• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Here's something I just slapped together...doesn't look great. I ate this for breakfast. It's a Valrhona brownie torte with peanut butter frosting.

browniecake.jpg

Love the brownie torte, Ling.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Chocolate-Orange Mousse (from Barefoot in Paris cookbook)

ooh, yeah, I'd been making that recipe over and over during the summer (on its own or as I pie filling) and it's my new standby. I had one recipe from a tattered french cookbook that I'd always used, but the 1/4 c. of grand marnier was very persuasive :raz:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

The Bailey's and white chocolate tart I made actually turned out pretty good. It would have been really great if I had used Lindt white chocolate, which is the only one I really like. I used Callebaut for this one, and though I generally like their chocolate, their white chocolate has a touch of that weird aftertaste. I'll try this again sometime when I have Lindt around, and add in some vanilla bean for good measure.

gallery_23736_355_3787.jpg

gallery_23736_355_16332.jpg

ETA: The sun has apparently abandoned my part of the world, so I have no choice but to use the flash, which generally makes my pics look crappy. :hmmm:

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

The Bailey's and white chocolate tart I made actually turned out pretty good. It would have been really great if I had used Lindt white chocolate, which is the only one I really like. I used Callebaut for this one, and though I generally like their chocolate, their white chocolate has a touch of that weird aftertaste. I'll try this again sometime when I have Lindt around, and add in some vanilla bean for good measure.

ETA: The sun has apparently abandoned my part of the world, so I have no choice but to use the flash, which generally makes my pics look crappy.  :hmmm:

Uhh... doesn't look crappy to me! Looks delish! *drool* We REALLY need a drooly smilie :raz:

ETA: The sun has apparently abandoned my part of the world, so I have no choice but to use the flash, which generally makes my pics look crappy.  :hmmm:

Patrick,

We once had a discussion about Lindt white chocolate not being avalable anymore except with coconut in it. Or was it just the large bar that is no longer available? What size do you get?

The photo looks great, even using flash.

Ilene

Patrick,

We once had a discussion about Lindt white chocolate not being avalable anymore except with coconut in it. Or was it just the large bar that is no longer available? What size do you get?

The photo looks great, even using flash.

There is a market near me that still sells bars that are about 3-3.5ozs. I don't know if its old stock or what, but its the only place I know that sells it. The last time I was there was a few weeks ago, and they still had it.

Here's an out-of-focus picture of the pecan cake I made a few days ago. I'm kind of bummed about the picture...the cake looked pretty nice, but we forgot to take a picture until we had savagely hacked into it already. Anyway, the cake was done using RLB's "Golden Almond cake" in The Cake Bible, but I subbed pecans in for almonds. You can see the two layers of Valrhona Amaretto mousse, then the cream cheese frosting over the entire cake. Dacquoise on top.

pecancake2.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

Almost-flourless mini chocolate cupcakes, with a little crown of caramel-chocolate ganache on top.

gallery_23736_355_21599.jpg

Whoa! That's awesome! Do you get to eat all the treats you make, Patrick?  :smile:

Well, I sample everything I make. But the truth is, I make way more than any one family could or should eat. So I freeze some and give the rest away. You'd flip if you saw how much stuff I accumulate. At one point last week, I had two kinds of ganache, chocolate pastry cream, caramel sauce, vanilla buttercream, 2 kinds of macarons, lemon cake, some tart tatin and a St. Honore in the fridge, and 2 tart doughs, cinnamon dough, pizza dough, lemon cream, and dacquois in the freezer. Its pretty ridiculous. I need someone to come over and help me clear out the fridge from time to time.

Whoa! That's awesome! Do you get to eat all the treats you make, Patrick?  :smile:

Well, I sample everything I make. But the truth is, I make way more than any one family could or should eat. So I freeze some and give the rest away. You'd flip if you saw how much stuff I accumulate. At one point last week, I had two kinds of ganache, chocolate pastry cream, caramel sauce, vanilla buttercream, 2 kinds of macarons, lemon cake, some tart tatin and a St. Honore in the fridge, and 2 tart doughs, cinnamon dough, pizza dough, lemon cream, and dacquois in the freezer. Its pretty ridiculous. I need someone to come over and help me clear out the fridge from time to time.

