• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Next time you come down to L.A. you should make it a point to go to Michel Richard's which is not too far from Sweet Lady Jane.  Also in Glendale and Burbank is a really big bakery and deli, is Porto's.  Victor Benes is also very nice and they are in the Gelson's Markets.  The best one is in Sherman Oaks.

Thanks for the recommendations. I didn't have much luck at Boule (though the sorbet was good) or Sweet Lady Jane, so I'll definitely check our Michel Richard's on my next trip. :smile:

ETA: That is such a perfect dessert, Patrick! You never fail to impress me!

Edited by Ling (log)

Patrick that is absolutely stunning  - incredible photo.  How big was it - I can't tell if it was large or individual serving?

Thanks, gfron! Its about 6" in diameter.

ludja:

Were you happy with the taste? I would think the passionfruit gelee really adds a lot. One of my favorite desserts, at a restaurant, was a passionfruit creme brulee in which the passionfruit layer on top added a wonderful flavor and contrast.

I was pretty happy with the taste. I think acidic fruits like passion fruit, lemon and orange work pretty well with white chocolate. Plus, I just like the color of the passion fruit.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I tried making a jaconde cake for the first time, and it went relatively well. This has a jaconde base and border, a crunchy white chocolate layer on the bottom, white chocolate/Grand Marnier mousse in the middle, and passionfruit gelee on top. BTW, I'm not infatuated with white chocolate -- I was given several pounds of it as a gift and have been looking for ways to use it.

gallery_23736_355_36123.jpg

Very nice. I mean the picture. I have tempted for some time( years) to make a jaconde, but for some reason, I am somewhat reluctant to try.

I tried making a jaconde cake for the first time, and it went relatively well. This has a jaconde base and border, a crunchy white chocolate layer on the bottom, white chocolate/Grand Marnier mousse in the middle, and passionfruit gelee on top. BTW, I'm not infatuated with white chocolate -- I was given several pounds of it as a gift and have been looking for ways to use it.

I have made jaconde a couple of times but is has never looked this great. It is a stunning looking cake. Any tips??

Relatively well?! That thing is smokin'!

Relatively well?! That thing is smokin'!

That's what I was going to say! You have to nit pick to find a flaw with that!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Pille, I am glad to see that quinoa was great in dessert!

A couple of monts ago i made a salad using it. The taste was great but we did not like the texture at all.

Thanks, kaneel! I haven't yet tried making quinoa salad yet, but the texture of cooked quinoa was quite pleasant, so I think I'd like it. In the cream, the texture was very subtle, so maybe you could give quinoa another go?

PS your name is the exact spelling of 'cinnamon' in my language (Estonian, that is). Makes me dream of cinnamon rolls whenever I see a post of yours :rolleyes:

carrot cake

Do you have a favourite carrot cake recipe? I love a good carrot cake, but I rarely make them, and have been disappointed with the results - I've only tried my mum's family recipe though, which (shh! keep this quiet!) makes a rather rubbery cake.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

carrot cake

Do you have a favourite carrot cake recipe? I love a good carrot cake, but I rarely make them, and have been disappointed with the results - I've only tried my mum's family recipe though, which (shh! keep this quiet!) makes a rather rubbery cake.

Go here.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

No pics, but this week I made cinnamon tuile cups with a scoop of lemon mousse, topped with fresh blueberries & rasberries.  Light and refreshing.

Blueberries! I can't wait to start using them with a vengeance in desserts and baked goods. They are a seasonal treat I look forward to all year long. Your dessert sounds delicious.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

carrot cake

I do...my favourite recipe is the one I made yesterday. I looked at a bunch of recipes and kind of adjusted the proportions in my mind while I was baking to get the result I want. It's kind of a mix with the UCLA recipe and the Frog Commissary cake recipe you'll find in the carrot cake thread.

I do...my favourite recipe is the one I made yesterday. I looked at a bunch of recipes and kind of adjusted the proportions in my mind while I was baking to get the result I want. It's kind of a mix with the UCLA recipe and the Frog Commissary cake recipe you'll find in the carrot cake thread.

Thanks, will definitely be looking into these (I finish exams next week, and I think I need a celebratory cake :biggrin: )

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Yesterday I had a few slices of carrot cake, an old-fashioned glazed donut from Top Pot's, and also had about half a donut each of their blueberry, their cherry, and their apple cinnamon. Still love the old-fashioned glazed one the best, by far.

Edited by Ling (log)

I have had a rose apple, a cupcake, two slices of kaya swiss roll and two slices of chocolate cake frosted with chocolate meringue buttercream.

Today, I can say I came close to besting Ling with the amount of dessert I ate.

Tomorrow, I'll try to do better. :laugh:

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

^I admire your determination! :laugh:

Today I had 2 more slices of carrot cake (it's all gone now :sad: ), a slice of a cream sponge-cake roll from a Chinese bakery, a bowl of tapioca pudding with chestnut cream and a pastry crust at dim sum, and also egg tarts at dim sum. Eating a bit of coffee ice-cream now. :raz:

No pics, but this week I made cinnamon tuile cups with a scoop of lemon mousse, topped with fresh blueberries & rasberries.  Light and refreshing.

Blueberries! I can't wait to start using them with a vengeance in desserts and baked goods. They are a seasonal treat I look forward to all year long. Your dessert sounds delicious.

The cninamon in the tuiles was a nice complement to the blueberries. :smile: