• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Last night's desserts were:

- a delicious cheese course with figs and bread

- Sugar Pumpkin Tarte Tatin with Pine Mushroom creme anglaise

- R&B Brewing Spent Grain spice cake with dark caramel and whipped creme fraiche

..and when I got home, I polished off the last slice of my birthday cake that I was saving for a friend. :shock: Oh well...I had a craving for something chocolate-y

This week we had a pan of pecan-coconut-chocolate-chip blondies, the recipe from the Richard Sax book being discussed in another thread. It calls for white chocolate chips, which I don't really care for, so I used regular chocolate chips instead. Yummy and now gone.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Blueberry pie! I used Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe for two-crust blueberry pie in The Pie and Pastry Bible.

Her Flaky Cream-Cheese Crust I had made countless times before, but this time, instead of placing the butter pieces and flour mixture in a Ziploc bag before rolling the butter into flakes, I just dumped the whole thing onto my granite countertop and rolled it right there. I got the same flaky pastry as always, and I avoided throwing one more piece of plastic into the landfill.

Choklit cake. Though I screwed up the frosting and used the wrong amount of butter, so ended up with not enough to cover the whole cake. Oops. So now I must eat my mistake. Boo, hoo, hoo.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I'm way behind. The most notable things we had in the last couple of weeks were:

-Flourless chocolate cake from the Saveur Italian book: Turned out great despite despite the poor recipe instructions. (The recipe lists 13 TBS butter but only 12 is actually needed for the cake. The remaining TBS is for greasing the pan.) I especially liked the lovely crust that forms on the top of this cake. My daughter's reaction when tasting this cake was, "Brownie!" She was right, too. The ultimate brownie.

-CI's blueberry buckle recipe, frozen from a previous baking: A second tasting confirms my opinion that this recipe is way too sweet with the suggested amount of topping.

-Birthday cake for my 7-year old daughter: Two layers each of choc. fudge cake and cocoa dacquoise discs filled white choc. mousse and raspberry BC. The single layer of raspberry BC was definitely the highlight of this cake. In the future, I'll up the raspberry quotient with a gelee layer or raspberry mousse.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

pre-dinner: Portuguese cream tarts

post-dinner: brownies...this is the first time I've been allowed to bake in A WEEK! My mom requested that I take a week off from baking b/c she's sick of the smell of chocolate that permeates the house day in and day out. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ling (log)

A Skinny Cow fudge pop. I looooove them, even though it's total sacrilege.

Also made fudge brownies for my colleague (it's his birthday tomorrow), and I'm having major trouble resisting them. They smell AWESOME. :wub:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Cheese pie! I scaled down my cheesecake recipe by 3/5 and baked it in a pie plate lined with a pastry crust. So much easier and quicker than baking a large cheesecake in a springform for more than an hour only to have to refrigerate for 12 more hours before enjoying. This cheese pie was wonderful just slightly warm.