• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I bought my first raspberries of the season at the market today, and enjoyed them with some leftover trimmings from yesterday's pound cake. (Unfortunately you can see the berries got a bit squashed on the bike ride home)

gallery_22182_2693_96976.jpg

I think one of my favourite things about summer fruits is that their short period of availability makes them that much better. I like apples, but I eat one everyday - there's not much special about apples for me. But every summer it's like eating summer fruits for the first time again. I'd forgotten really what raspberries tasted like, and nearly didn't buy any at the market. However, at £1 a punnet I figured why not, and I'm glad I bought them - I'd forgotten how much I love raspberries :biggrin:

Edited by lexy (log)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Red Velvet cake

(It was my first time tasting this particular cake. I used Jaymes's recipe in Recipe Gullet, with a few modifications.)

What did you think? Did you like it? I've never tried red velvet before either. I like CHOCOLATE cake so I'm not sure I'd be ok with a slightly chocolatey tasting cake. When I looked at your picture before reading the post I thought you'd made beet cake. :raz:

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

^It was different! Honestly, one of the reasons I avoided making it for so long was I couldn't get why the recipe called for such a small amount of cocoa....but the flavour is actually quite interesting.

If you ever get the urge to try a Red Velvet cake, I would suggest Jaymes's recipe. I've looked at a whole slew of recipes over the years but that one seems the best...it is very moist indeed. I added another tablespoon of cocoa and more red food colouring to the recipe.

more thoughts here

Edited by Ling (log)

Ling - your red velvet cake looks pretty Canadian to me.

It's very red and white indeed! But the cake I made is almost all gone, and I think I'll try a different recipe in a few days. :smile:

Thanks for the recipes, Swisskaese. We're probably going to have a picnic on Canada Day and the raspberry tart looks delicious and easy to transport.

gallery_12424_1321_216493.jpg

Hehe. Just kidding.... though for reference the MEGA-brownie is 11,500 calories.

It's Ina's Outrageous Oreo Crunch brownies (recipes is available multiple places online), and it is destined to be cut into 32 pieces (not 20 as Ina would instruct, because as much as I love her recipes, I definitely am not interested in having her figure...). :blink:

They are rich just like they always are, but now that I've made them several times (in both the original and this oreo variation), I'm ready for Ling's recipe. Shocking as this might be, Ling's brownies could actually be less caloric....

:biggrin:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

gallery_12424_1321_216493.jpg

Hehe.  Just kidding.... though for reference the MEGA-brownie is 11,500 calories.

It's Ina's Outrageous Oreo Crunch brownies (recipes is available multiple places online), and it is destined to be cut into 32 pieces (not 20 as Ina would instruct, because as much as I love her recipes, I definitely am not interested in having her figure...).  :blink:

They are rich just like they always are, but now that I've made them several times (in both the original and this oreo variation), I'm ready for Ling's recipe.  Shocking as this might be, Ling's brownies could actually be less caloric....

:biggrin:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

Looks yum, Andrea!

Ling's brownies are in RecipeGullet. They weren't rich enough for me, so I upped the calorificness by adding more chocolate. :laugh:

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

^Well...I think the chocolate-yness of your recipe and mine are comparable since I use 5 oz 99% + 3 oz bittersweet + 2 tbsp. cocoa and you use 10 oz. bittersweet...so about the same amount of cocoa solids, yes? :laugh:

That's an enormous brownie, Andrea. That's hilarious how you got it out of the pan in one huge piece!

^Well...I think the chocolate-yness of your recipe and mine are comparable since I use 5 oz 99% + 3 oz bittersweet + 2 tbsp. cocoa and you use 10 oz. bittersweet...so about the same amount of cocoa solids, yes?  :laugh:

That's an enormous brownie, Andrea. That's hilarious how you got it out of the pan in one huge piece!

I use 4 oz cocoa. It helps keeps my brothers away from my brownies because they think it's too much. :laugh:

Life is good.

I'm finishing up the rest of the Alfajores today and tomorrow.

May

I use 4 oz cocoa. It helps keeps my brothers away from my brownies because they think it's too much.  :laugh:

:blink: May, you've out-Linged me. :wink:

I haven't yet. Got one more test to pass.

