• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I used Herme's (la patisserie) recipe and nicolekaplans technique. Incredibly happy with the results. The buttercream itself is not flavored, the insides are basted with syrup boiled with ginger and cinnamon.

Does the recipe in la patisserie use Italian meringue?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Bread pudding for two, in a small gratin dish. I sliced off the tops of two of those bought "honey diamond" rolls, cut them to fit, and arranged them tops-up for the pretty of it. We had bought a bag of the purplest, almost-black fresh cherries, so-dark-they-stained-my-fingers, and they were so huge, it took only four to punctuate the gaps between the bread. When I poured in the custard (one egg, one yolk, cup of half-and-half, sugar, vanilla), the cherries bled their burgundy juices, and made the most beautiful lines and swirls.

It turned out to be luscious, sort of a clafudding, I guess...just perfect after our spicy meal of ribs and salad.

sazji, have you ever had muhallebi made with cow rather than buffalo milk?  I'd be interested to know if they taste significantly different from one another.  I've only had it with cow's milk as that's all you can really get here, but it's one of my favorite desserts & I haven't had it in ages....

Yes, I've also made several traditional Turkish puddings (my favorite being keskul) with cow's milk. They are good and well worth making. Buffalo milk is different though; in a way that's hard to really describe. Also getting really *whole* milk in the US is a problem. If you used real whole cow's milk, the result would be a bit yellow; buffalo milk is pure white.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I made a Napoleon with vanilla and Nutella pastry creams. I don't do these very often so I couldnt get it as pretty as I'd like, but it was actually very tasty. Next time I want to try rolling out the puff pastry layers really thin, and then filling them with thin layers of something firmer, like a ganache.

gallery_23736_355_2273.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I have a ton of egg whites I need to use, so I made some caramel souffles. They puffed up a little more than I expected! They were good though.

gallery_23736_355_9315.jpg

gallery_23736_355_2406.jpg

Hi Patrick,

I must confess that I look at this thread often just to see what you've made. Your desserts always look fabulous. I love the sound of the nutella, pastry cream napoleon. Only a perfectionist would comment that his souffles (absolutely beautiful, btw) have risen too much! Anyway, I look forward to your posts, and, perhaps, one day I'll have something worthy of posting.

:biggrin:

I rarely bake as most of my baking ends up looking rather like the dog's dinner but this one turned out so I had to share it.

gallery_6903_111_20835.jpg

It is the Apricot Almond Tart from the Jan. 2006 issue of Gourmet.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I would love to make these!  Can you share the recipe?  Is it from a book?

The recipe is from yard's Secrets of Baking. They're really easy. The recipe from memory:

9 whites, room temp

5 yolks, room temp

1/2C caramel sauce, room temp

1/3C sugar

Pinch cream of tartar

Preheat to 425F

Thoroughly butter and sugar coat about 6-8 ramekins

Whisk yolks into caramel sauce

Beat whites till foamy. Add cream of tartar. Beat to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat to medium-firm peaks.

Fold caramel base into whites.

Fill ramekins. The recipe says fill them to the top, but you may want to fill them only 3/4.

Run a paring knife around the side of the ramekin. This creates an air pocket and allows the souffles to rise more evenly.

Baking 15-20 minutes. Drizzle with caramel sauce, powdered sugar, or anything else that sounds good to you, and serve immediately.

There are so many beautiful dessert photos on this thread!

Went to a "trendy" place in LA with my sister and cousin to taste their famous cupcakes. We weren't really expecting much... but oh my, were they ever good!

The cake itself was super-moist and dense. The tops still maintained that crispy/chewy/shiny texture under the frosting. The frosting was really thick and smooth with a very nice flavor.

Clockwise from top: Red velvet cake w/ cream cheese frosting, Belgian dark chocolate cake w/ fudgy milk chocolate frosting, Madagascar bourbon vanilla cake w/ vanilla frosting, Belgian dark chocolate cake w/ bittersweet chocolate frosting.

gallery_24007_2383_28469.jpg

gallery_24007_2383_21400.jpg

gallery_24007_2383_1758.jpg

Also eaten but not shown: Fragrant orange cake w/ orange-vanilla frosting & Spiced pumpkin cake w/ cinnamon cream cheese frosting

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

Raquel, I think you should name the place, since you praise it so highly.

Sure thing. The place is called SPRINKLES and they specialize in only cupcakes.

It's on Little Santa Monica Blvd. right in the heart of Beverly Hills.

gallery_24007_2383_45689.jpg

raquel

^I think that bakery was featured in this month's Bon Appetit! They were comparing it to Magnolia Bakery in NY. The cupcakes sure look good! Which was your favourite?  :wub:

Thanks for the tip, Ling! I'll have to check out Bon Appetit. I haven't seen this month's yet...

I would say that the only thing in common this place has to Magnolia is that they picked up on the big cupcake trend. I've had the Magnolia cupcakes and (to me) they are different - drier, looser cake texture and a more gritty frosting that hardens on the outside as it dries.

Sprinkles cupcakes are moister - both cake and frosting. And the flavor combinations are more involved, using top-notch ingredients. They do things like Chai Latte or Ginger Lemon.

I tend to like the more simple flavors. My favorites were the Plain Vanilla and Orange flavors. The next time I'm out there I'll have to pick up a bigger box! But at $3.25 a pop, it can get pretty pricey.

raquel

Flourless orange-almond cake. I'll be honest -- I think this cake looks much better than it tastes. The batter uses whole oranges, which are simmered for 2 hours and pureed. The puree is mixed with almond meal, sugar, eggs and baking powder. Recipe

gallery_23736_355_6978.jpg