• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

gallery_33798_2534_175345.jpg

I was mucking around yesterday and made this, it's a raspberry mousse slice. with a sesame tuile on top. The tuile tasted nice but I added a bit too much gelatine in the mousse :rolleyes: .

I'm working on Out-Linging the Ling. Really.

Uh... how do you Out-Ling the Link hehe.

Edited by HQAntithesis (log)

gallery_33798_2534_175345.jpg

I was mucking around yesterday and made this, it's a raspberry mousse slice. with a sesame tuile on top. The tuile tasted nice but I added a bit too much gelatine in the mousse  :rolleyes: .

I'm working on Out-Linging the Ling. Really.

Uh... how do you Out-Ling the Link hehe.

By eating a tremendous amount of sweets each day. Wanna join me? :biggrin:

I'll have chocolate buttermilk pound cake with buttermilk frosting later.

And that's a gorgeous pic!

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

That's so beautiful, HQ!

Yesterday, we had cherry sorbet with apricot coulis at West as a pre-dessert, and the dessert was cinnamon and port poached blueberries with peach and brie mille feuille, and buttermilk ice-cream. I also had had a delicious red currant cake with Sicilian marzipan from fellow EGer, Abra!

Today...pastries from Hiroyuki in Seattle. My bf bought these for my parents but they shared some with me. Both desserts were incredible! :smile:

a beautiful eclair filled with local berries, whipped cream, and pastry cream

gallery_7973_3014_168679.jpg

mango gelee cake

gallery_7973_3014_151116.jpg

^No, I said in the post above that the pastries are from Hiroyuki--a bakery in Seattle.

(Thanks for the compliment though.  :smile: )

There's a passionfruit gelee recipe in this forum that's part of the Exotic Orange cake. I'm sure it's easy to find if you want to make that!

Oops, my bad :wink: I guess I was too distracted by the photos and I missed that part of your post!

Beautiful photos.

On the simpler side, I made a peach clafoutis for dessert tonight. Inspired by an apricot clafoutis I had a few weeks ago in France and the mounds of peaches that my Mother-in-law gave me last weekend, I thought I would give it a shot. I am a good cook, but an historically not-so-hot baker. I always seem to have an issue with measurements....

Anyway, I have to say that it came out very well; a little cakey, a little custardy, just like it should be. Maybe there is hope for me after all.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

Really beautiful additions to these threads - thanks for posting them. And even in if Ling's desserts are from a bakery, I don't know that anyone (besides Patrick maybe) can photograph a dessert as well. Also, here is the orange exotic thread (with related threads).

Out-Linging Ling sounds like great fun, sign me up :raz: !

We've got a special guest coming in tomorrow so I fixed this up after work tonight. Would you believe it?? The butterfly was about a cm too tall for the box and broke when I closed the lid so I had to patch it :sad: . The picture was taken before the incident though hehe. Yay!

gallery_33798_2534_152272.jpg

Also realised that more about 80% of the cakes I do in me spare time are chocolate hehe but not anymore! Going to focus on other flavours for a change! At least I'll try that is... :shock:

Out-Linging Ling sounds like great fun, sign me up  :raz: !

We've got a special guest coming in tomorrow so I fixed this up after work tonight. Would you believe it?? The butterfly was about a cm too tall for the box and broke when I closed the lid so I had to patch it  :sad: . The picture was taken before the incident though hehe. Yay!

gallery_33798_2534_152272.jpg

Also realised that more about 80% of the cakes I do in me spare time are chocolate hehe but not anymore! Going to focus on other flavours for a change! At least I'll try that is...  :shock:

Tell us what we're drooling over here...! :raz:

gfron, you're too kind. I actually have a crappy 2.0 megapixel camera (it doesn't even have the macro function!) but I spend about 30 seconds Photoshopping some of the pictures I take to make them look a bit clearer and brighter.

HQ...that's absolutely beautiful!

Renee...it's a mousse cake. He also does a matcha tiramisu that's quite good, but I think the mango gelee cake is my favourite thing so far.

This past weekend, I received a madeleine pan for my birthday and decided to try it out.

gallery_28111_3137_35804.jpg

Now I'm hooked. Next up will be a matcha variation.

Thanks, Ling. I'm now feeling rather inspired to maybe try either a white chocolate mousse/mango gelee or coconut mousse/mango gelee cake. I just love the look of those swirls of gelee through the smooth whiteness. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Wow, HQ, that is one amazing cake. Beautiful! Yes, please do tell us more about the composition of the cake.

I forgot to take a picture but we just celebrated my nieces birthday with a 3 layer cheesecake. I baked my normal brownie in the bottom of a springform. Then baked a Baileys cheesecake on top of that. Chilled and added a layer of very simple chocolate mousse to the top. Very, very good!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Mmm Cluizel ganache! Bailey cheesecake! :wub:

No one wanted to eat my galette. :angry: (I think my family is more health-conscious than I am.) I could have easily fed you, Shaya and Pontormo! :smile: So I finished my 8" galette by myself with some vanilla ice-cream and then I had some coffee ice-cream.

Next time! I would like Daniel's plum soup decorated by his girl and the lobster-potato & caviar Naps, first, please.

BTW: How are your stone fruits this year? Ours in the other Washington are not as sweet as they were last summer; the intensity of flavor that you get with some fruits due to drier season (true? myth?) seems to be missing...or maybe it is still too early for peaches and nectarines in their prime.

ETA: Some bonbons afterwards with mint leaves on the plate, if it would not be too much trouble.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

A couple more recent desserts at the casa...

Cannoli -- The absolute best I've ever made. Whipped a bit of cream first, then lightly folded in fresh ricotta, mascarpone, and powdered sugar. The texture was absolutely perfect. So fluffy. Now if I could just get up the nerve to try making the shells myself...

gallery_18974_1420_33199.jpg

Molten Chocolate Babycakes -- Used E. Guittard 72% chocolate. Very rich, but not overly so. I am no pastry chef, but this is a fool-proof recipe is ever there were one.

gallery_18974_1420_30509.jpg

BTW: How are your stone fruits this year?  Ours in the other Washington are not as sweet as they were last summer; the intensity of flavor that you get with some fruits due to dryer season (true?  myth?) seems to be missing...or maybe it is still too early for peaches and nectarines in their prime.

The white peaches and white nectarines I've been getting are kind of flavourless too...actually, that's the reason why I made the galette, to get rid of some fruit that is frankly quite boring to eat as is.

ling - that galette is just gorgeous! the crust looks especially flaky & delicious - did you use a regular pie crust? puff pastry? also, what are the darker flecks? - vanilla bean? ground nuts?

really - just gorgeous; i could eat that all day long! :biggrin: