• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Um....Ling's Caramel Apple Pie, again. :biggrin: But this time it turned out better, because I had flour (how's that for a concept) and I actually had [the equivalent of] shortening. All we can buy here is a saltless/flavorless margarine called Hüner that is "especially for pastries" but it's stil 30% water and makes "dumb" piecrusts. So finally it dawned on me to make clarified margarine. It made a very good piecrust.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

OK.  Dumb question.  Arent pomegranite seeds mainly just a big seed with a little flesh on it?  I remember having them when I was little.  I liked the taste, but didn't like eating them because there seemed to be more seed than flesh.  Am I correct?  They are pretty, and tasty, but I just don't think I'd enjoy having pomegranite seeds in a dessert.  Are you supposed to eat them, or are they just for presentation?

No, they are very small seeds with more juicy flesh than seed. When I was a kid, I used to put a whole bunch of pomegranate seeds in my mouth at once, chew and shallow the delicous juice, then spit the seeds and tough bits into the garbage...but I've since learned that it's ALL edible!

They are often used in salads as well as desserts.

OK.  Dumb question.  Arent pomegranite seeds mainly just a big seed with a little flesh on it?  I remember having them when I was little.  I liked the taste, but didn't like eating them because there seemed to be more seed than flesh.  Am I correct?  They are pretty, and tasty, but I just don't think I'd enjoy having pomegranite seeds in a dessert.  Are you supposed to eat them, or are they just for presentation?

No, they are very small seeds with more juicy flesh than seed. When I was a kid, I used to put a whole bunch of pomegranate seeds in my mouth at once, chew and shallow the delicous juice, then spit the seeds and tough bits into the garbage...but I've since learned that it's ALL edible!

They are often used in salads as well as desserts.

As I remember, they were about the size of dried corn kernels, right? I, also, would chew it, then spit out the hard seed in the middle. So the hard part is edible too? I'm asking because I haven't had them as an adult. Although I loved the flavor, I hated eating them. Maybe I'll try one again just to see what I think, lol.

Last night we had white cake with a cocoa swirl, dark chocolate glaze drizzled over the top, sour cream sweetened with brown sugar and blackberries. It was my mother in law's birthday, so her slice was adorned with a birthay candle :biggrin:. The leftover cake is proving to be delicious breakfast fodder.

jcake.jpg

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

So the hard part is edible too?  I'm asking because I haven't had them as an adult.  Although I loved the flavor, I hated eating them.  Maybe I'll try one again just to see what I think, lol.

I think it's a personal preference issue. I prefer to spit out the seeds as the seed to juice ratio is a little high. The seeds are certainly edible, but whether it is worth it is up to your personal preference. I love the juice, but not the seeds.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

^ Also some pomegranate seeds are smaller and easier to crunch and swallow. I like them, but many people spit them out. I think it would be hard to spit them out at a restaurant without appearing rude! :biggrin:

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

^Yeah, I prefer to spit them out in the comfort and privacy of my kitchen, but I would eat them whole if they were part of a salad at a restaurant.

Not that I ever eat salad--ESPECIALLY at a restaurant, when there are things like foie gras and short ribs on the menu! :laugh:

Today I had the levelled top of an almost flourless chocolate cake (very good, very dense). It's the base for a chocolate mousse cake I'll be making tomorrow morning. And OK, the cake didn't really need to be levelled since it rose really evenly. I just wanted some cake. :wink:

After dinner, I toasted some raisin bread and covered it with that same goat milk caramel I was eating yesterday. Damn. I'm in heaven. :wub: Now I'm eating a Coffee Crisp. (It's my favourite chocolate bar.) :raz:

What's in that dessert, Melange?

vkn, that carrot halwa looks great! When it's really well-made, that's one of my favorite desserts.

Awesome work, everyone; I'm just continually amazed by the beauty and allure of all the desserts displayed in this thread!

Michael aka "Pan"

Um....Ling's Caramel Apple Pie, again.  :biggrin:  But this time it turned out better, because I had flour (how's that for a concept) and I actually had [the equivalent of] shortening.  All we can buy here is a saltless/flavorless margarine called Hüner that is "especially for pastries" but it's stil 30% water and makes "dumb" piecrusts.  So finally it dawned on me to make clarified margarine. It made a very good piecrust.

YAY! Glad you like the recipe! Do you use the Fuji and Granny Smith apples I specified, or are those apples difficult to find in Turkey?

