• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Looks incredible Patrick.  How was it?

Thanks gfron! It was pretty good. Of the components, I like the gingerbread financier best.

Patrick, that's gorgeous! Do you use the pumpkin you hollowed out for the creme brulee?

Thanks, Chihiran! I just used canned pumpkin.

Patrick, there's something about those little pumpkins, they're one of the best looking little desserts I've seen in a LONG time - Wow.

That's so kind of you. Thanks!

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Those wee pumpkins are just BEAUTIFUL. I don't even like pumpkin but I would definitely be digging into one of those!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's something I've been wanting to try for a while -- Sherry Yard's pumpkin creme brulee and gingerbread financier jack-o-lanterns. You hollow out tiny (3-4") pumpkins, put a gingerbread financier disc inside, glaze it with apple caramel glaze, fill with pumpkin creme brulee, and top with burnt sugar.

Absolutely exquisite, Patrick!

It's raining chestnuts... :smile: Tis the season, I guess, although I did use canned French chesnut puree in this application.

Kastanienschnitten (Chestnut Slice)

gallery_13473_3800_334215.jpg

More info in the Chestnut Cream Torte thread.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Here's something I've been wanting to try for a while -- Sherry Yard's pumpkin creme brulee and gingerbread financier jack-o-lanterns. You hollow out tiny (3-4") pumpkins, put a gingerbread financier disc inside, glaze it with apple caramel glaze, fill with pumpkin creme brulee, and top with burnt sugar.

Is the custard cooked in the pumpkin? Those pumpkins don't look baked, whats the deal?

Is the custard cooked in the pumpkin? Those pumpkins don't look baked, whats the deal?

The custard is cooked in a 13x9 dish, and spooned into the pumpkins while still hot.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

It's Alice Medrich's Albert's Mousse from Bittersweet.

You can get the recipe here.

Um, the amount of chocolate is different depending on the percentage. I use Valrhona's Caraibe, which is 66%, so it's 5.25oz chocolate and 50g sugar.

And you know, before chilling it, I licked the beaters and the bowl (just kidding :biggrin: ) and it didn't taste rich at all. Tasted like chocolate folded into meringue, and equally light.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Absolutely stunning, Patrick!

I haven't posted in this thread in awhile, not for want of desserts, but because we are running out of Image Gullet room. :laugh:

Anyway, I made these pecan sticky buns today. The brioche dough recipe is from the French Laundry, and then the filling/topping is loosely based on Nancy Silverton's recipe for this breakfast treat. I used even more butter (if you can believe it!), a little less sugar, and more cinnamon.

gallery_35727_2396_107218.jpg

patrick, what a beautiful pumpkin dessert. we did a version of this at my last job. the mini pumpkins were hollowed out and candied slightly (sort of poached in a syrupy bath) so that were cooked and thus edible. they were then cooled and the custard was baked in the shells. we then torched them just like regular brulees. offset the tops and served with little cookies.

These are the first cookies I've ever made, and they tasted amazing :D

gallery_49692_3864_5059.jpg

gallery_49692_3864_9195.jpg

We tend to cook cakes and pastry as kids in England...

85g softened butter

170g white sugar

1 egg

1tablespoon vanilla

1/2 tsp baking soda

Pinch of salt

1 tbsp syrup/treacle

110g pastry flour

50g cocoa

140g chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350/180.

Stir together butter, sugar, vanilla and egg.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa.

Mix the two mixtures together with the syrup and stir in chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. They should be soft when they come out, but they'll harden when they cool down.

Edited by Echilon (log)

here is a special we just ran over the weekend, based on it being a sell out, I guess it was popular, after just coming back from a day off.

some inspiration came from Mason, and a pic from Lenotre, my version is a Cinnamon swirl French Toast bread pudding spiked with Baileys, dried blueberries, cranraisins, and raisins. along with a butternut squash creme brulee, maple gelee, raisin reduction, and a timbale of Tapioca.

the desserts I am designing these days, can be practically implemented into a days regime, and serviced by any pantry person. I stress practical, B/C on a Friday/Saturday eve, we have little time to fool around for more than 30 seconds.

gallery_21390_3878_1109513.jpg

Michael Robert Porru

Awesome, dejaq. Cinnamon, bread, raisins - What a combination. I love the little Timbale, peeking out from behind it's little screen.

My dessert tonight was somewhat...Less elaborate but it was wholly delicious. Tonight I topped some leftover rice pudding with a fresh mango, sultanas and ginger - Spicy sweet.

mango.jpg

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Awesome, dejaq. Cinnamon, bread, raisins - What a combination. I love the little Timbale, peeking out from behind it's little screen.

My dessert tonight was somewhat...Less elaborate but it was wholly delicious. Tonight I topped some leftover rice pudding with a fresh mango, sultanas and ginger - Spicy sweet.

mango.jpg

thanks,

I love rice pudding, and mangos with that combo I am certain are superior, I am going to be developing a rice pudding dried fruit, strusel, breton pastry soon. I did something similar to this at the Metropolitan, and it was a hudge hit, this just takes it to the next level.

Michael Robert Porru

P.S. English Toffee Pudding has always been one of my faves.

gallery_46284_3749_645717.jpg

I made Fleur De Sel Caramels today. They are Great! Next timeI will dip them in chocolate before sprinkling with salt.

You've motivated me to finally make these. Share your recipe?

Thanks! Sure-- It's Epicurious' recipe for Fleur de Sel Caramels. I used twice the amount of salt called for in the recipe (as recommended in the reviews) and organic corn syrup from Whole Foods. I don't know how to do the hyperlink for you---duh!

Apronstrings,

I made the fleur de sel caramels this past weekend, coated in dark chocolate. My husband promptly labeled them crack and made me take the rest of them to work where my secretary promptly swooned and the boss and I finished off the rest.

I haven't been making desserts, but today for a party I made Emily Luchetti's Pumpkin Upside-Down Cake with Cranberries and Pecan Topping. I used fresh pumpkin, and the sweet-tart balance with the fresh cranberries and the caramel was just right. I did think the cake itself could have been spiced a little more. It only has cinnamon, and I wanted a bit of clove and nutmeg in there too. It's a great holiday cake.

gallery_16307_2558_106830.jpg

Partick, Dejaq, Franci, I'm trying not to eat desserts, but you're making it so hard!

I made a caramel tart with milk chocolate mousse spiral on top. I had some mousse left over, which I piped into little glasses.

gallery_23736_355_91000.jpg

gallery_23736_355_53717.jpg