• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Thanks to inspiration from Alinka and Pille, I made pashka, as well as Osterfladen, and capirotada for Easter dessert.  Click here.

I need to get my camera surgically attached to my hand.  When you don't have that bite shot, it all seems like wasted effort!

Abra - your capirotada looks delicious! I had a slightly different camera disaster last weekend. Made a very nice fish dish a la Rick Stein, and then realised that my camera battery is flat. Finished my dish before the camera was working again. How annoying! :angry:

For the dessert last night I made Nigella's cherry chocolate cupcakes with a slightly different frosting. Just had another one for lunch :rolleyes:

KIRSISOKOMUFFIN.jpg

MamaC thanks for posting your recipe for Cozonac. The recipe I used for the Croissants is Julie Child's recipe. It is in her Baking with Julia Cook book. And it is posted on a number of websites like this one..

I used the other half of the recipe to make Chocolate Croissants today. It was worth making this recipe to just to have these.

65303585-M.jpg

Here are some pictures from a dessert party I did (a few months ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting...). The idea was to do a multi-course meal, but in dessert form. Nothing that fancy, but it was delicious and my guests enjoyed it, though some were barely able to handle that much sweet food all at once. I'm sorry the pictures are so terrible! I was too busy cooking to take many pictures...

Soup: Chilled Strawberry Soup with Mint Cream and Vanilla Phyllo Crisps.

gallery_26574_2814_35541.jpg

Salad: Mango and Melon Salad with Toasted Coconut, Spicy Sauce, and Pistachios

gallery_26574_2814_100087.jpg

Hot Appetizer: Raspberry and dark chocolate filled wontons with ginger caramel dipping sauce.

gallery_26574_2814_60754.jpg

Cold(ish) Appetizer: Peach-rhubarb tart with peach-raspberry coulis and vanilla ice cream (homemade)

gallery_26574_2814_37202.jpg

Entree: A version of Pierre Herme's Plaisir Sucre, obviously very modified.

gallery_26574_2814_8749.jpg

Finish: Homemade white chocolate custard and cocoa nib ice creams with walnut pralines, blackberry coulis, and raspberries.

gallery_26574_2814_143560.jpg

Party favors: Lemon-chocolate caramels (not pictured because they were ugly), lemon tartlets with blueberries, and Tres Hermanos truffles (filled with almond gianduja and three caramelized hazelnuts, hence the name, dipped in Valrhona Manjari, topped with Fleur de Sel, then dipped again and sprinkled with the silver powder stuff), in little Chinese takeout boxes.

gallery_26574_2814_69859.jpggallery_26574_2814_9207.jpg

I apologize again for the quality of the pictures...And for the dishes-we just didn't have enough plates to feed twenty people, so it was all plasticware except for the entree.

gallery_26574_2814_69859.jpg

Such a cute idea for transporting desserts!

I baked a large Greek Easter bread tsoureki for my Greek ex-beau, because he asked so nicely :biggrin: It smelled lovely - must have been the mastic and mechlebe. I made a small tsoureki-bun for myself to try, as the tsoureki itself was flown over to Amsterdam..

EGtsoureki.jpg

Tsoureki.... You should have made one for yourself too, they are wonderful! And toasted in the morning, with entirely too much butter...even better. I used to make it fairly regularly as a "special occasion" bread for breakfast.

Here's another recipe, a bit (!) richer:

2 packets of yeast

225 gr butter

1 1/2 c sugar

1/2 t salt

1 c hot milk

6 well-beaten eggs, room temp

1+ kilo flour

mahlep

egg yolk mixed with a little water to brush tops

sesame or slivered almonds if you want

Preheat oven to 200C

Melt butter in milk, add sugar and salt, when lukewarm add yeast, mix well, add eggs. Mix into flour to make a somewhat soft dough, add mahlep, knead well, around 15 minutes. Put in a buttered bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rise in a not-too-warm place (if it's too hot, you will get a sourish flavor from the yeast). When it's doubled, punch it down, divide into three pieces, form into balls and let rest 10 minutes or so. Roll into long pieces and braid. If you want you can turn the whole braid into a circle and put a red egg in the middle for easter but I usually just do a straight braid. Brush with water/egg yolk and sprinkle with almonds or sesame. Let rise once more, put in oven on greased pan and bake for around 40 minutes till done.

Some people like anise instead of mahlep, or orange peel, but for me mahlep is the best...

Edited by sazji (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Two desserts for a friend's 60th...

A tropical daquoise...

DaqTrop.jpg

This was Pierre Herme's coconut daquoise topped with Mamster's Coconut Panna Cotta, another layer of the daquoise, covered in rum carmelized bananas and a traditional meringue, with a candied kumquat.

