• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Baked up a batch of Jan Hagel Koekjes : Dutch Buttery Almond Shortbread Cookies, and had a couple for dessert with a gorgeous cup of Douwes Egberts coffee. Dutch cookies and coffee, good combination :smile:

gallery_11814_1914_72847.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Today is the levelled tops of 2 more chocolate cakes--one made with Valrhona cocoa, and one made with an organic cocoa. I'm eating them with the fleur de sel caramel buttercream and taste-testing the caramel ganache.

Also had a red bean ice-cream thing.

ETA: here's the finished cake. Sorry about the messy kitchen and the foil around the bottom of the cake...:blush:

caaaaaaaaake

Edited by Ling (log)

A piece of pie -- apple, with dried tart cherries and a little bourbon -- and a "test piece" of the spiced sweet potato fudge I'm making for a Halloween party on Saturday (I don't have a candy thermometer, so on the rare occasion I make candy, I'm winging it -- and the fudge cooked slightly too long, so it's very dense; still "breaks" like fudge, but doesn't melt in your mouth. I don't know how much the sweet potato affects this, of course).

Last night, a piece of gingerbread which was good but had me wishing it was more intensely-flavored -- the Missus had dark chocolate creme brulee, and I wanted something that intense without being chocolate.

(Tomorrow: ahem, "test pieces" of the other desserts -- mesquite brownies with saffron dulce de leche, and burnt-citrus tarts with dark chocolate and cinnamon.)

THAT DOES IT!!!  I want Ling's metabolism!!

Hee hee .... I've been thinking, oh, to be in my twenties again! (Just a guess based on Ling's photo....)

I was thinking the same thing until I saw a photo of Ling from the neck down! tn_gallery_18120_1671_1729.jpg

Only kidding; just couldn't resist. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ilene

I've been following this thread too and wondered if maybe Ling was a food writer or critic. Who goes to that many restaurants! LOL. Then I saw a picture of her (eating THREE desserts) and thought, "That's not fair!" I wish I could eat just one dessert and look like that. Then, I though, Maybe she only eats dessert? :blink:

I'm neither a food writer nor critic. I wish! :smile: No, I don't just eat dessert. Yesterday's desserts followed a nice meal at Feenie's--I had the wild mushroom tart tartin, and the mission trout with lemon/cauliflower puree, browned butter, wild rice, raisins and capers. I also helped my friend out with his shephard's pie (made with duck confit) and his braised short rib. :biggrin:

Yesterday:

-slices of my chocolate cake experiment

-shared a Concord Grape tart with pine nut filling, browned butter ice-cream and a dessert trio--hot chocolate with homemade marshmallow, rice krispie, and peanut butter mousse atop a chocolate crust

I've been following this thread too and wondered if maybe Ling was a food writer or critic.  Who goes to that many restaurants! LOL.  Then I saw a picture of her (eating THREE desserts) and thought, "That's not fair!"  I wish I could eat just one dessert and look like that.  Then, I though, Maybe she only eats dessert? :blink:

Nah, I just have to work out at the gym 4 times a week. :rolleyes::smile:

Today:

I just ate the last slice of cake after lunch. I have egg yolks and whipping cream leftover from my buttercream and ganache, which means tonight's dessert will be CREME BRULEE, baby!  :biggrin:

I've got the same "extras" but I'm making ICECREAM!!!!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Tonight, Bill Yosse's white chocolate vanilla bean cake. I used Lindt white chocolate, 3 Tahitian vanilla beans, and a little extract on top of that. I can't wait to take a slice to my brother, who loves all things vanilla.

gallery_23736_355_906.jpg

gallery_23736_355_7863.jpg

gallery_23736_355_11973.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

My goodness, Patrick, this takes the cake! I can't say which is better, the photography or the cake. The cake looks absolutely extraordinary. I want some!!!!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

^Those are great pictures. I can barely see the crumb--is it a dense cake?

Not really. It looks really dense, like pound cake, but its not. The mouthfeel is actually quite light.

My goodness, Patrick, this takes the cake! I can't say which is better, the photography or the cake. The cake looks absolutely extraordinary. I want some!!!!

Thanks so much, John! As you can see, I'm having fun with my new camera!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Which lens did you use?

I used the lens that came with the camera, the EF-S 18-55mm. Eventually I will buy a dedicated macro lens, but that will have to wait a while.

Patrick, that's the recipe from F&W, right?

I made it once and burned it, I think the cooking time in the recipe was totally off or my oven was.

I remade the cake and it was pretty good, but it never called out to me to make it again.

However, your pictures might make me change my mind- beautiful!