• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Peanut butter parfait with peanut butter crunch tuile, cherry sorbet and cherry sauce, Absolutely fantastic mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :raz:

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Today's dessert: Nougat gugelhupf on Mocha sauce with mint leaves

gallery_23358_2572_42115.jpg

gallery_23358_2572_66169.jpg

That looks lovely!

That does look nice, legourmet. Very professional looking. Did you make it yourself, or is it a restuarant dessert? Your post didn't make it clear.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Now I want individual gugelhupf molds! :smile:

The recipe also sounds like an interesting variation on the traditional recipes, legourmet.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I don't normally bake during term time since the oven in my residence kitchen is pretty dodgy, but I made some apple tartlets this morning because this afternoon my team competes in qualifying race heats, and I thought we'd probably want a little something for afterwards. :smile:

gallery_22182_2693_168795.jpg

Those are gorgeous!!! Can we have the recipe?

Thank you! - unfortunately they got a bit squashed before the end of the day.

The recipe is a loose adaptation of Rose Levy Beranbaum's Open-Faced Designer Apple Pie (pg. 84 of the Pie and Pastry Bible)

Make a batch of your preferred pie dough (I use my Mum's recipe, but it doesn't really matter much what you use - phyllo or puff pastry would probably be nice too), roll it out and cut out circles about 3-4" wide (depending on the size of your muffin tin). Blind bake the pastry shells at 425?F for a little under ten minutes, then prick the bottoms and put them back into the oven, uncovered, until lightly browned. Let cool.

For the apple filling:

I used four medium-small apples for 12 tartlets, but mileage may vary. Peel, core, and halve the apples and slice them as thinly as possible. Toss with 2/3 cup brown sugar (packed), splash of lemon juice, pinch salt, shake of cinnamon, and a touch of nutmeg. Let the apples macerate for at least an hour (I left mine overnight in the fridge with good results). Strain the apples, reserving the liquid. Add a knob of butter to the reserved apple-sugar liquid and boil down untiil syrupy and lightly caramelised. Arrange the apple slices in the now-cooled pastry shells, starting from the outsides of the shells, and layering the apple slices in tighter circles as you get towards the centre. Pour the caramel-syrup over the tarts and let cool. If you transport them, do so very carefully, because there isn't actually much holding the apples in place.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Lexy, they are very pretty!

Today I tested a recipe for a catering job I'm doing in June. I don't have to do all the food (for 150 people) but I will have to make dessert. Lexy, when I saw your apple tarts I actually thought of doing those!

here are the cakes I made today: strawberry/almond/cinnamon cakes. The fruit is baked with the dough, which is equal amounts of sugar, butter, selfraising flour and ground almonds. The cinnamon gives it a lovely and unusual flavor. We just had it for dessert.. Now, will I be able to make 150 of them :shock:

gallery_21505_2929_5115.jpg

Catering job? Go Klary! Those cakes are gorgeous...really beautiful stuff.

Today I had lunch at Andre's, a cafe just downstairs from my apartment. The desserts there are fabulous, though I'm still partial to the croissants. Today's dessert was chocolate mousse cake.

gallery_26775_1880_64695.jpg

Needless to say - I could only eat about half (after cherry soup and weiner schnitzel, I think half is respectable :laugh).

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

gallery_44494_2801_20407.jpg

Ysterday and today ( and probably tomorrow )Sfogliatelle with Lobster tail filling.

Kinda hard to accomplish with no rolling machine for the dough so they are very rustic look.Maybe next investment will be a pasta rolling attachment for my KA :raz: .Hehe we have been muching on them so the filling went little bit everywhere ,oh well they taste good though, a taste I havent had for a while .

Ahh and my PH chocolate dessert arrived today, cant wait to experiment something out of it .

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

Cinnamon sugar cookies--a bit too sweet, but good that way.

Flourless Chocolate cupcakes.

I swear, I should have gotten the user ID KitchenDisaster. Last week when I made the cupcakes, I used too much sugar.

This time? I forgot to add the flour! That's why they are flourless. It's not the original recipe--original recipe contains 1tbsp of flour, which contributes quite a lot to the texture, despite the small amount.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Ysterday and today ( and probably tomorrow )Sfogliatelle with Lobster tail filling.

Kinda hard to accomplish with no rolling machine for the dough so they are very rustic look.Maybe next investment will be a pasta rolling attachment for my KA  :raz: .Hehe we have been muching on them so the filling went little bit everywhere ,oh well they taste good though, a taste I havent had for a while .