What's the nearest bus stop???

Edited by Nicolai (log)

^I wish I lived near you, Patrick. Lucky friends and neighbours you have, indeed! :smile:

I baked a gingerbread cake today from the new Best of gingercakes thread. I used this recipe: Gingerbread cake

The lighting is really poor and I realize the whole brown cake/brown chair in the background/brown table/brown placemat thing is kind of...uhm...brown. But it was the only pic I took before my camera died...must buy batteries!

gingerbread.jpg

edit: I decided the dry cake wasn't much of a dessert, so I slathered it with a quick chocolate cream cheese frosting. Much better. :biggrin:

ginger2.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

edit: I decided the dry cake wasn't much of a dessert, so I slathered it with a quick chocolate cream cheese frosting. Much better.  :biggrin:

Oh yeah, chocolate and ginger is a combination that is not nearly common enough. Especially if the ginger is really strong.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I made some pastry cream cookies using Sherry Yard's recipe. Basically this is 1/2C pastry cream, combined with 1/4C each toasted ground almonds and hazelnuts, 2T powdered sugar, 1t dark rum and 1C dry cake crumbs. But instead of cake crumbs, I dried out three minicupcakes, and added them along with about 1T of flour (I just added some bit by bit until the batter was thick enough for cookies). Scoop out onto parchment with a tablespoon sized disher and bake for 12-15 minutes.

gallery_23736_355_7347.jpg

I really envy all the time (and presumably, money!) you have to make all these desserts, Patrick! (Ingredients are pretty pricey for me, anyhow! :wink: ) Can you give us all a quick recap of your favourites...I know you're a fan of PH's macaroons, PH's lemon cream (I didn't like it at first, but it was much better after it sits in the fridge for a bit), the chocolate cake from the "Best of" thread...

Edited by Ling (log)

Well, I sample everything I make. But the truth is, I make way more than any one family could or should eat. So I freeze some and give the rest away. (...) Its pretty ridiculous. I need someone to come over and help me clear out the fridge from time to time.

I think you should start selling them. I would pay for that cupcake.. gladly.

I had a lot of dessert today. :blink:

I had the last of the gingercake with chocolate frosting for breakfast, and then after lunch, I had a caramel-peanut Hedgehog (quite gross). Then a few truffles, followed by a dozen various chocolate cookies. A few bites of apple strudel. A cup of hot chocolate too.

After dinner at Sehnor Rooster's, we had blueberry flambeed tableside, with ice-cream, and caramel flan.

flambe.jpg

blueberry.jpg

flan.jpg

I really envy all the time (and presumably, money!) you have to make all these desserts, Patrick! (Ingredients are pretty pricey for me, anyhow!  :wink: ) Can you give us all a quick recap of your favourites...I know you're a fan of PH's macaroons, PH's lemon cream (I didn't like it at first, but it was much better after it sits in the fridge for a bit), the chocolate cake from the "Best of" thread...

I realize that this sounds crazy, but I have a really hard time saying what my favorites are. So many things can be great if they are just done right. But at their best, yes, those macaroons and that lemon cream are among my favorites.

To close last night's celebration of the Three Kings at our home a ricotta tart and a french chocolate cake served with brandy fruit sauce. The chocolate cake looks just like one in this month's Gourmet Mag.

gallery_38003_2183_165158.jpg

Pictured here one of our guests gobbling hers up.

Ah, the sweet mystery of life.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Cinnamon-Ginger Macarons. Lots of them.

gallery_17945_895_51340.jpg

I realize that this sounds crazy, but I have a really hard time saying what my favorites are. So many things can be great if they are just done right. But at their best, yes, those macaroons and that lemon cream are among my favorites.

That's not crazy at all! Whether music, film or food (especially food) I live by this philosophy. Variety truly is the spice of life. </cliché>

Formerly known as "Melange"