• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I assume that you're all working stiffs like me, so I'm always wondering: how do you find the time to bake these amazing creations?!

One thing I often do is to weigh out all my ingredients the night before, so that everything is on the counter and ready to go. This is also a good way to make sure that you have all your ingredients on hand. I'll also grease my pans at the same time.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I troll through this topic and drool almost daily. I assume that you're all working stiffs like me, so I'm always wondering: how do you find the time to bake these amazing creations?!

(Eat a pound cake every day for a week, see how much you weigh by Saturday...or become very popular at the office and see how much your coworkers weigh by Saturday.)

This is the other thing I always wonder: how are these people getting away with eating all of this stuff?! Good genes?! Whatever it is, I'm jealous.

I will say that the hardest/most time consuming part of cooking and baking is cleaning up. I have mastered the art of mis en place and clean as you go, but I still find myself exhausted after a big cooking session.

This is the other thing I always wonder: how are these people getting away with eating all of this stuff?! Good genes?! Whatever it is, I'm jealous.

Well, you either eat lots of it and run and exercise a lot, or you eat a little of it, and make it when you have an occasion to share. My last big one was a big thing with fresh plums in a cheesecake type filling, it was great, I got one piece and had guests taking home pieces. But I did enjoye the piece I had!

Tonight I made a "muhallebi" - a milk pudding that some friends make in their restaurant, and just gave me the recipe for - very simple thing, milk, vanilla, sugar, flour, butter, and then topped with an unusual chocolate sauce - butter or margarine, sugar, cocoa and two eggs. I was so hot to try it myself that I rushed home, halved the recipe and made it. It made five bowls. I ate one. I'll hope for drop ins tomorrow I guess, cause I don't want to think how I'll feel if I eat much more of it! :blink:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Well, you either eat lots of it and run and exercise a lot, or you eat a little of it, and make it when you have an occasion to share. My last big one was a big thing with fresh plums in a cheesecake type filling, it was great, I got one piece and had guests taking home pieces. But I did enjoye the piece I had!

Tonight I made a "muhallebi" - a milk pudding that some friends make in their restaurant, and just gave me the recipe for - very simple thing, milk, vanilla, sugar, flour, butter, and then topped with an unusual chocolate sauce - butter or margarine, sugar, cocoa and two eggs. I was so hot to try it myself that I rushed home, halved the recipe and made it. It made five bowls. I ate one. I'll hope for drop ins tomorrow I guess, cause I don't want to think how I'll feel if I eat much more of it! :blink:

I've never been very good at that portion control thing. I'm that person who will bake a batch of brownies for a special occasion, eat the whole plan myself and then have to bake another batch. A healthy metabolism has saved me so far, but we'll see what happens when I hit 40!

Kiwano & Strawberry Sorbet

First time using kiwano, and i think it's great. Was a little bit sceptical when i tasted the plain fruit,

but after making the sorbet with a little lemon juice it turned out very rich.

PA200103.JPG

Sorry for the photo, i'm a lame photographer...

Mostly we don't serve cake as a dessert. It's kaffeeklatsch time when cakes are on the table. We had some elderly women from our hometown in Czech at ours and we offered some spezial Bohemian cakes which are made following my mother's recipes.

Poppy seed cake with crumble topping

gallery_23358_3221_928.jpg

served with whipped cream

gallery_23358_3221_21493.jpg

Apple cake with abricot glace and lemon-sugar frosting

gallery_23358_3221_163081.jpg

The cake was still to warm when adding the frosting. During cool down time the frosting cracks. But don't affect the taste. You'll see the inner part because one edge removed.

gallery_23358_3221_85096.jpg

A marbeled "Gugelhupf" with nougat and powdered sugar sprinkling

gallery_23358_3221_128001.jpg

Two or three edges already served

gallery_23358_3221_70067.jpg

We call it "Buchteln" (sorry no Englisch explanation found) filled with homemade plum jam (in Czech = powidl)

gallery_23358_3221_86150.jpg

One cracked to show the filling

gallery_23358_3221_34607.jpg

We had great fun eating the cakes and drinking coffee and tea.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Thank you for showing us your display of kaffleklatsch treats! One item looks better than the next including the darling buchteln and the regal guglehupf. The glaze on the apple cake looks quite artistic!

I love poppyseed desserts from Europe--you really get a nice dose of poppyseed taste. Most American poppyseed desserts have a small amount of poppyseeds delicatelly strewn through the cake.