Blueberry cheesecake with a graham cracker crust. This was my first cheesecake and I'm very happy with the results. I double-wrapped the springform pan with foil so there weren't any leaks and the cake didn't crack. But that really wouldn't have mattered much since I covered the top with a blueberry sauce (16 oz. frozen/thawed blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice). And once I saw that Philly cream-cheese was on sale (10 for $10) I just knew I had to try my hand at one of my husbands favorite desserts...but certainly not one of mine. :rolleyes: I'm one of those kitchen-breeds that usually favors the research and process of cooking instead of the actual consumption. But I know a darn tasty cheesecake when a forkful finds it's way into my mouth! And the spouse was mighty impressed. :wub:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

YAY! Glad you like the recipe! Do you use the Fuji and Granny Smith apples I specified, or are those apples difficult to find in Turkey?

Hehe not just me...my non-cooking friend now wants a lesson in pie-making. ;)

Granny Smith we can get though they are a bit expensive. No fujis in Turkey (or if they are brought to some chi-chi grocery in an upscale part of town they would be unaffordable anyway...). I just used pure Granny Smith and it was wonderful.

All hail Ling, Queen of Caloria! :biggrin:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

What's in that dessert, Melange?

vkn, that carrot halwa looks great! When it's really well-made, that's one of my favorite desserts.

Awesome work, everyone; I'm just continually amazed by the beauty and allure of all the desserts displayed in this thread!

It is a classic Breton pastry; a basic laminated dough with lots of butter and layers of caster sugar. The secret is using the highest quality salted butter you can find.

Formerly known as "Melange"

I just have to say that I love this thread. I get on the computer first thing in the morning (after getting 6yo son off to school) with my morning hot beverage (tea or coffee) and excitedly check to see if any desserts were posted overnight. And when (like today) there are several, :biggrin: well, that just makes my day!!

Edited by shaloop (log)

Wow, the last few pictures have been incredible! :wub:

Here's the mousse cake I made this morning (dark chocolate brownie base, chocolate mousse, chocolate ganache). It's tomorrow's dessert for a potluck party! (I'll post pictures of tonight's dessert later on today...I'm going to West!

mousser.jpg

mcaker.jpg

Ling:

You are outrageous. Ling will rule the world. This thread should be renamed, "Ling's desserts."

A rabid admirer.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Desserts tonight:

VANILLA CHEESECAKE WITH BROWN SUGAR OAT CRUMBLE CRUSHED PINEAPPLE SAUCE AND GRAPEFRUIT ESPUMA

CHOCOLATE BANANA CAKE WITH CINNAMON CHOCOLATE MOUSSE BANANA ICE CREAM

MAPLE ROASTED APPLE WITH BUTTERMILK PAIN PERDU MAPLE WALNUT SAUCE AND APPLE TARRAGON ICE CREAM

Click here for the pictures and comments! :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

I've been making tart shells with some diferent pate sucre recipes, trying to make one that's perfect. Today I filled one with caramelized rice puffs, put some caramel ganache on top of that, and garnished with some more caramelized rice puffs. It was pretty good.

gallery_23736_355_4080.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

^The tart shell looks thin and crisp--just perfect! :smile:

I had so much to eat tonight. I had two huge dinners...one with my family for Chinese New Year, where I made a gingercake for dessert (not traditional) and also ate a variety of New Year pastries (siew hao jo aka "smiling mouth cookies", wintermelon/mochi cakes wrapped in pastry, and lai see candies. I didn't have the 'tong sui' my mom made...not really a fan of the sweet "fu pay" and gingko nut dessert soup.)

Then I went to my friend's potluck where we ate another dinner...dessert was three slices of the chocolate mousse cake I posted upthread, and ice-cream sandwiches. (Yes, someone bought ice-cream sandwiches to the potluck. Actually, I was the only person who made something from scratch. Dinner was chips and dip, crackers and cheese, KFC, and a whole bunch of other junk food.)

:wacko:

...going to crawl into bed now. So full.

Edited by Ling (log)

Peach gelato. Sort of. It had egg yolk, milk, and pureed canned peaches (that is, I pureed the canned peaches) and was cooked. So it counts, right? Right?

I'll take a pic if it turns out well after it's frozen after a round in the ice cream maker. It was kinda too sweet and soft after just being in the ice cream maker.

Maybe the pretty color will show up in my photographs for a change.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

In Vancouver, Chef Neil's gingerbread pudding at the Hamilton Street Grill has quite a dedicated following. He serves it warm, with pumpkin ice-cream and ginger ice-cream.

His recipe is here: HSG gingerbread pudding

I did a take on his dessert by using the fresh ginger and buttermilk cake recipe I entered in Recipe Gullet, and using only whipping cream and 5 yolks for the custard portion. I infused a little bit of fresh ginger in the whipping cream for the caramel, to make a gingered caramel.

gpudding.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)