• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I think it depends on the recipe, Pontormo. I use cornstarch in stuff like pastry cream, but I also use a lot of yolks. I think it was perhaps just the butterscotch pudding recipe...or maybe I had the heat on too high or something. I strained it twice and whisked in extra yolks to try to save it, but it was still grainy and kind of soupy.

Today I made a batch of Korova dough just so I could mix it into my coffee ice-cream. :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

Everything looks great! Love the semifreddo in the tuile, Ruth.

Last night I had coconut vanilla rice pudding.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Brazilian Bolo Gelado

img0499rz6.jpg

This looks delicious, but I have no idea what it is! Could you elaborate? Is that coconut? Are they frozen? I bet I'd like them either way. :biggrin:

Oh please do share the recipe - thet translations are too hard to figure out that I have found on the web...Thanks

I'm having a pity party with a 4 layer dacquoise (because that's how many layers I got from the half-batch I whipped up) with PH caramel ganache, chocolate and salted butter caramel ice cream, and frozen brownies.

I think today I will make my goal of Out-Linging Ling. :wink:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Double fudge brownies with a layer of hand made semi-sweet chocolate mixed with toffee and almonds in the center of the layers of brownie...nuked with homemade white chocolate ice cream on top.....can you ever have too much chocolate????

Yum!   A friend wants me to make miniature coconut rice puding tarts-- how would these hold up?

There's an Italian pastry called budini that you ought to try. It's one of my favorite things in the world to have with a cappuccino in the morning, mostly consisting of a moist rice center within a delicate pastry shell. Nothing elaborate. I bet it would be terrific made with coconut milk. Look for recipes online and let me know if nothing shows up.

When someone says rice pudding, I immediately think of The Amateur Gourmet who also uses arborio rice.

P.S. Chihiran & Ling: Thanks for the reassurances about cornstarch which I tend to use just to thicken pie fillings and Chinese sauces in much smaller quantities. If you don't hear from me on the "I will never again.." thread, trust that it turned out well.

And Milady, I think the idea of having a pity party is a riot. However, anyone who pledges her allegiance to pie vs. cake CANNOT Outling Ling :hmmm:.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Yum!  A friend wants me to make miniature coconut rice puding tarts-- how would these hold up?

The recipe I used would probably be too thin for a tart filling, but if you increased the rice, or decreased the liquid, or thickened with eggs, I'm sure it would work fine. The recipe I used was as follows (from memory):

1/2C arborio rice

1/2C sugar

1C milk

1/2C cream

14oz can of coconut milk

1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

large strips of zest from one orange

Combine everything. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, and continue simmering for 20-35 minutes, until the rice remains just a little al dente.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

And Milady, I think the idea of having a pity party is a riot.  However, anyone who pledges her allegiance to pie vs. cake CANNOT Outling Ling :hmmm:.

Why not? :blink:

I'm a cake person, but I'm an equal opportunity pastry person--IOW, put it in front of me and I'll eat it. :wink:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

^Fine. I go back and forth myself, currently more swayed by pie simply because summer's fruits are around for so short a time and there will time for cake after it's over. Ling is baking beautiful tarts and galettes lately, too.

As for the budini, Apronstrings, I should have specified budini di riso. The best recipes I've seen tend to be in cookbooks (*La Dolce Vita* among others by Carol Field, Nick Malgieri, etc.).

Here's just what comes up in a quick search for English sources:

Cf. paragraphs 5 & 6 (I hope)

Overview with links to recipes

And this: Blogger's recipe, although the photographed dessert doesn't appeal to me since it's a hybrid version of two different things. Ideally, the rice and custard ingredients blend together as they do in American rice puddings, remaining creamy and moist.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Pontormo-- Thanks for the info. I didn't know there were budini al riso, just chocolate and bread puddingy ones. Silly me! And from Brooklyn, too! I enjoyed reading the sources you sent. Gotta try some next week. Hmm... breakfast budini, huh?

Patrick-- I will take your advice and thicken up your coconut rice pudding recipe.

I just made Martha Stewart's High Hat Cupcakes, in miniature. Such fun to make!!And pretty too!

Coconut vanilla rice pudding with chocolate croquettes. I was going to make the croquettes with tapioca soup, from the recipe in Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme, but I couldn't find any large pearl tapioca locally, and didn't want to order any.

gallery_23736_355_3832.jpg

gallery_23736_355_32408.jpg

The cake I made for my 40th birthday party (ouch!): two layers of chocolate sponge (Baking Illustrated recipe) soaked in Grand Marnier syrup, with a nice solid layer of marzipan cream between, topped with about an inch-thick layer of RLB's Chocolate Oblivion (made with Callebaut semisweet, also with some GM), the whole slathered with Valrhona 61%/cream/butter/GM ganache...turned out pretty OK :wink:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Patrick, you just slay me! Did you have to pick up that croquette with fingers, or did the pudding manage to support it?

*Deborah* - what, no picture?

Edited by Abra (log)

I don't keep up well with this thread because although I make my business in sugar I really can't eat much without gaining weight and this thread is dangerous to me--Patrick's & everyone photographs! sheesh :rolleyes:

But all that to say, sorry if you all have discussed this, but the orignal poster, Afterburner, has been absent from the board for almost a year. Isn't that interesting and kinda sad too.

PS. Happy Birthday, Deborah.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Patrick, you just slay me!  Did you have to pick up that croquette with fingers, or did the pudding manage to support it?

Thanks, Abra! The pudding was thick enough to support the croquettes. I was taking photos for at least 30 minutes, and they didn't sink into the pudding to any significant degree.

I'm glad I'm hungry for chocolate again...its been quite some time. Last night I made a Malaysian dinner for some friends, and finished with a chocolate-ginger cake. I made a basic chocolate genoise, cut into 5 thin layers, soaked each layer with ginger infused simple syrup, filled each layer with chocolate pastry cream and topped it all with ganache (73.5% El Rey) and candied ginger covered in gold leaf. It was good last night...better for breakfast...even better for lunch.

gingerchoc.jpg

^^^ See what I mean???!!! God, that makes me sooo hungry for three square meals of sweets and talking about having leftovers for breakfast. I love sweets for breakfast!! Totally unlike my body which hates sweets for breakfast.

:cool: I can't look--gotta wear shades :laugh:

Help help give me my sugar free jello quick quick~~but it's really good made with a tablespoon of rum. :raz:

Love you guys but I must go back to abstaining from this thread. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, Oh no, there's a National Weather Alert for flooding in low lying areas from the drool pouring from my address.

'Bye

Edited by K8memphis (log)