I'm baking tomorrow, then I'll sit in the kitchen and finish 1 chiffon cake and 1 chocolate cake and half a dozen cookies. Then I'll have out-Linged you. Well, I'll try anyway. :wink:

May

Ling, thanks for the chocolate cookie recipe! I baked a double batch last night and ate 3 before they were even cool. I had another one that "broke" while I was packing some up to bring to work. One of my co-workers described them as crispy and soft in all the right places. They disappeared very quickly. Next batch will be with chocolate chunks and dried cherries.

^Well...I think the chocolate-yness of your recipe and mine are comparable since I use 5 oz 99% + 3 oz bittersweet + 2 tbsp. cocoa and you use 10 oz. bittersweet...so about the same amount of cocoa solids, yes?  :laugh:

It was stable as one piece because I popped it in the freezer for 90 minutes after it came out of the oven to hasten the cooling.... so it was pretty much frozen at that point. :biggrin:

Oh, and I did run that stats on your recipe, and they are indeed very similar if you compare "like" serving sizes. But since I've heard such good things about your recipe, I HAVE to try it....

Andrea

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

RheaS: I'm so glad the cookies turned out well. I am kind of nervous giving out approximations to others because I don't know how accurate my guesses are! :smile: (And in case you're wondering, the tablespoon of molasses in the recipe is there because I didn't have any brown sugar on hand.)

Abra: That caramel sauce sounds perfect for any tropical dessert! Do you just steep the cinnamon and lemongrass in the coconut milk, then add that to the caramelized sugar? (I don't think the bad food day is actually going to happen, btw, because HE'S going to have to eat stuff like Dick's and he really abhors that particular Seattle institution. :laugh: )

Andrea: When I bake the brownies for myself, I usually cut the sugar down to 1 3/4 cup because I tend to like things a little less sweet than most people. But if you make it with the 2 cups of sugar, the recipe still contains less sugar than most brownie recipes with that amount of unsweetened chocolate. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

It is with much sadness that I announce to my fellow eGulleters that nobody, as yet, has managed out-Ling the Ling. Including me.

I shall try again tomorrow, since I currently have a sponge roll, 2 Spago chocolate cakes (peanut oil...WTF was I thinking?), cream puffs and Melting Chocolate Meringues from Alice Medrich. The sponge roll is also a Medrich recipe.

I am determined, and I shall succeed.

May

I applaud your efforts.

Remember that you can't out-Ling me in one day. You have to keep it up for, like, a year. :laugh:

We were too full for dessert last night, having had a rather heavy lunch and dinner out (Chinese, then Indian food). I ate some Valrhona when I got home. Gotta love how they're dirt cheap at Trader Joe's.

Today I ate another big lunch and dinner, so dessert was just some vanilla ice-cream. I also made a chocolate chiffon cake with a coconut filling (coconut cream, coconut, sugar, cornstarch slurry) and Valrhona chocolate frosting for my boyfriend's friend who is allergic to dairy. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

Inspired by the "What's for Dinner?" and "Breakfast -- The most important meal of the day" threads in the "Cooking" forum, I ask you...

What are you cooking for dessert for yourself?

I just pulled a strawberry/blackberry crisp out of the oven.  Cinnamon, brown sugar, and St. Brendan's Irish Creme was mixed in with the fruit.  The crisp topping contains a buncha butter, brown sugar, toasted coconut flakes, flour, and rolled oats.

Smells amazing.  I'm about to go try it now that's it's cooled down a bit.

What am I eating for dessert? Well today I had 6 dried prunes for dinner?

So you think I am health conscious? Hmmmmm no. Yesterday I had fruit cake for supper and dessert. The day before yesterday I had Cappucinno cheesecake!!

Devagi Sanmugam

Devagi Sanmugam

www.devagi.com

Today I'm prepping the desserts for my Fourth of July barbecue. I've made fudgy brownies with chocolate croquant chopped and swirled in, the crepes from Martha's Darkest Chocolate Crepe Cake ( how does she get 32??), hazelnut buttercream to spread them with, and nightscotsman's marshmallows (again). I'm thinking of skewering some and putting them on the grill- it should be fun! Now I need to find a nice fruit dessert. Anyone have a good grilled fruit recipe that's out of the ordinary?? Thanks !!!