• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Hungarian Chestnut Torte

hungarian2.jpg

Looks delicious, gfron1!

Here's the thread on Hungarian Chestnut Cream Tortes: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Getting ready for Halloween, I made a Grand Marnier Flourless Chocolate Cake glazed with Grand Marnier Ganache. I admit that I went a little overboard on the horror factor:

Recipe and Picture available here.

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

Comeundone - that is one cool cake. My youngest (who is 5) said that that was the coolest cake he's ever seen. Now he wants one for his birthday on Sunday. (smacks head).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Thanks! It was as much fun to make as it was to eat. I'm surprise that a 5-year old found it cool instead of scary! Brave kid!

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

Pumpkins, Pumpkins Everywhere

It’s pumpkin harvest time here in The Northeast U.S., and pumpkins are omnipresent—at food stores, farm stands, and as house decorations. So it was only natural to want to pick up some sugar pumpkins and bake a pumpkin pie. Canned pumpkin is OK, but I think there is a difference in using a fresh pumpkin.

gallery_44755_3688_97514.jpg

gallery_44755_3688_301729.jpg

gallery_44755_3688_282758.jpg

gallery_44755_3688_6168.jpg

gallery_44755_3688_3301.jpg

gallery_44755_3688_60045.jpg

gallery_44755_3688_15225.jpg

Below is one of our little pie darlings

gallery_44755_3688_34853.jpg

gallery_44755_3688_288658.jpg

To prepare the pumpkin, I cut the pumpkin in half, scooped out the seeds and goop, pulled off the top stump, and baked the pumpkin for an hour, cut side down, at 350 degrees. Above are the pumpkin halves after baking. The pulp gets nice and soft. After it cooled a bit, I scooped out the pulp and pureed it in a food processor.

gallery_44755_3688_166697.jpg

Above is the pie ready to go in the oven.

gallery_44755_3688_450297.jpg

The baked pie

gallery_44755_3688_41173.jpg

gallery_44755_3688_292883.jpg

A slice with a dollop of whipped cream

Parmhero’s Pumpkin Pie

2 cups pumpkin puree, 4 eggs, ½ cup heavy cream, ½ cup half and half, 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp grated fresh ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp allspice, 1 tsp vanilla.

Pie crust is 1 cup of unbleached flour, 7 TB of unsalted butter, cold water, and a little salt.

gallery_44755_3688_235037.jpg

Parting Shot: Swan Lake

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Thanks for the kind words, yunnermeier, GTO, and Ling.

juliachildish: You only need one smallish pumpkin for 2 cups of puree. It will weigh 5-6 pounds. I paid 39 cents per pound for the two pumpkins I bought at one of the farm stands pictured above. Each pumpkin cost about $2.50.

Edited by Parmhero (log)

"Yo, I want one of those!"

And that's the coolest Hallowe'en cake I've ever seen, Candy!

I agree; it is just perfect. I love the crumbled chocolate wafers for the dirt. It's probably the first 'novelty' type cake that I've been tempted to make. And--it sounds like a delcious cake to boot!

edited to add: Love the photoessay on pumpkin field to pie, parmhero!

Consider adding the post to one of the threads below. I'm sure people would enjoy them in the future as a resource when they are searching threads for info on pumpkin pie!

How to process fresh pumpkin

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...5592&hl=pumpkin

Pumpkin Pie: Beyond the can

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...6071&hl=pumpkin

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Here's something I've been wanting to try for a while -- Sherry Yard's pumpkin creme brulee and gingerbread financier jack-o-lanterns. You hollow out tiny (3-4") pumpkins, put a gingerbread financier disc inside, glaze it with apple caramel glaze, fill with pumpkin creme brulee, and top with burnt sugar.

gallery_23736_355_56065.jpg

gallery_23736_355_35575.jpg

Flickr images:

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh