• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Those blueberry tarts look wondeful, Lumas. I like the idea of kirsch-flavored custard with the blueberries...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Ling, would you do the caramel as a smear then invert them, or really put it on the top?

I would put them on top, just like how I do my salted caramel cheesecakes. :smile:

Yesterday, I had mini donuts from Pike Place Market (an enormous bag for only $2 as they were closing), and then at Mistral I had strawberry, coconut, and passionfruit sorbet, and a blackberry and mango cobbler with lemonbalm sauce and vanilla ice-cream. Mmmm! The coconut sorbet was my favourite!

I made it exactly as written: 2 cups cream, 5 1/2 cups water. I thought about using milk, but there wasn't any in the recipe and I wasn't sure how the milk proteins would affect the texture, so it was just cream and water.

Yesterday--matcha tiramisu, chocolate and pistachio cannoli from our Sicilian dinner, Bread and chocolate bar from Phinney 3400.

Today--strawberry pie and cream, white peach ice-cream, Snickerdoodles

ETA: oops, that was from me...(Ling) forgot to log out of bf's account

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

Yesterday--matcha tiramisu, chocolate and pistachio cannoli from our Sicilian dinner, Bread and chocolate bar from Phinney 3400.

I was just thinking it was odd that Henry was reporting on his desserts since I remember you saying he wasn't much of a dessert guy before he met you. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Lumas, those blueberry tarts are gorgeous. 

gallery_16307_215_7134.jpg

Here's Prasantrin's Mango Pudding with fresh raspberries.  Delicious and light.

Wow! What a great picture! Mine certainly never looked so good--I think I need some new serving dishes...It looks like it's suspended in champagne jelly.

About the cream vs milk, you can actually use either, but we're a full-fat family (which could help account for a number of things :biggrin: ) so we've always used cream (and with all that water, the cream practically becomes milk...). But you could use milk, or a combination of milk and cream, for the cream or you could probably eliminate the water completely and just use milk and cream for the liquid. It's a very very flexible recipe. I would even consider adding some other fruit puree or juice instead of some of the cream/milk/water. I'd like to try adding some yoghurt to it to add a bit of zing, but I haven't gotten around to trying that, yet.

But if you ever decide to try adding cream cheese, please use a stick blender so the cream cheese doesn't end up as chunks in your pudding (my mother has some bad memories of the results of that experiment!).

(And just to give credit where credit is due, the recipe originally came from an aunt who got it from somewhere else, but my mother has claimed it as her own.)

I made a hazelnutcake with zabaglione cream filling today, for a friend's 50th birthday. I've made it before but it came out better this time. And yes, there are 50 hazelnuts on top. Nobody noticed but I thought that was very clever :laugh:

gallery_21505_2929_47877.jpg

I haven't had much time to bake recently, but I did manage to play with making basil ice cream this weekend.  Wow, is it good!  You taste vanilla first, and then the basil sneaks in underneath and lingers on the tongue.  A definite keeper.

An excellent dessert I always remember out at a restaurant was a dark flourless or almost flourless chocolate cake with a quenelle of thai basil ice cream. The outside of the ice cream was studded with grated dark chocolate... (Gerald Hiroygen at an earlier restaurant in SF, Pastis.)

Beautiful looking cake, Chufi!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I was just thinking it was odd that Henry was reporting on his desserts since I remember you saying he wasn't much of a dessert guy before he met you. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Surprisingly, he also ate all of the sweets I noted above, with the exception of the chocolate bar! :laugh: I think he especially liked the strawberry pie and the Snickerdoodles I made...and ice-cream is also one of his favourite desserts. :smile:

The last few desserts on this page look great, especially the mango pudding! I'm going to check out that recipe...my family loves mango pudding and I can't even remember the last time I made it.

Here are a few things I've made since the last time I posted to this thread.

Orange-caramel ice cream with orange caramel sauce.

gallery_23736_355_7227.jpg

Amaretto cheesecake with Amaretto caramel.

gallery_23736_355_38653.jpg

Lemon sponge with Orange Mousseline Buttercream.

gallery_23736_355_24674.jpg

The "Exotic" from Jean Phillipe Maury at the Bellagio in Vegas.

gallery_23736_355_27859.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Geez, Patrick! It all looks deadly, but that ice cream is a thing of beauty, with its little caramel bits. How did you keep them from melting into the ice cream?

Klary and Dana, those cakes look scrumptious.

Hi All,

Can I join in?

I'm from UK but my husband and me have been living in Taiwan/ROC for three months now. The fruits are really gorgeous here and yesterday for dessert we had this delicious mango:

gallery_24933_3174_38722.jpg

It was in its right ripenesss, sweet, juicy and the flesh was so smooth...

Marcia.

Your pictures are lovely to behold as usual, Patrick...especially that delicate lemon sponge roll! I've only tried making a sponge cake roll once...that was about 10 years ago. I remember my sponge cake cracking when I was trying to roll it over the lemon curd and I got discouraged...I should try it again. :smile:

Welcome, Marcia! The colours in your picture are so vibrant! :smile:

Geez, Patrick!  It all looks deadly, but that ice cream is a thing of beauty, with its little caramel bits.  How did you keep them from melting into the ice cream?

Thanks, Abra. :smile: Actually, the little bits are minced orange zest. The caramel is all dissolved in the base. Its 96 and humid here today -- I think a little more ice cream may be called for.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Reminded of a dessert my mother-in-law had not too long ago in Mooshmouses account of Banoffi Pie...

A perfect Gin Martini for Ian (three olives, of course) and a Ruby Slipper for me (some brilliant concoction with raspberry sorbet, vodka and sparkling wine among other things). A trio of sorbets: mascarpone, strawberry and passionfruit-banana. Such pure flavours. Feckin' brilliant. And, of course, the restaurant's second-last slice of banoffi pie... Ian finally understands the true measure of goodness about which I've raved so often.

in Vancouver's "Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately" thread. I googled Banoffi Pie and came up with a number of variations. I decided to try the one which claimed to be the original. Three of my tasters began with a small piece and all came back for more. For something so simple it sure is delicious. I'll definitely make it again.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

X, beautiful, but absolutely say more!  What exactly are we looking at - hungry minds want to know.

specifics, a very thin slice of carrot blanched in simple syrup and a very thin strip of coconut gelee, coconut milk powder, eggless passion fruit ginger curd/

www.adrianvasquez.net