• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

The recent pics have been beautiful! I haven't taken any pictures recently as I've only been baking brownies and peanut butter cookies, and you have all seen those before. I also had the CI chocolate class with the kids in my cooking/baking class and posted pictures in the chocolate cake thread.  :smile:

However, this week I'm making the Pierre Herme Black Forest cake and will be sure to get a picture.

Did you get any pictures of the desserts you've been serving at Rare?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Here is a picture of the orange pecan pie.. We used candied orange peels and orange zest.. Tons of Karo Syrup and a little bit of bourbon.. I brought it for Thanksgiving and it was eaten for lunch before dinner.. It never made it to the table..

Very good

gallery_15057_2056_128218.jpg

not that i'm hungrily cruising old posts or anything..... but how was this pecan pie? i tried a nytimes recipe a few years back that used boiled-down cider for the syrup, and i was all excited for something tangy to cut the sweetness, but it ended up tasting unwelcomingly sour. if this combo worked, i would love the details.

Yesterday, I made:

-PH's cocoa cake

-a mocha butter cake

-a coffee chiffon cake

I ate the levelled top of the cocoa cake, and 2 slices of the mocha cake with Nutella (the cake itself was quite dense so spreading the Nutella was not really a problem.) The cocoa cake was good too--dark and dense. It's in the freezer right now. Can't wait to assemble the Black Forest cake tomorrow!

ETA: Oops, forgot about the three peanut butter cookies and the truffles (generic ones from that square box you get at Costco.)

Today, with my kiddie cooking class, we are making oatmeal raisin cookies for dessert. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

Tonight I'm having eclairs filled with coffee-infused pastry cream, and glazed with some of valrhona 61% glaze I had in the freezer.

gallery_23736_355_14805.jpg

gallery_23736_355_20450.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I was all prepared for a great pic of a great dessert...but then disaster!

Tonight I'm serving Chambord soaked genois topped with candied kumquat cremoix, topped with a second layer of soaked genois, and finally topped with Julia Child's lemon chiffon, adorned with a sliver of candied kumquat. It was all supposed to be wrapped in a white chocolate robe, but I must have used too much inverted sugar and it didn't work. Delicious, just not as pretty as I had hoped. On the side I had Hermes orange Tuille formed into a cup with a fresh kumquat.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Are the eclairs from the PH book, Patrick? I was thinking about doing eclairs or cream puffs with my kiddie cooking class next week. I think they'll have fun making them. :smile:

Yesterday I had truffles and strawberry cheesecake (NY style).

Today I had truffles and Golden Oreos. :unsure: The Golden Oreos weren't great.

ETA: half a box of these really good Chinese eggroll cookies called "The Original Eggroll". :rolleyes: And some pineapple "cake" (an Asian cookie that's kind of soft, shortbread-like that encases a pineapple filling).

Edited by Ling (log)

Are the eclairs from the PH book, Patrick?

Well, the glaze is from the book, the pastry cream is based on the one in the book too. The choux is Ong's recipe.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Made the Sicilian Ricotta Cheesecake from Nick M's Great Italian Desserts. Was almost like my grandmother's minus the little peices of candied fruits she used to put in it. I think I may have taken it out a bit too soon, it was a little wet on the top but still tasted really good! Learning as I go....

gallery_39050_2669_334762.jpg

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Yesterday, I made the Chocolate Truffle Souffle cakes from Small Batch Baking. The recipe made 4 cakes in 3 in" ramekins. They looked very pretty and tasted good even though I didn't use very good chocolate. They were very moist.

Today, I'm making lemon cake for March birthdays at work.

Edited by Marmish (log)

a batch of peanut butter cookie dough

Well, almost a batch. I baked about 6 cookies with the remaining dough I didn't eat. :shock:

Also, a nice steaming bowl of green bean and tapioca "tong siu" (err..."sugar water" in Cantonese?) It is basically rock sugar, water, green bean, and tapioca cooked together until the green bean and tapioca are very, very soft. They serve as a thickener for the barely-sweet "soup" dessert.

Tonight I'm having eclairs filled with coffee-infused pastry cream, and glazed with some of valrhona 61% glaze I had in the freezer.

gallery_23736_355_14805.jpg

gallery_23736_355_20450.jpg

Oh man! Now I remember why I never open up this topic!!! :laugh:

Pictures are to die for!! drool drool

If I get granted three wishes, one of them will be for a metabolism like Ling's!!! :rolleyes:

Hi Patrick - That glaze looks gorgeous - and I had no idea you could do one so shiny that was previously frozen. Did you let it come to room-temp, defrost in fridge, heat, or a combo? Thanks, Lani

Hi Patrick - That glaze looks gorgeous - and I had no idea you could do one so shiny that was previously frozen. Did you let it come to room-temp, defrost in fridge, heat, or a combo? Thanks, Lani

I took a few ounces of the glaze stright from the freezer, cut it into small cubes, and warmed it gently in a double-boiler. Except for a few tiny bubbles, the glaze looks as good as it did when I first made it.

^Good batter too, eh May? :wink:

Today I'm baking sticky toffee pudding with my kiddie cooking class. I'm also making another Tarte Grenobloise and chocolate mousse-filled cream puffs for this awesome "Chocolate Soiree" I'm attending. The host sent me this:

We'll have a bunch of rare and top-class chocolates for tasting (Amedei, Domori, El Ray, Guido Gobbino, Valrhona, etc.), truffles and filled chocolates from New York, Chicago, Montreal, and Vancouver (Marcolini, Christopher Norman, Vosges, Chocolats Genevieve Grandbois, Sweet Obsessions), petit fours from Ganache Patisserie, and a couple of chocolate fountains (milk and dark). Themis, from Chocoatl, will be on hand with his own chocolates to preside over a tasting and discuss the different cocoas, etc.

I just finished making my ice cream (one Valhrona dark with El Rey Ioca white chocolate chips, the other a Callebeau milk with Scharffen Berger dark chocolate covered cocoa nibs).

I am soooooo excited! :biggrin:

Edited by Ling (log)

Today my friends Hall and Miles came over to re-create the Lady M Mille Crepes cake. We had such a blast...

gallery_26775_1623_9094.jpg

...slicing...

gallery_26775_1623_2327.jpg

...and eating.

gallery_26775_1623_1108.jpg

We didn't find Hesser's recipe to be terribly user-friendly; for instance, you should probably chill the cake again after bruleeing the top, as the first layer of cream became oozy and gooey, which you don't want. But overall, oh my goodness. SO GOOD. And really close to the real thing.

I'll post my adaptation of Hesser's recipe shortly!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Awesome! It looks delicious! Your success definately encourages me to try this sometime soon.

I hope this spawns a dedicated Mille Crepes Thread. I think someone else tried a chocolate version somewhere else in the P&B forum.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

gallery_21184_2702_100284.jpg

A Crooked Cake I helped a girlfriend make for her daughter's 5th birthday. It wasn't quite finished here. We also made "candles" out of white chocolate tinted pink with yellow white chocolate "flames" and they were mounted on each of the rosettes you can see. About 26 of them so each child got a candle. This is from a book Ruth often recommends called "The Whimsical Bakehouse". An awesome book of cake ideas for those of us who are amateurs at decorating.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Patrick - stunning-looking eclairs, I think these were always my pick at patisseries growing up in Montreal - haven't seen any real eclairs since moving to Halifax though. I have had them on my "list" to make one day - would you say they are a high difficulty level pastry to make? Also how many days-long is the whole process?

Ling, what gorgeous desserts, wow.

Megan, bravo! Beautiful!

Edited by Shaya (log)