• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

From the freezer, a piece of pumpkin walnut cheesecake I made for Thanksgiving. I ate it frozen. :biggrin:

gallery_32355_1818_246492.jpg

This was in addition to two donuts, a chocolate chip bagel, and about half a pound of peppermint bark I made for a care package. Don't worry, Ling, I'm not trying to unseat you as the Reigning Queen of Sweets, but I could be a pretty strong contender...

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

OMIGOD.IM.GOING.TO.DIE.

I just got back from a cookie exchange--in addition to all the wonderful savoury nibbles, I ate a good two dozen cookies there...and then I went to my friend's house with the 12 dozen cookies I walked away with, and we parked ourselves in front of the TV and watched "Finding Neverland". Fast forward 2 hours, and I must've put away another two dozen cookies AT LEAST! (She was a more conservative nibbler, so I still have about 9 dozen cookies left.) I also made us wicked hot chocolate with condensed milk + milk (she didn't have half and half), chopped chocolate, and a full cup's worth of Bailey's.

The Tarte Grenobloise was delicious...I also had like six truffles. And an Irish cream kolachy.

My favourite cookies of the evening (although they were all very tasty):

-pecan shortbread

-lime meltaways

-Korova cookies

-blue cheese shortbread

I also had a few pieces of really good cranberry, pistachio and coconut nougat!

I think I've outdone myself....I have a "food baby" that looks at least four or five months along...

...must lay down now. Can't move. Skirt cutting off circulation. Difficulty breathing...*gasp*

Finally! Not that I wish you any ill will Ling, but I was really wondering if you even had a limit. I covet your metabolism. :biggrin:

You all surely must realize that even though Afterburner started it, this is actually Lorna's long-running blog...perhaps we should change the topic title to ..."What Ling had for dessert...any and all may join in, of course" :raz:

I love ya, Lorna :wub:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

^heh heh...

In addition to the dozen and a half or so cookies I had today (I should know better than to post in the afternoon, because that means I wouldn't have included the evening's sweets!) I had some Sparkle cookies (from the famed Thomas Haas) and a slice of sweet potato cheesecake with gingersnap crust baked by a fellow Egulleter! :smile:

Patrick, I definitely have a foot fetish, and those macarons have the most sublime feet!

The lighting of the photo is exquisite. :wub:

Thanks, Yetty. After about a week of dark days, I was lucky enough to have just enough warm sunset light yesterday to get some shots.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Dessert after lunch was cake at work ...cherry filled with an acceptable buttercream...and after dinner I used cream cheese dough to make tartlets filled with pecans apricot jam and drizzled with dark cocolate ganache

also made a few ruggalach same filling

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Mmm... I'm getting back into sorbet making in a serious way. Yesterday was a pomegranate sorbet and, although it was a major pain in the ass... OH MY GOD it was THAT good. About 1/2 an hours work to get 1/2 a cup of juice but the flavour was out of this world. Today is about 2L worth of Cherry sorbet. Others I've made so far have included lime, kiwifruit, apricot, watermelon.

PS: I am a guy.

^Do you have a favourite macaroon recipe, Patrick? I would like to try making them, but I'm horrible with a pastry bag...:blush: (But I guess I won't improve unless I practice, right?)

That's a beautiful picture--there is an incredible lightness but lushness in the way you captured the macaroons on film that must mirror the way they taste. :wub:

Super busy today...I corrected a 20-page essay for a student, then rushed to work and now I'm running out of the house again. No time to bake anything--I've been munching on these Valrhona fevres all day though.

Edited by Ling (log)

^Do you have a favourite macaroon recipe, Patrick?

Herme's still my favorite, even though other recipes give what I think are better looking macaroons.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

So after frying up a duck leg i had fat left in the pan.. Fried popcorn kernals in it, put parsley and salt on the popcorn.. I was thinking of putting a port syrup on top or to dip in. But was lazy..

gallery_15057_2056_32304.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Duck popcorn?! I'm lovin' it. Daniel, you're too much!

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

My man, Daniel, never ceases to amaze!! :cool:

My husband brought home a surprise for me: these pastries from the Airlangga Bakery in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Jakarta.

gallery_11814_1914_10209.jpg

We savored them by candlelight and I'm not tellin' what happened afterwards :wub:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

^

Yes, that's their version of tiramisu on the right and the pastry on the left was a chocolate pouch filled with chocolate mousse and black forest cake components. They were both quite good, but the tiramisu was my personal favorite-- rich and light... swoonful after spoonful.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

For tonight - Disaronno cheese cake - enjoy.

gallery_38003_2166_525887.jpg

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

gallery_27954_2_1456949.jpg

gallery_27954_2_1954380.jpg

gallery_27954_2_638610.jpg

gallery_27954_2_223671.jpg

Rustic Apple Tart, prepared by my Fiancee Diana, for Thanksgiving dessert.

It only lasted a few minutes at the table before it dissappeared forever. Someone else brought a pumpkin pie that didn't fare so well.

This tart was a big hit. I can get the recipe if anyone asks.

Enjoy!

-James Kessler

My apple pie exploded...it's dripping caramel.  :sad: I was trying to be creative and twisted the lattice strips on top. I'm sure the pie will taste fine, though...but it's not the prettiest thing.

Well its sure looks good to me. Caramel apple pie is my favorite pie. And the drippage is not a bad thing. Its. . . enticing.

Nice cheesecake, Jmahl, and nice apple tart, James.