• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

That sounds really interesting, gfron. Did the garam masala really come through?

Very powerfully. I smelled all of the various mixes in my cupboard to find the one that scented to be the best for a sweet. The SWAD mix, which we use for an everyday curry, wasn't too harsh, but had a nice sweet perfume to it. So it very much came through but in a great way. I can't say enough how good it tasted.

I had a Bakewell Tart. The crust was great, thanks to Ling!

My macarons cracked this time. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe because I subbed the almonds for hazelnuts? :hmmm: But I had at least half a dozen so far.

And Alfajores. Not bad, but I don't think it's something I'll make again. Pics tomorrow. I hope.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

those chocolate chip cookies look amazing ,Ling!

would it be possible for you to provide us with the recipe?

I actually didn't use a real recipe...just kind of made it up as I went along, and they turned out great.

The ingredients were (approximately)

3/4 cups of softened butter

1 1/2 cup white sugar

1 tbsp molasses

an egg

a loose pour of vanilla...probably about 1.5 tsp.

1 cup of pastry flour

2/3 cup of dutch processed cocoa

.5 tsp baking soda

pinch of salt

1 1/4 cup of chocolate chips

Baked in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes...they were very soft when they came out.

Edited by Ling (log)

I'm pretty proud of myself because I made something from scratch for the very first time today (when I was younger I would help my mum decorate cookies but that was it).

I followed Dorie Greenspan's (adapted from Pierre Herme) recipe for Korova cookies.

I didn't have a beater or a weighing machine so I did everything by hand 0_0 I may have added in a little too much flour/cocoa as the dough was a little bit too crumbly so only 20 cookies looked pretty ! The rest crumbled madly when I sliced them .

I had quite a lot of crumble left so I uh... well..I pretended they were hamburger patties. These turned out fudgier than the sliced versions.

The cookies taste amazing! I'm definitely doing this again sometime!

^ Shaloop, that coffee cake is absolutely gorgeous!!! Looks so moist and tender and buttery! You've got me drooling here! :wub:

May we have the recipe please?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

My macarons cracked this time. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe because I subbed the almonds for hazelnuts? :hmmm: But I had at least half a dozen so far.

Did I help you with a crust recipe? I don't remember...which recipe did you use? :smile:

I don't think the type of nut would matter too much to a recipe...I used to make macaroons all the time for my ex and I used whatever I had on hand, and it was often almonds.

Did I help you with a crust recipe? I don't remember...which recipe did you use? :smile:

I don't think the type of nut would matter too much to a recipe...I used to make macaroons all the time for my ex and I used whatever I had on hand, and it was often almonds.

Yup. 2 and a half cups pastry flour, 1 egg, 1/2 t vinegar and enough water--ended up only using the egg yolk though. I'll try the sour cream variation really soon--have a carton.

I didn't think so either, and this time I actually did sieve the nut flour to remove the larger bits too. :hmmm: Off to have a few more.

May

^ May we have the recipe please?

Sure. It's Gale Gand's Pecan Coffee Cake

After tasting the cake I would say it was good but not great. If I made it again I would reduce the eggs by one to make it softer/lighter in texture. I think it looks better than it tastes, lol.

Edited by shaloop (log)

Beating the odds in my extremely dodgy kitchen (uni residence), I managed to turn out a blueberry and lemon pound cake. I think I've discovered the way to eat puddings and never gain a pound - bake in an extremely poorly equipped kitchen! Try creaming butter and sugar with a fork - excellent upper body workout. :raz: Haven't tasted the entire thing together yet (it's for a dinner party tonight), but all the individual components were tasty :biggrin:

gallery_22182_2693_163930.jpg

How dodgy is my kitchen you might ask? Here's my "cooling rack", with my loaves (nicely burnt by The Oven From Hades) resting atop it.

gallery_22182_2693_61943.jpg

edited because I can't spell

Edited by lexy (log)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I don't really even like chocolate,

:shock::shock:

Lexy, my kitchen isn't exactly dodgy, but I don't have a cooling rack and my cooling system is much like yours! Finished loaves look great btw.

2 things I made recently: Milky rice pudding (muhallabiya), made with rice flour and flavoured with the basque aromatic mixture from Paula Wolfert's Cooking of Southwest France (pastis, rum, brandy, almond, orangeflowerwater, orange rind. :wub: )

Diced nectarines on top (which were also steeped in the same boozy aromatic mixture)..

gallery_21505_2929_26745.jpg

Really really good chocolate cookies. The recipe is from Nigella Lawson's Domestic Goddess book, but I added almonds, almond extract and vanilla. I just had them for dessert with some icecream (and took a tin to work today, where my co-workers ended up almost fighting over them :smile: )

gallery_21505_2929_32840.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Last nght was one of the tastiest failures I've ever made...

