• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

This is an El Rey white chocolate mousse with warm, thickened passion fruit sauce on top. The mousse recipe is from Sherry Yard, and is egg and cream-based. The sauce is simply sweetened passion fruit puree thickened with a little cornstarch. The picture is a wee bit overexposed.

gallery_23736_355_5736.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Sometimes underexposed or overexposed will give a more dramatic feel to the picture. I think the underexposure give the dessert a lightness as if one is trying to convey this is something one has at breakfast.

Nice

No photo because it was not the most visually appealing, but tonights eventual desset was a real winner for taste.

After seeing the Strawberry Bruschetta thread I decided to try it. not the greatest ever since the berries weren't the best, but the grilled pound cake and a a dollop of sweetened sour cream made for a nice enough combo. However we then added a scoop of home-made basil ice-cream & suddenly WOW! the warm berries against the sweet cold basil were plate licking good :raz:

I will have to revisit this later in the summer when we actually have decent berries available.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Since this is the start of the berry season here in the Pacific Northwest I got an early start on it and made a Fraisier this weekend. The original recipe came form the book Dessert Circus by Jacques Torres. It is composed of: layers of biscuit cake sweetened with a sauce made of strawberry puree, simple syrup, and raspberry liquor; fresh raspberries and strawberries; and held together with a strawberry buttercream frosting. Needless to say a small slice goes a long way.

gallery_9087_359_256465.jpg

Fred Rowe

I made Filipe's Portuguese Custard Tarts which at every stage I thought was going to be a failure and turned out deliciously.

Got some pics? :)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

I made Filipe's Portuguese Custard Tarts which at every stage I thought was going to be a failure and turned out deliciously.

Got some pics? :)

Since it was my first attempt, they were not worth photographing, but now that I understand what I'm doing better, I'll definitely try again and put more effort into presentation. I'm happy/sad to say that I ate 8 on the first day and the other 4 for breakfast...I'm such a glutton. BTW, I really wanted to add blackberries to the recipe, but didn't to stay true to the recipe this time. I think they would be wonderful in your tarts.

Little tarts with bittersweet passionfruit ganache and poached apricots.

gallery_23736_355_40034.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

summer s'mores!

lemon butter cookies (top half carmelised under the grill), tart lemon cream and homemade marshmallows

3a5ef574.jpg

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Patrick, your photos are stunning.  :wub:

Thanks, Tweety. You are too kind!

Gorgeous tarts, Patrick!

Binkyboots...I love those s'mores! What a great idea. Yum!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

thanks guys!

the cookies are somewhat soft, I underbaked them just a little... I think the other way to go would be a flakier pastry type cookie.

according to sources (lol) they are pretty easy to eat, mum tried to keep things tidy by using a fork :blink: but I think fingers might be the right tool for the job.

I thought everything might slide out sideways when bitten, but they held together, leaving them to sit for a while after filling helps.

wierd al ~ spam

7169e01b.jpg

celebration cacti cookies with margarita icing! they're for tonight as I have good news for the folks :cool:

wierd al ~ spam

sure,

I used 2tsp tequila and the juice of half a lemon, I boiled these for just a minute... then I added them to icing sugar and whisked till I got a thick goop.

once I'd iced the cookies I sprinkled them with sanding sugar and a little fine sea salt.

wierd al ~ spam