• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Chocolate mousse cake from Cooks Illustrated, with raspberry sauce. This cake is basically your run-of-the-mill flourless chocolate cake, except that the eggs are seperated and the whites whipped.

Something funny about a cake with no flour being run-of-the-mill.. A flourless cake should be mill-less.. Also, your run-of-the-mill is most peoples best cake of their lifetime.. And then you happen to take that normal cake and seperate the eggs and whip things.. Thanks for sharing your process.. Gorgeous..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Lots of Mazel lots of Nakkus!  :biggrin:  Nice to have you back in NYC M.Blocker..

Congrats to your mom!

Thanks, guys! It's good to be back, Daniel - this ends a five-wedding streak (three in the last three months), and I could not be happier. Sweet relief! :wink:

That cake looks excellent, PatrickS...yummmmm.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I was so inspired by FoodMan's coffee buttercream dacquoise that I had to make my own! Love it. And after eating the piping scraps last night I realized I need to find ways to use dacquoise more often. Love the chewy texture and nutty flavor.

gallery_23736_355_17441.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

All right, that's it, I'm going out to find dessert. No way am I baking in my very clean kitchen (spotless, in fact - I have a friend coming, and need them to think I am CLEAN), but man, I need cookies.

You people are evil. :angry::laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Patrick and Foodman: I made dacquoise for the first time back in September and I loved it! I crumbled an extra disc and used it to garnish the top of a cake (and the pieces are great for snacking on too!)

Today's dessert was mint chocolate and a Dagoba chocolate bar.

I guess this is dessert because it was eaten after dinner.. I just wanted to express my love for Mexican Candy.. This tamarind stuff is fantastic, added with some red chile powder.. MMM,MMM,MMM... I would love to hear about other ways this is used in desserts/candy..

gallery_15057_1168_920011.jpg

Was getting my car serviced yesterday when I went in to this Mexican Grocery.. La Rosita.. I got a chorizo and egg sandwich and bought a bunch of candy.. This was one of the things I got.. A large tamarind fruit roll up attached to this stick to give it structure.. Sprinkled with chili powder.. Spicy and sweet..

gallery_15057_1168_634990.jpg

Daniel, the picture of the boy on the package of candy bears a striking resemblance to your avatar. :laugh:

Btw--I had Pepperidge Farm sugar free chocolate chip cookies with pecans tonight--they are very good. Ok ok so I had a few brownie scraps at work today too. Can't be good all the time! :raz:

Eating spiced plum cake and "crisp" toffee bars... Not so crisp, and not so tasty. :angry: Mr. R. loves them because they don't have a lot of sugar, but I think they're blahhhnd and could use a lot *more* sugar....

I think my cookie-dough eating days are over... :sad: (Is it possible to get something awful from eating raw dough, or is that just a myth?)

I was so inspired by FoodMan's coffee buttercream dacquoise that I had to make my own! Love it. And after eating the piping scraps last night I realized I need to find ways to use dacquoise more often. Love the chewy texture and nutty flavor.

gallery_23736_355_17441.jpg

Patrick, your photos make me weak in the knees.

That makes me happy. :wink: I assure you, the pleasure is all mine.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I think my cookie-dough eating days are over... :sad: (Is it possible to get something awful from eating raw dough, or is that just a myth?)

It is possible, but highly unlikely. I think the odds of eggs having salmonella/campylobacter here in the U.S. is about 1 in 30,000 (someone please correct me if I am wrong). And if you are healthy, it probably won't kill you, although you might wish you were dead for a day or two.

I once spent 36 hours in the hospital (on Christmas Eve/Day!) from food poisoning. Even though I would not like to relive that episode, I eat cookie dough and cake batter all the time. (Perhaps this is because my food poisoning was from a fast-food hamburger left in the glove box of a car for 3 hours, not from eggs).

It is a risk, but pretty small.

I've never had anything awful happy to me after eating cookie dough! And I consume vast quantities in one sitting.  :smile:

It is possible, but highly unlikely. <snip>

Good news...must not have been the dough, then. That means I can make chocolate chip cookies this week with no impunity! :biggrin:

Edited to attempt to fix the spaces...

Edited by Rehovot (log)