I would love to try that poppyseed cake if you have time to share it.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I troll through this topic and drool almost daily. I assume that you're all working stiffs like me, so I'm always wondering: how do you find the time to bake these amazing creations?!

(Eat a pound cake every day for a week, see how much you weigh by Saturday...or become very popular at the office and see how much your coworkers weigh by Saturday.)

Good genes. Be jealous. :wink:

I've only had a flourless chocolate cake today. I shall now go root in the kitchen to see what else I can find.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Mostly we don't serve cake as a dessert. It's kaffeeklatsch time when cakes are on the table. We had some elderly women from our hometown in Czech at ours and we offered some spezial Bohemian cakes which are made following my mother's recipes.

Poppy seed cake with crumble topping

gallery_23358_3221_928.jpg

served with whipped cream

gallery_23358_3221_21493.jpg

Apple cake with abricot glace and lemon-sugar frosting

gallery_23358_3221_163081.jpg

The cake was still to warm when adding the frosting. During cool down time the frosting cracks. But don't affect the taste. You'll see the inner part because one edge removed.

gallery_23358_3221_85096.jpg

A marbeled "Gugelhupf" with nougat and powdered sugar sprinkling

gallery_23358_3221_128001.jpg

Two or three edges already served

gallery_23358_3221_70067.jpg

We call it "Buchteln" (sorry no Englisch explanation found) filled with homemade plum jam (in Czech = powidl)

gallery_23358_3221_86150.jpg

One cracked to show the filling

gallery_23358_3221_34607.jpg

We had great fun eating the cakes and drinking coffee and tea.

legourmet, is it possible for you to tell us the recipe for the Gugelhupf? it looks so good! i have a thing for nougat! thanks !

^ :laugh: I HATE angel food cake! What a poor excuse for a dessert!

What delicious treats on this page! I especially love the apple cake.

Yesterday I had 1/3 a lotus seed moon cake (with salted egg yolk), a dozen gingersnaps, and a few chocolate chip cookies. (Oh, and it's almost Hallowe'en...which means I had my annual handful of candy corn. :raz: )

Today I'm getting an old-fashioned glazed donut from Top Pots and maybe we'll get the new stick toffee pudding ice-cream from Haagen Daaz. (I'm going to make my own sticky toffee pudding ice-cream soon as well!)

Sorry to my fellow Eg members for being a stranger these last few months, the build out on just having started a decoration company and developmentally coming up with the material for the Pastry Consortium online ezine doesn't leave me too much time.

here is my re-engineered version of a long standing fav, Tiramisu, the construct is a a tiered stack consisting of Espresso soaked ladyfinger, compound Mascarpone cream, and a coffee gellified crème brulee, the decor is the type of stuff I am selling here in the Washington area.

I will keep you posted on any further developments,

Michael Robert Porru

48ezeis.jpg

gallery_46284_3749_645717.jpg

I made Fleur De Sel Caramels today. They are Great! Next timeI will dip them in chocolate before sprinkling with salt.

You've motivated me to finally make these. Share your recipe?

Thanks! Sure-- It's Epicurious' recipe for Fleur de Sel Caramels. I used twice the amount of salt called for in the recipe (as recommended in the reviews) and organic corn syrup from Whole Foods. I don't know how to do the hyperlink for you---duh!

Sorry to my fellow Eg members for being a stranger these last few months, the build out on just having started a decoration company and developmentally coming up with the material for the Pastry Consortium online ezine doesn't leave me too much time.

here is my re-engineered version of a long standing fav, Tiramisu, the construct is a a tiered stack consisting of Espresso soaked ladyfinger, compound Mascarpone cream, and a coffee gellified crème brulee, the decor is the type of stuff I am selling here in the Washington area.

I will keep you posted on any further developments,

Michael Robert Porru

48ezeis.jpg

I was just noticing yesterday that you were MIA for a while and wondered if everything was OK. Glad to see everything is OK and that you are still making fabulous looking desserts. Sounds delicious too.

Thanks! Sure-- It's Epicurious' recipe for Fleur de Sel Caramels.  I used twice the amount of salt called for in the recipe (as recommended in the reviews) and organic corn syrup from Whole Foods. I don't know how to do the hyperlink for you---duh!

this one?

After clicking the '""reply' or 'add reply' button, you'll be in the reply window. Click on the 'http://' button, paste the url in, click on 'OK' and then type in what you'd like the link to say (in this case, 'this one?'). Click 'ok' again. Then 'Add Reply" - hope that makes sense!