• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Lumas, those vegan CCCs look mighty good! May I know which Fran Costigan book the recipe came from? Thanks.

Renee K, the book is More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally. I think Fran only has one other book, which is called Great Good Desserts Naturally. I have both books but Great Good Desserts Naturally is the older one and many of the same recipes are in More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts. The chocolate chip cookies have potential. I wish she would have put the recipes in metric weight. It is the best Vegan baking book I have seen so far, and I have quite a few.

Here is a link that has five or so recipes of Fran Costigan's

I tryed the brown rice pudding. That is a bad one. The brownies look pretty good and I might try those this weekend.

Edited by Lumas (log)

A chocolate ganache tart. I found a mac nut crust recipe on gourmetsleuth. For the ganache, I added some ground coffee to the cream while it was heating and strained it into the chopped chocolate. The crust was very crumbly (either overprocessed or underbaked?) but very tasty. The filling was intense. My wife thought a little too bitter for her tastes. Overall, a hit.

This is my first post. I really enjoy the forums.

Michael

I baked Peach Cobbler for the first time for dessert today. My husband, who insists he doesn't like peaches, had two servings.

My Peach Cobbler:

gallery_48583_3621_192606.jpg

Yum, fruit of the Peach Festival?

In any case, check out the wonderful thread with photos that domestic goddess posted of a Korean Peach Festival: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks Lumas for the great link. The brownies do indeed sound good. That's gone on my (already very long) to try list. I have tried her low fat fudgy brownies, made with prune puree. Not sure which book that one came from... found the recipe on the Net. That was good. Was a little wary about the prune thing... but it worked out find... and was nice and fudgy.

I think I"m going to place an order for More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally... like the sound of her recipes. Have been looking for vegan recipes lately. Thanks again.

Ludja - you got that right! I've got a box of those grape-sized beauties from a pastor's wife (whose a close friend). Now, my plans include making peach pies and peach slump.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

A chocolate ganache tart.  I found a mac nut crust recipe on gourmetsleuth.  For the ganache, I added some ground coffee to the cream while it was heating and strained it into the chopped chocolate.  The crust was very crumbly (either overprocessed or underbaked?) but very tasty.  The filling was intense.  My wife thought a little too bitter for her tastes.  Overall, a hit.

This is my first post.  I really enjoy the forums.

Michael

Welcome to eGullet, Michael! You'll soon be as addicted as the rest of us. :biggrin:

Kim and ludja, thank you kindly. I'm glad my silly story amused you. No fun dessert tonight, just Reese's Cups (my personal kryptonite). Domestic Goddess, your peach cobbler looks wonderful. It looks like cobbler my Mom used to make.

"It was the lard that did it." -- Jamie Hyneman

Sally, I didn't know cobblers were so easy to make. I'm making another one for this weekend for my son's birthday.

I just want to show off this gorgeous British Columbia honeycomb that I brought back from my trip overseas.. a gift from a generous eGulleter.. it's so beautiful and unlike any honey I ever tasted, very light and fragrant...

gallery_21505_2929_31242.jpg

I just want to show off this gorgeous British Columbia honeycomb that I brought back from my trip overseas.. a gift from a generous eGulleter.. it's so beautiful and unlike any honey I ever tasted, very light and fragrant...

Are we going to hear about your trip? I didn't notice anything on the Vancouver forum.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Are we going to hear about your trip? I didn't notice anything on the Vancouver forum.

Check this thread out, CB.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

For dessert I tried out the cover recipe from the September 06 Bon Appetit. Its a Bete Noire (Black Beast) attributed to Chef Jason Aronen, at the Wilde Roast Cafe, Minn.

gallery_38003_3498_268533.jpg

I used Guirardelli 60% Cocao Bittersweet Chocolete, and instead of using a saucepan for melting as called for in the recipe I used the microwave.  I find it gives better control.  Also I use a pinch of salt in many of my desserts even if not called for. 

gallery_38003_3498_823688.jpg

For the whipped cream I used my miniwhip igi© and flavored the cream with two tablespoons of Creme de Cassis. 

gallery_38003_3498_512503.jpg

What do you think?

Regards,

Jmahl

I made The Beast last night. Gooooood God! It was truly amazing! People at Mr. Kim's office were threatening one another over the last piece.

Kim Shook - I would threaten somebody with death if I didn't get to sample that wonderful dessert. I'm dying over here. Any chance to send a slice to me in Janghowon, Korea. That absolutely looks scrumptious!

The Caramel Ice Cream Cake.

I think the goddess Caramelina (goddess because she's ever so fickle) is mad at me. First the caramel frosting turned grainy. Then it burned. And finally, when I tried to turn the grainy frosting into ice cream...It didn't freeze hard, and melted into something resembling a brown creme anglaise.

Still good though, if way too sweet.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Another attemp at vegan baking. Another Fran Costigan recipe. Vanilla cake and vanilla (tofu based frosting). Cake was good, but the frosting needed a stronger flavoring than vanilla to mask the slight tofu taste.

gallery_37140_3241_637596.jpg

Kim Shook - I would threaten somebody with death if I didn't get to sample that wonderful dessert. I'm dying over here. Any chance to send a slice to me in Janghowon, Korea. That absolutely looks scrumptious!

Here is a link to the recipe:

La Bete Noir

It is so easy to make!! Kim

Thank you so much, Kim. I have bookmarked the site. Now I need to find heavy cream substitute as I cannot find it here in my part of Korea.

I'm about to have a slice of a 6 layer Dobos Torte--I did the caramel topping, which wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I've already had lots of chocolate nut meringues and mooncake today.

I thought that frosting a rectangular cake would be easier than a round cake. I was wrong.

Yesterday, I ate a lot of caramel shards.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Here's what I took to church today for social hour:

5 Spice Chocolate domes filled with Mango Puree.

chocmango.jpg

and Chocolate Tulips (store bought) filled with Almond Cream, layered with brandy and Cherry Confit, topped with a brandy soaked cherry.

cherrytulip.jpg

I have been attempting to create a dessert using raisenets. My friend's birthday is approaching and she loves raisenets. So far (from the advice of Ling) I have tryed a ginger cake with rum soaked raisins and milk chocolate frosting. It was really good and I am going to make it again tomorrow.

Anyway, this was a horrid attempt lol. Ling warned me about the flavors not working well and she was right.

Chocolate Ganache Raisin Ginger Tart with a BURNT ginger brittle

gallery_37140_3241_369824.jpg