• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I had perhaps a cup's worth of chocolate sable tart dough left, so I combined it with a flourless chocolate cookie dough that I had in the freezer. Sweetened the dough with a bit of sugar, added a bit of baking soda and some salt.

They turned out like an extra-rich version of the Korova cookies. :wub:

I think my cookie-dough eating days are over... :sad: (Is it possible to get something awful from eating raw dough, or is that just a myth?)

It is possible, but highly unlikely. I think the odds of eggs having salmonella/campylobacter here in the U.S. is about 1 in 30,000 (someone please correct me if I am wrong). And if you are healthy, it probably won't kill you, although you might wish you were dead for a day or two.

I once spent 36 hours in the hospital (on Christmas Eve/Day!) from food poisoning. Even though I would not like to relive that episode, I eat cookie dough and cake batter all the time. (Perhaps this is because my food poisoning was from a fast-food hamburger left in the glove box of a car for 3 hours, not from eggs).

It is a risk, but pretty small.

I have a tremendously touchy stomach and I am happy to report I can still eat cookie dough :raz:

We're just done tasting some candies which are in development. The company in question just isn't getting the concept of what they are going for, though. The 'sweets' were singularly awful, so I'm now in need of a second dessert, but we must wait until 7 to do that, darn!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Frisian sugarbread:

gallery_21505_1968_27918.jpg

I'm thinking this will be breakfast tomorrow too  :smile:

Chufi, that looks delicious!! I've never heard of Frisian Sugarbread. If you have time, could you please post the recipe?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Someone please help. How does one post photos? I am humbled and in dispair.

HELP!!!!!

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

^Not Klary, but her recipe is posted in her Dutch Cooking thread!  :smile:

(And Klary, the sugar bread you made looks better than the one you bought!  :wub: )

Could you please give me a link? I've tried twice but I can't find it.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

(And Klary, the sugar bread you made looks better than the one you bought!  :wub: )

Just click on the linked text in Chufi's sig.

Michael aka "Pan"

gallery_38003_2_161672.jpgOk Trying this.

If this works, taken from cover Gourmet Mag. August 2005 - A keeper.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Just click on the linked text in Chufi's sig.

Thanks, I've got it! I didn't realize Chufi had two blogs. I was searching the archives and only the February blog came up.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Had some time last night and it was cold in the house so I fired up the oven and tried these.

Here are two dolcis from Italy just in time from the holidays --taken from"Tuscany the Beautiful Cookbook: by Lorenza de Medici, Harper Collins 1996.

First is a Crostada di Ricotta from Grosseto

tn_gallery_38003_2135_165011.jpg

and second a Panforte from Siena.

tn_gallery_38003_2135_275887.jpg

No credit here I just follow directions.

Had some time last night and it was cold in the house so I fired up the oven and tried these. 

Here are two dolcis from Italy just in time from the holidays --taken from"Tuscany the Beautiful Cookbook: by Lorenza de Medici, Harper Collins 1996.

First is a Crostada di Ricotta from Grosseto

gallery_38003_2135_165011.jpg

and second a Panforte from Siena.

gallery_38003_2135_275887.jpg

No credit here I just follow directions.

I changed the image links so we can see the full-size images. Good job on everything!

Killer tart, Ling!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

OMIGOD.IM.GOING.TO.DIE.

I just got back from a cookie exchange--in addition to all the wonderful savoury nibbles, I ate a good two dozen cookies there...and then I went to my friend's house with the 12 dozen cookies I walked away with, and we parked ourselves in front of the TV and watched "Finding Neverland". Fast forward 2 hours, and I must've put away another two dozen cookies AT LEAST! (She was a more conservative nibbler, so I still have about 9 dozen cookies left.) I also made us wicked hot chocolate with condensed milk + milk (she didn't have half and half), chopped chocolate, and a full cup's worth of Bailey's.

The Tarte Grenobloise was delicious...I also had like six truffles. And an Irish cream kolachy.

My favourite cookies of the evening (although they were all very tasty):

-pecan shortbread

-lime meltaways

-Korova cookies

-blue cheese shortbread

I also had a few pieces of really good cranberry, pistachio and coconut nougat!

I think I've outdone myself....I have a "food baby" that looks at least four or five months along...

...must lay down now. Can't move. Skirt cutting off circulation. Difficulty breathing...*gasp*

Edited by Ling (log)

OMIGOD.IM.GOING.TO.DIE.

I just got back from a cookie exchange--in addition to all the wonderful savoury nibbles, I ate a good two dozen cookies there...and then I went to my friend's house with the 12 dozen cookies I walked away with, and we parked ourselves in front of the TV and watched "Finding Neverland". Fast forward 2 hours, and I must've put away another two dozen cookies AT LEAST! (She was a more conservative nibbler, so I still have about 9 dozen cookies left.) I also made us wicked hot chocolate with condensed milk + milk (she didn't have half and half), chopped chocolate, and a full cup's worth of Bailey's.

The Tarte Grenobloise was delicious...I also had like six truffles. And an Irish cream kolachy.

My favourite cookies of the evening (although they were all very tasty):

-pecan shortbread

-lime meltaways

-Korova cookies

-blue cheese shortbread

I also had a few pieces of really good cranberry, pistachio and coconut nougat!

I think I've outdone myself....I have a "food baby" that looks at least four or five months along...

...must lay down now. Can't move. Skirt cutting off circulation. Difficulty breathing...*gasp*

Ling, the holidays doesn't really begin until you've gorged at least once :smile: . I had Bananas Foster, Pumpkin Cheesecake and chocolate covered oatmeal cookies.

I don't know if you all look in the PH thread, but I ate all the components of this yesterday:

Pierre Herme's Tarte Grenobloise

chocolate sable crust, Valrhona ganache, caramel pecans

tartegrenobloise2.jpg

That's gorgeous, Ling! For our annual Hanukah party (held yesterday) I made the old-fashioned almond cookies from Paris Sweets and dipped the bottoms in tempered bittersweet chocolate. I can't stop eating them.

Pistachio macaro(o)ns, some filled with ganache, and some filled with espresso buttercream.

gallery_23736_355_12917.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Those are so beautiful, Patrick. Can I use that picture as my computer wallpaper? :wub:

Dessert today...more cookies from yesterday's Cookie Exchange. I thought 12 dozen would last me a few days, at least, but at the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky if I have any left for tomorrow!!