• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Chocolate pecan pie, recipe from Medrich's Bittersweet. With whipped cream. I wanted to take a picture of it, but the CCD in my digital camera crapped out on me.

Now the question is, how not to eat it all at once.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Thanks for complimenting my cake, Megan and Ling! I made this using the cake recipe you (Ling) recommended, and I think I'm pretty much converted to it as well.

A Bittersweet Deception cookie from Alice Medrich's "Bittersweet".  Gawd, they're rich -- one was plenty!

Thanks for posting the recipe, Ruth. These are some great cookies! I made mine with Lindt 70% and left out the nuts.

gallery_23736_355_10794.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

^I could post a pic of my Bittersweet cookies, but they are slightly less regularly shaped and not nearly as pretty. :laugh: I forgot to add that I scaled down the sugar b/c I only had semi-sweet chocolate left in the cupboard, so I used that. They are fantastic! One of the best chocolate cookie recipes I've ever used! :wub:

Thanks for posting the recipe, Ruth. These are some great cookies! I made mine with Lindt 70% and left out the nuts. 

Quite welcome! Yours seem to have spread quite a bit more than mine did -- did you adjust the chocolate and/or butter at all?

Edited because my brain is still asleep -- I'm guessing the omission of the nuts accounts for the difference. With the nuts, you get cookie "clumps" -- no real spreading to speak of.

Edited by RuthWells (log)

2 frozen Chocolate Sparkle Cookies using Thomas Haas recipe on recipegullet. They are so good frozen!

Yeah, what is it about frozen treats that make them so good? I love the extra chewiness of frozen brownies. Many of my breakfasts, lunches and dinners also qualify as "desserts", but the best dessert I ate today was a frozen brownie slathered with like 3 tbsp. of Nutella. Mmmm...my mouth was so happy. :wub:

Inspired by the "What's for Dinner?" and "Breakfast -- The most important meal of the day" threads in the "Cooking" forum, I ask you...

What are you cooking for dessert for yourself?

I just pulled a strawberry/blackberry crisp out of the oven.  Cinnamon, brown sugar, and St. Brendan's Irish Creme was mixed in with the fruit.  The crisp topping contains a buncha butter, brown sugar, toasted coconut flakes, flour, and rolled oats.

Smells amazing.  I'm about to go try it now that's it's cooled down a bit.

I made gateau anglais from The Art of the Cake because it was easy and rummy. Very good and indeed easy and relatively quick to put together. The rum flavoring with currents was just right.

Woods

Chris brought home two peaches; he extended the bag, saying, "I smelled this as I rounded the banana aisle. I think you could just brush the velvet off." I opened the bag, inhaled the almondy peach breath captured within the plastic. The two must have weighed more than a pound. They had just a blush of true peach, with great swells of deep purple swirled across their necklines, their softness under my fingers a remembrance of orchards and trees and wasps defending their bounty.

I touched the button on the electric kettle, removed the two little ID stickers, ran the fruit briefly under the cold water. The silvery stream parted and sluiced away from the unheeding velvet, leaving it as dry and untouched as before, with tiny dewlets adhering in a couple of places. Peaches in a bowl, scalding water cascaded on, time for a minute. Icy water replaced hot; hands into bowl to feel easy skinslip under my cool fingers. The slick globes emerged, inner color mirroring the gentlepeeled skin, round and perfect as an apple on a plate.

A soft pat with paper, drying of hands, then the little crescents falling from the knife into the bowl--the scent of Summer, memories of four-bushel days in a hot kitchen, preserving the sweet depths of flavor in jewelly jars. Quick snowing of sugar, squeeze of lemon, gentle toss and cover laid on, to rest on the counter, melding and yielding juices, until time to spoon into two bowls with a scoop of Edy's Double Vanilla.

Capture Summer where you can.

Visited the family for dessert after they broke their fast (it's Ramadan and I'm in Arabia, where, during this time, sweets after dinner are taken very seriously, even by those who might otherwise pass). They ate (forgive my spelling) homemade kunafa made with ricotta (my dad prefers this lighter version to the original), qatayef (with walnuts and raisins), qaymat (crispy, bite-sized, deep-fried and soaked in honey), freeki (buttery!) with clotted cream, and something that translates as "ladies' forearms" and which is stuffed with cream and garnished with candied orange flower blossoms (I think)... bowls of warm rose scented syrup passed all around to be drizzled over the lot of it.

Still hungry after all this was cleared away, so my baby sister and I made sundaes with vanilla ice cream, peanut butter, nutella etc. She added marshmallow fluff to hers, and then we split a Luxury Flake bar for dessert- I mean, em.. a digestif.

I then spent an hour on the phone in the study eating countless mini Toblerone bars out of the secret stash in the desk.

Then I went out and had some Turkish coffee and sticky toffee pudding. My friend didn't want her walnut maple bar, so I ate that as well.

And when I head to bed in fifteen minutes, I'm taking the jar of Nutella with me. So there.

Pumpkin Pie. I was at the farmer's market on Saturday and the pumpkins were just calling out to me--they wanted to be made into pie. There was a little bit more of the custard filling than fit in the shell, so I think I'll just fill a couple of ramekins and bake it.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science