• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

One of my Chinese co-workers brought mooncake to work last week and I was so excited! All my other (Dutch) co-workers were completely puzzled what this thing was, I'm so thankful for the education of eGullet.. and the piece of cake I had was delicious!

^Yes, but rarely (if ever) does one eat an entire mooncake. Even I can't eat an entire mooncake!  :laugh:

Well, I have you beat in at least ONE respect... :hmmm::wacko::shock:

Well. I Out-Linged the Ling quite a few times up till the end of the Mooncake festival. Hmm..

Also, 1 duck egg yolk is nothing. I've seen ones with FOUR!!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

milady - those four egg yolk mooncakes are my favorite. You get a piece of yolk no matter how thin you slice. Aaah heaven!

(I'm addicted to salted duck eggs esp. the yolk).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Oh Oh OH ,, thank you so much for explaining to me the mooncakes mistery :biggrin: .Well now I know what to look for next time , maybe I can find some around here and finally taste it , what a treat.

I agree with Chufi , the education we find on egullet is priceless , I mean I have learn so many things since I have found this site , its almost scary :laugh:

Thank you :smile:

Vanessa

Ling-

Your photos look edible! What kind of camera do you use? Do you use a strobe? Are they enhanced with photo shop?

Thank-you...I often get PMs about the type of camera I use and I'm always kind of embarrassed because I have a really, really old camera with limited functions. It's a Cyber-shot 3.2 Megapixel from Sony. I don't use a tripod or a strobe. I use natural lighting and just try to hold the camera as still as possible. Yes, I brighten them and sharpen them in Photoshop. Sometimes it makes a difference, like when I'm dining out and the dining room is quite dim. And sometimes it doesn't make much of a discernible difference--the original chocolate cherry pound cake photo looks virtually identical to the one I enhanced.

^Yes, but rarely (if ever) does one eat an entire mooncake. Even I can't eat an entire mooncake!  :laugh:

Well. I Out-Linged the Ling quite a few times up till the end of the Mooncake festival. Hmm..

Also, 1 duck egg yolk is nothing. I've seen ones with FOUR!!

We usually get the ones with double yolks...four seems to be too salty for me.

I can't eat a whole one because they're so gooey sweet...it has nothing to do with stomach capacity. :laugh:

I can't eat a whole one because they're so gooey sweet...it has nothing to do with stomach capacity. :laugh:

Hey yeah, then I've outLinged the Ling before too... in previous years (when the ol' metabolism was a lot higher! :biggrin:

Sitting at your desk at work with a mug of steaming jasmine tea by your side and a slice of mooncake in hand, makes it too easy to devour an entire one without realising it. Unfortunately.

Thank-you...I often get PMs about the type of camera I use and I'm always kind of embarrassed because I have a really, really old camera with limited functions. It's a Cyber-shot 3.2 Megapixel from Sony. I don't use a tripod or a strobe. I use natural lighting and just try to hold the camera as still as possible. Yes, I brighten them and sharpen them in Photoshop.

Ling - I'd be really rather proud if I could get half as wonderful photos as you do, using an old crappy camera! I'm using a pretty old 3.2 megapixel Nikon Coolpix and have been told my shots would improve a lot if I'd upgrade my camera, but methinks it's the photographer not the equipment... as evidenced by your work :biggrin:

The sun came out so I got a decent shot of the chocolate cherry pound cake I made yesterday. I ate this for a mid-morning snack. Mmmm... :wub:

gallery_35727_2396_476657.jpg

This afternoon, I made the chocolate chip cookies out of the Macrina cookbook. They're really good. I had this as my mid-afternoon snack! :wink:

gallery_35727_2396_546782.jpg

hi ling! would you mind posting the recipe for those chocolate chip cookies? they look divine. always looking for ways to improve upon the classic.

Pastry PRincess

a day without love, laughter or dessert is a day wasted.

hi ling!  would you mind posting the recipe for those chocolate chip cookies?  they look divine.  always looking for ways to improve upon the classic.