Ahh and my  PH chocolate dessert arrived today, cant wait to experiment something out of it .

Those look great Desiderio and I know that they are not easy to make. Almost as good as the ones I had in Italy.

Gorgeous and interesting, Lexy.  So the apple slices aren't actually cooked, only the shells and the syrup?

Hmm, having read your comment, not baking the apples didn't sound quite right so I double-checked the recipe - oops, I was meant to bake them after layering in the apples! That'll teach me to bake by (hazy) memory. That said, I don't think they lost anything by being uncooked - it gave them a firmer bite, although because they had been sliced thinly and macerated they were nowhere near the crunchiness of a raw apple. I'd try baking if I made them again, but to be honest I rather liked them as I (incorrectly) made them.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

vanessa,

i love sfogliatelle but am intimidated by the dough.  yours look great!

p.s. don't apologize for your spelling...i think it is cute to read your posts in "italian/english"!

Hehe thank you :raz:

Vanessa

Kinda hard to accomplish with no rolling machine for the dough so they are very rustic look.Maybe next investment will be a pasta rolling attachment for my KA  :raz: .Hehe we have been muching on them so the filling went little bit everywhere ,oh well they taste good though, a taste I havent had for a while .

Ahh and my  PH chocolate dessert arrived today, cant wait to experiment something out of it .

Those look great Desiderio and I know that they are not easy to make. Almost as good as the ones I had in Italy.

Thank you ,I am sure they are nothing like the one you had in Italy :raz: ,but its a start , the only thing is that you really need a long work surface or a rolling machine ,welll we do what we can right ? :smile:

Vanessa

Last night one son wanted lemon squares and one wanted mixed-berry shortcakes. To try to please everyone, I made shortcake biscuits and served them split and filled with fresh lemon curd and lightly mascerated berries. It would have been even nicer with a dollop of whipped cream, but nobody complained!

I went to a luau party today! I made a coconut cream cake (coconut cream filling recipe based loosely on the Peninsula Grill cake) with lemon buttermilk layers, lemon cream cheese frosting, mango gelee, and brittle pieces.

Also had a slice of cassava cake, some gingerbread, and a cream puff at the party.

When I got home, I had a bowl of the leftover coconut cream filling...I made extra today, just so I could have more even though the cake is gone! :biggrin:

I don't normally bake during term time since the oven in my residence kitchen is pretty dodgy, but I made some apple tartlets this morning because this afternoon my team competes in qualifying race heats, and I thought we'd probably want a little something for afterwards. :smile:

gallery_22182_2693_168795.jpg

they really are, wow I think I know what I am having in the morning for breakfast...

Michael

My wonderful husband made Basil icecream for dessert tonight. if I hadn't done it already, I'd marry him for this one - it's SO lush!

Lexy those apple tarts are an inspiration!

And Desiderio's lobster tails make me think of my favorite pastry shop in Positano :rolleyes:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I've been doing a bunch of bite-sized desserts using my little tart pans. Actually I don't know if they are supposed to be tart pans or petite brioche pans, but they work fine as tart pans regardless.

Little financiers:

gallery_23736_355_2861.jpg

Lemon cream tartlets:

gallery_23736_355_2663.jpg

Milk chocolate ganache tarts with dark caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt:

gallery_23736_355_16720.jpg

Mini lemon meringue pies:

gallery_23736_355_13670.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I've been doing a bunch of bite-sized desserts using my little tart pans. Actually I don't know if they are supposed to be tart pans or petite brioche pans, but they work fine as tart pans regardless.

Little financiers:

gallery_23736_355_2861.jpg

Lemon cream tartlets:

gallery_23736_355_2663.jpg

Milk chocolate ganache tarts with dark caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt:

gallery_23736_355_16720.jpg

Mini lemon meringue pies:

gallery_23736_355_13670.jpg

Oh I love mini tarts,those are sooo beautiful!

Vanessa

My wonderful husband made Basil icecream for dessert tonight.  if I hadn't done it already, I'd marry him for this one - it's SO lush!

Lexy those apple tarts are an inspiration! 

And Desiderio's lobster tails make me think of my favorite pastry shop in Positano  :rolleyes:

Ahhh Eden you are honoring me !! I wish they were even close to something coming out of Campania :raz:

I can understand ,want to marry someone that can make Basil ice cream!!!!!!!!Lucky Girl :wink:

Vanessa