• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Yesterday, I had this for dessert:

Mmmm...dense, rich warm brownie with chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, a "wave" of white chocolate, and billows of whipped cream topped with a sugar cookie surfer. The brownie was rich and chocolatey and the caramel sauce had a wonderful, deep almost burnt sugar flavor. And it made me giggle a little every time I looked at it  :laugh:.

From the background it looks like you had this at home. Did you make it?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

From the background it looks like you had this at home. Did you make it?

No - I had this at a restaurant (Buster's Beach House)with a group of fellow knitters, hence the ball of yarn in the background :laugh:.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Yesterday, I had this for dessert:

gallery_28661_3_78667.jpg

Mmmm...dense, rich warm brownie with chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, a "wave" of white chocolate, and billows of whipped cream topped with a sugar cookie surfer. The brownie was rich and chocolatey and the caramel sauce had a wonderful, deep almost burnt sugar flavor. And it made me giggle a little every time I looked at it  :laugh:.

This also gave me a giggle....thank you.....very clever. Sometimes we take ourselves too seriously so it was fun to see someone having some fun with their pastry. I know sometimes I just die trying to get it right.

Samasutra :biggrin:

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

^That cake is GORGEOUS! Wow!  :wub:

Ditto that! Ruth, that's awesome, a true work of art.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Hey, Ling, are you baking professionally now?  I knew you couldn't hold out for long!

Yes, I'm helping out in a professional kitchen AND I'm holding onto my regular job. So I help out at Rare One whenever possible. :smile:

The chefs asked me to come in yesterday to help them plan out the dessert menus, which will be printed up at the end of the week. Chef Fowke wants four desserts and he divided them into a) fruit-based b) dairy (including 'soft' eggy desserts like souffles) c) chocolate d) classic/fun/show-stopper

This is what we came up with:

a) banana crepes with lime, Chantilly cream (the banana crepes were my suggestion, Chef Fowke suggested the lime, and Chef Quang suggested the Chantilly cream...hee hee! I'm not sure about the banana/lime combo as I haven't had it before and can't really "taste" it in my mind...but we'll see today!)

b) blood orange foam panna cotta foam piped into madelaine (these shell-shaped French cookies), with chocolate fondue (this was the two chef's idea and I think it's super cool to have cream-filled madelaine!)

c) This is MY dessert--they are letting me do whatever I want! :biggrin: ...I am going to run a chocolate and black sesame sable with Michel Cluizel ganache, shards of black sesame brittle (anchored into the side of the ganache tart to provide height and dimension) with cardamom cream.

d) This one I really had to kind of persuade Chef Fowke that it would work....I wanted a beet and dark chocolate dessert and he thought it was a strange combination until I said I had a beet chocolate truffle in Seattle that was amazing. And also I showed him a beet ice-cream with chocolate cake from The French Laundry cookbook and he was sold! :biggrin: He is planning to do a beet ice-cream bombe with chocolate cake and toasted brioche crumbs. Mmm...this will be this month's show-stopper dessert.

I think we are also making goat milk caramel tomorrow. Originally, I wanted to serve the goat milk caramel with my dark chocolate tart, but then I thought there were too many flavours going on and the goat milk caramel is kind of tangy so I wanted to save that for another dessert.

Anyway, I'm off to Rare One and the four desserts above are part of what I'll be eating for dessert today. :wink:

Go Ling!!! That's awesome...I also love the idea of a cream-filled madeleine...Speaking of which, guess what I made for dessert last night? :wink:

gallery_26775_1623_2719.jpg

I'm in a madeleine rut, but it hurts so good, I don't want out! :laugh:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Ling, your new project sounds amazing, and I'm BEYOND jealous!!  Please keep us posted -- maybe this calls for a blog where you can record pix and results of your creations?!

Yes - a "Ling Goes Pro" thread! :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

My kitchen is a bit defunct this week owing to absence of both electricity and water :?/ hopefully to be taken care of within a couple days, so I'm going for vicarious thrills today. But what beautiful stuff today! The flowered cake especially was so beautifully done, I hope your grandmother appreciated it as much as we did!

And congratulations Ling! (Mentally tasting lime and banana is somehow easier for me than beets and chocolate...gonna have to work on that one...hmmm...mmm..mm?.....um....:)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I had good old fashioned trifle tonight, made from all the things in my freezer that were thawed due to the door being open all night.

I always buy jellyroll when I find it reduced and stale, perfect for trifle. My thawed freezer contained 3 jelly rolls and a bag of thawed raspberries. So my husband and I, my brother and his wife, my nephew and my father are all eating trifle in their respective homes.

Tomorrow everyone gets lemon bread pudding made from the 3 loaves of thawed challah.

Not to mention all the meat that everyone is eating over the next couple of days.

Gotta say, it's kind of a treat to eat trifle when it's not a holiday.

Those sound great, Ling! I can "taste" the banana and lime if there's ginger involved, like a ginger syrup or something. Or alternatively, the crepes and banana with your cajeta and maybe a little mango in there somewhere, like a mango creme instead of the Chantilly. The very idea of black sesame and cardamom makes me faint. I just bought black sesame paste today to make that cheeszecake. Yum!

Pille, what are the petals on that flower on your brulee? The center looks like kumquat, but I can't see what the petals are. I'm assuming that even though it looks like artichoke, it really isn't. Now that would be truly weird!

Those sound great, Ling!  I can "taste" the banana and lime if there's ginger involved, like a ginger syrup or something.  Or alternatively, the crepes and banana with your cajeta and maybe a little mango in there somewhere, like a mango creme instead of the Chantilly.  The very idea of black sesame and cardamom makes me faint.  I just bought black sesame paste today to make that cheeszecake.  Yum!

Pille, what are the petals on that flower on your brulee?  The center looks like kumquat, but I can't see what the petals are.  I'm assuming that even though it looks like artichoke, it really isn't.  Now that would be truly weird!

I think it is a cape gooseberry the middle is the fruit and the petals are the thin membrane encasing the fruit

Pille, what are the petals on that flower on your brulee?  The center looks like kumquat, but I can't see what the petals are.  I'm assuming that even though it looks like artichoke, it really isn't.  Now that would be truly weird!

I think it is a cape gooseberry the middle is the fruit and the petals are the thin membrane encasing the fruit

Hi Abra - Arghavan is right, it was a cape gooseberry. My friend had never seen it before and popped the whole thing into his mouth before I managed to say that the membrane is not supposed to be eaten :rolleyes:

Megan - I like the look of your glossy madeleines!!!

Thanks, Pille! I bake them a bit longer than I probably should, because I just love that slightly crispy, light crust. Ooooh, baby.

Interesting about the banana creme brulee...sounds tasty. Can you imagine it with lime? :wink:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan