Balls, A Redux of Bourbon Balls with Kahlua, shortbread crumbs, and ground freeze dried strawberries. I hope you can see the pics.

I've been very absent from EG lately since we moved our store into a new building, then, the holidays hit and we've been slammed. But in the madness, I found time to make a few treats for a local fundraiser bake sale:

Brioche filled with almond cream and topped with strawberries reduced with 6 year balsamic:

brioche.jpg

and a New York style cheese cake topped with pomegranate geleé, with a Hungarian shortbread crust (ala Child/Greenspan):

pomecheese.jpg

A couple of things I've made recently:

The tartlet is based on the Tart Maeva I had at the Vanille Patisserie in Chicago. The sweet tart shell is filled, from top to bottom, with strawberry jam, a disc of banana cake, and passion fruit curd.

gallery_23736_355_43458.jpg

Sticky buns:

gallery_23736_355_50782.jpg

Flickrs:

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

A couple of things I've made recently:

The tartlet is based on the Tart Maeva I had at the Vanille Patisserie in Chicago. The sweet tart shell is filled, from top to bottom, with strawberry jam, a disc of banana cake, and passion fruit curd.

gallery_23736_355_43458.jpg

Sticky buns:

gallery_23736_355_50782.jpg

Flickrs:

Any chance of a recipe?