I was trying to modify Abra's sesame cake from a few weeks ago by using gluten free flour mix. Then of course half way through I discover I don't have enough GF flour mixed up, and am out of some of the rice flours I use to make it, so I sort of wung it & added a random mix of tapioca flour & potato starch to fill out the measure. I also baked it in my "pie oven" which is a little tempermental (though not lexy's Oven from Hades). Instead of the hour called for in the original recipe this was in the oven for about 2.5 hours total with me sticking in a cake tester every 20 mins or so and they always came out gooey :blink: I finally just gave up because, while nicely browned on top, & unquestionably cooked through, the damned thing was clearly never going to become cake :angry:

Then we tasted it. :wub:

What we had instead of cake was this gooey sesame pudding with a crunchy top that was just fabulous! incredibly rich & peanutbuttery, with nice bits of raisin and sesame seeds for contrast. I don't think I can ever duplicate it, which is too bad, because while it wasn't the dish I was trying for it was incredibly good, and it made my gluten-free guests very happy :smile:

gallery_20334_1332_45071.jpg

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Yup. 2 and a half cups pastry flour, 1 egg, 1/2 t vinegar and enough water--ended up only using the egg yolk though. I'll try the sour cream variation really soon--have a carton.

Oh right! I'm glad it turned out well for you. :smile:

Yes it's try, Klary...Henry says he never ate sweets before he met me, but now he's gladly gobbling up my peanut butter cookies, chocolate cookies, and brownies. :laugh:

I have a drawer in his kitchen that I use for my (small, but growing) collection of chocolate bars, since I'm over there quite often now.

Yesterday, I just had some chocolate (Valrhona) and some vanilla ice-cream.

Edited by Ling (log)

Yes it's try, Klary...Henry says he never ate sweets before he met me, but now he's gladly gobbling up my peanut butter cookies, chocolate cookies, and brownies.  :laugh:

I have a drawer in his kitchen that I use for my (small, but growing) collection of chocolate bars, since I'm over there quite often now.

How does it compare to the Korova cookie?

Also, some chocolate and some vanilla ice cream? That's all? Ling, you can do better! :laugh:

May

[...]Yes it's try, Klary...Henry says he never ate sweets before he met me, but now he's gladly gobbling up my peanut butter cookies, chocolate cookies, and brownies.  :laugh:[...]

Fattening him up, eh? :laugh::raz:

Seriously, it's nice that eGullet can sometimes function as a matchmaker for amazing cooks like you two. I think that helps fulfill the Mission Statement, because you make great food together, and I'm sure you talk about food a lot in your quiet times together. Ain't that the truth? :laugh:

So, what's the next magical creation from you?

Michael aka "Pan"

Yes it's try, Klary...Henry says he never ate sweets before he met me, but now he's gladly gobbling up my peanut butter cookies, chocolate cookies, and brownies.  :laugh:

How does it compare to the Korova cookie?

Also, some chocolate and some vanilla ice cream? That's all? Ling, you can do better! :laugh:

Very different from the Korova cookie...those are sable cookies and the ones I made recently are like your standard soft, fudgy chocolate cookie. I did use quite a bit more cocoa than more recipes call for to get a deeper chocolatey taste, since I was using white chocolate chips, which I normally don't like. But they are good in this cookie, and semi-sweet chips would work as well, of course.

Yeah just some chocolate and vanilla ice-cream...I am trying to drop a few pounds. :laugh:

[...]Yes it's try, Klary...Henry says he never ate sweets before he met me, but now he's gladly gobbling up my peanut butter cookies, chocolate cookies, and brownies.  :laugh:[...]

Fattening him up, eh? :laugh::raz:

Seriously, it's nice that eGullet can sometimes function as a matchmaker for amazing cooks like you two. I think that helps fulfill the Mission Statement, because you make great food together, and I'm sure you talk about food a lot in your quiet times together. Ain't that the truth? :laugh:

So, what's the next magical creation from you?

Thanks...yes we talk about food a lot of the time. Henry thinks we should spend a day eating crappy fast food just so we can prove to ourselves that our relationship is not just built on a mutual appreciation of good food. :laugh:

We made a Sardinian dinner a few days ago, and some Yukon River salmon. The pictures are here if you missed them. :smile: We'll probably cook something on Friday night when I'm down in Seattle again, and (since this is the dessert thread), I might get him to help me make a dessert for a party on Saturday.

Saturday is Canada Day, and I'll be the lone Canadian at the party. I was thinking of bringing something red and white...like a gussied-up raspberry cream tart or strawberry cheesecake. Any ideas?

I made Little Island's chocolate chiffon cake today. I got one 9" cake out of the recipe, plus 6 cupcakes. I topped them with E. Guittard ganache.

gallery_7973_3014_104319.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)