Those cookies look so good. I think this might be the recipe;

Olivia's Old-Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies

From Leslie Mackie's Macrina Bakery & Café Cookbook, Sasquatch Books

http://www.parentmap.com/aug_04/0804_1.htm

Well once again thank you for posting these delicious recipes, sometimes I feel like taking taking and not giving anything back .Oh well its time to go back to my italian original recipes and post something new in exchange for your generosity and disponibilities ( ahhh I got lost with that one sorry sp?) guys :biggrin:

Oh sorry I alwasy forget to put what I had after dinner.A nice piece of chocolate stout cake , almost made me drunk :laugh: ,kidding ( but I could feel the beer big time.And few of my chocolates

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

^Kim, that cake looks smooth and perfect. :smile:

Well once again thank you for posting these delicious recipes, sometimes I feel like taking taking and not giving anything back.

You'll be sorry once you make them...I made 2 batches this morning, thinking I'd have some to take to my friend's house tomorrow but I only have 2 1/2 cookies left. :unsure: So I guess I have to make another batch tomorrow!

Edited by Ling (log)

I made the groom's cake for my brother's wedding, and had both wedding cake and groom's cake for dessert!

The cake was the Double Chocolate cake from the "best chocolate cake" thread and it was filled with peanut butter mousse AND peanut butter frosting (my brother's choice!) and iced with a ganache and then a mirror glaze. The decoration was peanut butter bark from epicurious.com.

The cake:

gallery_13072_1934_349380.jpg

The inside (it's sideways and I can't figure out how to rotate it!):

gallery_13072_1934_695284.jpg

I was wondering if someone can help me with this cake, because I am planning on replicating the cake for a function here at work. I think Kim is pretty busy to answer my question, but is this cake three layers and does it look like there is another filling besides the peanut butter mousse ( I am referring to the white particles)?

Thanks

Edited by oli (log)

Also, 1 duck egg yolk is nothing.  I've seen ones with FOUR!!

We usually get the ones with double yolks...four seems to be too salty for me.

I don't like the yolks. I don't eat them. Yeah, sacrilege, no?

But I guess since I do get more variety here, my mother and I usually manage to hunt out the less-sweet ones, so I can eat more!

I've had a slice of Lychee Martini cake today--it's from Pine Garden Cake, LittleIsland, and if you want the address, PM me because it's really good. I forgot to take a picture. Sigh.

PS I don't know what I did, but I messed up the quotes.

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Oh my my , the altitude beat me up again!!!!I did the cookies , and as Lorna suggested I reduced the granulated sugar to 1/2 cup ,they are still to crispy and flat , I did raise the oven as ,baking for altitude suggested,but I believe I need to either lower the granulated sugar further and add some more flour like another 1/4 maybe?.I will retry and see what happen.Well thats the beauty of the challenge right?! :biggrin:

Vanessa

^Eeek, well, I'm sure they're probably still tasty, and now you have an excuse to make more. :smile:

Today I made the Guinness Stout cake. I ate it hot out of the oven, but I should probably try a slice after it's cooled and the spices have mellowed a bit before I give an opinion.

^Eeek, well, I'm sure they're probably still tasty, and now you have an excuse to make more.  :smile:

Today I made the Guinness Stout cake. I ate it hot out of the oven, but I should probably try a slice after it's cooled and the spices have mellowed a bit before I give an opinion.

I have it (the recipe)saved on the side, so I can make it soon. Since you've made it, what do you think?

Edited by oli (log)

^I had another slice after it cooled down, and it definitely tastes better. You still get the bitterness from the stout, though. I prefer thisthis fresh ginger cake. I just love fresh ginger. The Guinness stout cake recipe also contains a bit of fresh ginger, but not as much. It's a great recipe for those who like stout...nice and moist, rose evenly, etc.

Edited by Ling (log)

I was eyeing this Dutch ginger pastry recipe from Chufi, but I was really craving a chocolate dessert tonight. I figured ginger and chocolate can work well together, so I replaced some of the butter and sugar with melted chocolate chips. The result was pretty good, like a chewy, slightly flaky brownie. I really liked the ginger bits, but I think it would have been better with a more bitter chocolate. Here's a slice, topped with some powdered sugar and orange zest:

gallery_45959_3064_78563.jpg