• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

That looks great! What's Hatchez chocolate? The hot chocolate looks dark and thick, just the way I like it!

Oops, I misspelled it. Hachez is a German chocolate company. I was given a few bars of their Cocoa d’Arriba by a friend. Its not my favorite, but its not bad either.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I'm a bit behind but saturday night we had Opera Cake from Dorie Greenspan's Paris Sweets and Spiced Pumpkin Cheese Cake from epicurious.com. Both were delicious. I was especially pleased with the Opera Cake. I've made it twice before using different recipes and neither were anywhere near as good as this was.

I looooooove the opera cake from Paris Sweets. Glad you enjoyed it too!

Yesterday:

I finished off my batch of shortbread, and finished the rest of the chocolate hazelnut cigarette cookies.

Today:

So far it's just been a big milk chocolate almond bar from one of my students. (Came with the Swarovski crystal necklace her parents gave me for Christmas.)

I ate almost a whole batch of shortbread tonight for dinner. And all the leftover ganache used for drizzling. Oh god. Must lie down. For my "appetizer", I had rice krispie treats that I was making for some of my students...warm and gooey out of the pan. I always use extra butter and marshmallows! :smile:

Can you please tell me exactly what that is and how I can get that into my life..

'Tis a cannelle. Any cannelle queries you may are almost certainly answered on this thread.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Oh my, those look deliciious.

For dessert, I had two white-chocolate chip macamadamia nut cookies that some mystery person brought to the office. Of course, some person with a grudge against us could have brought them, so I ate them at a great risk...

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Patrick: That's beautiful--I've only seen one cannele recipe, in Paula Wolfert's book. Which recipe did you use?

I used Wolfert's recipe. But I bake at 375 and on the middle shelf as opposed to 400 on the bottom shelf.

Lemon Chiffon cake with lemon curd and strawberry puree.

This is the first time I've posted to this thread. (Though I read it, drooling, daily.) As much as I LOVE sweets, I don't seem to have Ling's metabolism. :hmmm:

This is actually the first time I've made a chiffon cake (I'm a butter cake type of girl) and it was very good. It's so light it almost seems like it shouldn't be that bad for you. :laugh:

^When are you opening your bakery? I would be first in line! :smile:

I ate whipped up some leftover cream with a shot of Amaretto, and filled a bowl with the cream puffs that were a bit irregularly shaped and one that was too big.

creampuffs.jpg

Also had to clear out my freezer for the hundred or so cream puffs I needed to freeze, so I ate my last two brownies.

Wow, Ling...you are one sugar-lovin' woman! The header on this thread is "What are you having after dinner," but I find myself wondering if anything resembling what the world thinks of as "dinner" has ever been involved... :biggrin: Haven't been to Vancouver in a long time...ah, what I would do for a moon cake right now...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

^Yes. I know. Dessert is my one vice. :wink:

Today I had a pan of soft, marshmallowy rice krispies. (Yes, a pan.)

A box of chocolate cigarette cookies. (Yes, a box).

Brownie batter.

Brownies.

Half a pineapple bun (Chinese sweet pastry bun).

A few bites of pie.

A chocolate Digestive cookie.

I am going to lay down now. And I'm swearing off sugar for the next two or three days or else I won't be able to fit into my clothes for the three big dinners coming up! :wacko:

Sure, I have the recipe memorized. It's from the Five Roses cookbook, but I've made a few changes.

1 cup brewed coffee, cooled

6 eggs separated

1 3/4 cup AP flour

1 tbsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 cup sugar

1 tbsp vanilla

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 tsp cream of tartar

**Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar.

2. Make a well in the center, add in egg yolks, vegetable oil, and brewed coffee.

3. In a separate bowl, add cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat until medium-firm peaks.

4. Beat the flour/egg/oil/coffee mixture until combined. Gently fold in thirds into the whites.

5. Pour batter into an ungreased bundt pan and bake for about 45 minutes at 325 degrees. Turn up the temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for about 10 minuntes more.

6. Invert the cake until cool (but I always just wait for like 10-15 minutes and it pops out no problem, while it's still nice and warm!). Run a knife along the edge of the pan to release.

(Entering it in Recipe Gullet now.)

Edited by Ling (log)

I know I said I wasn't going to eat sweets for a few days upthread...but I caved. What can I say... :wink:

Had a selection of those Belgian chocolate cookies from Kirkland (Costco brand). My favourite has always been the chocolate cigarette cookie and the espresso one that's covered in chocolate. This year, they have a few new selections, like a lime one coated with white chocolate. :smile:

After trying so many other macaron recipes lately I wanted to see if Herme's was still my favorite. It is.

gallery_23736_355_2601.jpg