And a chocolate cake...

choc2.jpg

choc1.jpg

Two layers of Pierre Herme's Cocoa Cake, layered with his Chocolate Pastry Cream, and then enrobed in a chocolate bavaroise, finished with dulce de leche and PH's chocolate macaroons.

The chocolate cake was eaten before any of the other 7 cakes were even cut :biggrin:

^I love your ideas for both desserts, gfron1! :smile:

On Thursday night, I got this from the pastry chef at Mistral in Seattle! (Plating job by hhlodesign :wink: ) I loved the idea of using the oven-dried carrot strip as a crispy element/garnish. The fennel brittle was so good, and the carrot cake was moist and delicious!

133030474_7a2234e82a.jpg

I had two rather forgettable desserts at Christina's on Orcas Island, which is a bit disappointing considering the meal and the waterfront view were both lovely.

Here's their flourless chocolate torte (I got this because I've heard good things about Schokinag, but don't remember trying it before.) The cake was overbaked and rather dry...not sure if this is supposed to be "molten" chocolate cake as there was only a tiny bite of underbaked cake in the center...

133562271_7b554bc43a.jpg

I had most of my date's dessert too...not that it was that great. The shortbread was good. The flavours of the sorbets--chocolate (too much booze), orange (horrid! Like orange-flavoured ice crystals!), and the apple-pear cider (the best of the three, but still icy) didn't work together.

133561954_c601991fd8.jpg

I expect a little better at $7.50US per dessert.

Edited by Ling (log)

Two layers of Pierre Herme's Cocoa Cake, layered with his Chocolate Pastry Cream, and then enrobed in a chocolate bavaroise,

Would you happen to have recipes for the cocoa cake and pastry cream (or maybe direct me to where I might find them?).

Sounds and looks delish!!

Shaloop, if you go to Amazon, I believe it is one of the Look Inside Me pages.

Oh... that's good sleuthing! If you still need it from me, let me know and I'll start typing...PH's recipes tend to be on the wordy side. It did come from Pierre Herme's Chocolate Desserts authored by Dorie Greenspan.

I see the Apricot and Ginger Loaf cafe and the Suzy's Cake, but I don't see the cocoa cake or the pastry cream.

I see the Apricot and Ginger Loaf cafe and the Suzy's Cake, but I don't see the cocoa cake or the pastry cream.

Oh man, looking at the pics in that book makes me salivate!

I didn't see it there either (they may randomly show pages). I'll get them to you...but I'm a believer in giving the author their due (my spouse is an author) so seriously consider getting this book - super stuff.

Oh man, looking at the pics in that book makes me salivate!

I didn't see it there either (they may randomly show pages). I'll get them to you...but I'm a believer in giving the author their due (my spouse is an author) so seriously consider getting this book - super stuff.

Agreed -- and only $15 at ecookbooks.com at the moment... Well worth the price to have all the goodies inside!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

A double batch of Korova dough. :blush:

One of the batches is supposed to be for my bf.

Hey, if he's worth keeping, he won't bat an eyelid. :biggrin:

Cheesecake for me. At breakfast, no less.

He's worth keeping. A dessert tasting at Mistral followed by desserts from the Barking Frog on our first date? WORTH KEEPING. :biggrin:

Cheesecake for breakfast! You do me proud! I had prime rib (leftovers) and peanut butter cookie dough for breakfast. :raz:

A double batch of Korova dough. :blush:

One of the batches is supposed to be for my bf.

Hey, if he's worth keeping, he won't bat an eyelid. :biggrin:

Cheesecake for me. At breakfast, no less.

He's worth keeping. A dessert tasting at Mistral followed by desserts from the Barking Frog on our first date? WORTH KEEPING. :biggrin:

Cheesecake for breakfast! You do me proud! I had prime rib (leftovers) and peanut butter cookie dough for breakfast. :raz:

I actually planned to have chocolate cake and brownies for breakfast.

But then I woke late, so had to run out the house without cake or brownies. :sad:

There is, of course, always tomorrow. :wink:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

So now this has become the "What dessert did you have for breakfast" thread :blink:

I had chocolate pastry cream straight out of the pastry bag for breakfast - squirted right into my mouth. I'm now in the scientific stage of finding out how long it will last before it makes me sick (I made it on Friday).

I haven't done anything very new or exciting lately, just a few things for easter.

Caramel Brownies

gallery_23736_355_21102.jpg

Banana Cake with Vanilla Mousseline Buttercream

gallery_23736_355_2153.jpg

Halsey Tart

gallery_23736_355_10171.jpg

Citrus Bars with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing

gallery_23736_355_26638.jpg

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh