• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Great photos, Patrick! Could you tell us more about the Halsey tart?

Sure. The recipe is from Sherry Yard's book, The Secrets of Baking. Well, sorta -- the recipe and the photo in the book portray two different assemblies, and I assembled according to the photo. From top to bottom you have a chocolate short dough, a whipped caramel cream made with Yard's caramel sauce, a chocolate glaze, and a vanilla tuile garnish.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Patrick - where are the Citrus Bars from and are they that much better for having the cream cheese icing?

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Patrick - where are the Citrus Bars from and are they that much better for having the cream cheese icing?

The citrus bars are from the book Celebrate with Chocolate. They are flavored with lemon juice, orange zest, and lime zest. I deviated from the recipe by using the crust from CI's lemon bars, and leaving the lemon balm out of white chocolate cream cheese icing. These are my favorite as far as lemon/citrus bars go (these are lemon+), but let me warn you in advance that many people would probably find them too sweet. I also love the icing.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Last night, with barely anything sweet in the house and working on a deadline, a craving for dessert hit. So while some might consider it sacrilege, a tortilla got slathered with nutella, folded in half, and fried up in a pan. Delicious!

And then I still ate some more nutella straight out of the jar. :biggrin:

Edited by Nina C. (log)

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Last night, with barely anything sweet in the house and working on a deadline, a craving for dessert hit.  So while some might consider it sacrilege, a tortilla got slathered with nutella, folded in half, and fried up in a pan. Delicious!

And then I still ate some more nutella straight out of the jar.  :biggrin:

I've done the tortilla and Nutella thing before, but I crisp up the Nutella in the pan first, with lots of butter. Also good with cinnamon and sugar.

And Nutella from the jar is almost a daily thing for me. :wink:

I've embarked on bread baking for the first time this week, and have been eating ciabatta for dessert.  Does that count?  :wink:

Ferran Adria has a dessert "recipe" where he melts dark chocolate and olive oil over bread, and I think he adds a sprinkle of fleur de sel or something on top too. I've tried the combo, and it's good.

Tonight, for my son's birthday, it's going to be

gallery_16307_2558_29727.jpg

He wanted very little dairy for himself, gluten-free for one guest, and no nuts for another. Grrr! This is a lemon chess tart on a gluten-free gingersnap crust.

Patrick, your layers are always so perfectly level. How the heck do you do that? And that translucent caramel?

I've embarked on bread baking for the first time this week, and have been eating ciabatta for dessert.  Does that count?   :wink:

Ferran Adria has a dessert "recipe" where he melts dark chocolate and olive oil over bread, and I think he adds a sprinkle of fleur de sel or something on top too. I've tried the combo, and it's good.

One of the very best picnics a friend ever brought me on was a bread, cheese and chocolate picnic. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Great photos, Patrick! Could you tell us more about the Halsey tart?

Sure. The recipe is from Sherry Yard's book, The Secrets of Baking. Well, sorta -- the recipe and the photo in the book portray two different assemblies, and I assembled according to the photo. From top to bottom you have a chocolate short dough, a whipped caramel cream made with Yard's caramel sauce, a chocolate glaze, and a vanilla tuile garnish.

I saw an equally pretty one on Kuidaore just a few days ago. Seems that the Tart is named for a retired chocolatier who worked at Mars.

I'm drooling over the brownies.

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

gfron1, that is a beautiful flower!  Will you tell us more about how you made it?

I adapted Pierre Herme's Dried Pineapple recipe from the Gourmandise (p. 49 of Desserts by Pierre Herme). 1/8" thick cut pineapple slice dried in paper towels, then dusted with confectioner's sugar on both sides. In preheated oven (200 F) dust the sugar on a baking sheet and weight with another baking sheet on top. Bake for about 1 hour.

The flowers were a fortunate rescue of a mistake. My pineapple slices stuck to the pan because I didn't dry them out enough. So as they were disfigured when I tried to remove them, I had the idea to push the center into a shot glass. The result is actually better than the picture - I have a new camera that I haven't figured out yet.

Inspired by the "What's for Dinner?" and "Breakfast -- The most important meal of the day" threads in the "Cooking" forum, I ask you...

What are you cooking for dessert for yourself?

I just pulled a strawberry/blackberry crisp out of the oven.  Cinnamon, brown sugar, and St. Brendan's Irish Creme was mixed in with the fruit.  The crisp topping contains a buncha butter, brown sugar, toasted coconut flakes, flour, and rolled oats.

Smells amazing.  I'm about to go try it now that's it's cooled down a bit.

I made Fondant a la Creme de Marrons et au Chocolat with the addition of 70ml of kaluha and 1 T instant espresso. It is incredible. What I would call a sophisticated dessert if served with a little whipped cream. woods

Patrick,  I keep coming back to look at your photos.  Shouldn't do that so early in the morning.  I'll be craving chocolate all day now.    Could you please tell me where I can find the Caramel Brownie recipe?

Thanks,

Ann

Ann, I'll PM the recipe to you. I would post it here, but it would be a pain to rewrite the whole thing in a copyright-friendly way.