• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I just took the cranberry almond tart from the Williams Sonoma Pies and Tarts book out of the oven.

I used it as an excuse to buy a tart pan with a removable bottom, which worked quite nicely. I was a little worried about that.  And I realized that I still suck at rolling out dough.

What kind of problems do you have rolling out pie dough? If you like, maybe I can help with some hints/techniques - let me know the pie dough recipe you're using also.

I'm a bit behind... sunday night, fresh peach pie (from Baking Illustrated) with vanilla ice cream.

Tonight, Dark Chocolate cupcakes with vanilla bean buttercream from Cooksillustrated.com. I had some vanilla beans arrive in the mail today and my husband loves cupcakes sooo....they were very good. Peach pie is better though.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Almost done with a pan of fudgy brownies, with raspberry couilis. I had bought a bunch of raspberries to make ice cream with, then my ice cream machine crapped out on me, so I just turned them into a sauce for the brownies. Works for me.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

havent had any dessert since sunday ...because on sunday I had cookies, pecan pie, carmel cake, coconut cake, butter squares, and homemade ice cream oooh and nanner puddin'

...tasted 3 different danish for breakfast that day too

pretty scarey huh?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Cooking Illustrated's Best Brownie recipe, along with their best Lemon Square recipe and our own eG's "melmck" Raspberry Square recipe as written in Food & Wine magazine. All as a goodie basket for our accountant as both a thank-you for muddling through our 2004 tax mess and in hopes of snagging some business on the side (I'm a newbie personal chef in need of clients).

^Hey, that's the chocolate cupcake recipe I like!  :smile: And what a coincidence--I used the Epicurious Double chocolate cake recipe after I read how you recommended it.  :biggrin: Thanks for that--it's my new favourite chocolate cake recipe!

Now I've really got to try your brownie recipe...seems like we have similar chocolate tastes. :wink: I've gotta tell you though, I think the Epicurious batter makes even better cupcakes than cooksillustrated.com's. I only cooked the cupcakes 15 minutes and I think it suggests 18 - 22 or something and they were still dryer than the others. They did rise nice and have good flavour but not quite as moist and bit more trouble to make. I need to know which Pecan Pie you've chosen as best.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Short/sandy almond cookies, from my mom's recipe.

2 sticks butter

1 cup sugar

2 cups flour (I use whole wheat pastry instead of AP)

1 cup ground nuts (I use almonds)

Combine, shape into a log then chill. Slice and bake for 10-12 minutes at 350. Yum, yum.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Peach cobbler made not quite Southern style with a shot of Buttershot and a glug from the Barista Vanilla syrup bottle along with the sugar, vanilla and butter.

I actually usually don't eat dessert, but I too have a Peach Cobbler on the counter that I made from the gorgeous peaches purchased at the Raleigh Farmer's Market on the way home from the Pig Pickin' last weekend. Actually it's more of a cross between a cobbler and a crisp because it has both a batter and a crumbly topping since I couldn't decide which I wanted. Maybe a Crispy Cobbler? :blush:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Had some leftover white cake layers in the freezer, so broke them up and layered them in a trifle dish with some leftover lemon cake filling (essentially a runny lemon custard - I got the recipe from a friend's mom), with a little cream cheese, vanilla, and confectioner's sugar mixed together and spooned on top. Yum - lemon trifle?

gallery_26775_1623_209282.jpg

Wanted to add some blueberries, but the ones I had in the fridge were a little past their prime, and I didn't want to miss one minute of the tennis! :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

2 big pieces of my trial birthday cake--4 layers of chocolate cake sandwiched with Italian caramel buttercream (I had made a rum French buttercream a few days ago, but decided not to use it as it was a bit too rich with the cake), pecan and almond dacquoise, Valrhona whipped ganache (used Manjari), covered in a chocolate mirror glaze and topped with more dacquoise crumbles. :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

2 big pieces of my trial birthday cake--4 layers of chocolate cake sandwiched with Italian caramel buttercream (I had made a rum French buttercream a few days ago, but decided not to use it as it was a bit too rich with the cake), pecan and almond dacquoise, Valrhona whipped ganache (used Manjari), covered in a chocolate mirror glaze and topped with more dacquoise crumbles.  :wub:

I do hope we'll get to see pictures of the final product of all this delicious experimentation! :raz:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

^I'll post a pic as soon as my friend sends them to me!  :biggrin: I did my best, but it's still pretty damn ugly compared to all the professional pics I see on this site.  :laugh:

I'm sure it will be gorgeous - you're too modest.

Besides, what really matters...is how it TASTES!!! :biggrin:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

today I made a crumble that unbuckled my diet and made me slump...actually I dont even know what to call what I made anymore ....melted butter, cake batter and fresh sliced peaches baked for ever ..at least 75 min to firm up all the way....but it was damned tasty especially compared to mom's costco pudding pie....

oh yeah I baked it in a glass pan ...no wonder it took so long

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Ling, I really appreciate the joy that you get out of pastry- you are the type of customer that I love to bake for!

Awww thanks! That's very sweet of you! :wub:

Today's dessert was the chocolate pastry cream I was going to use for my birthday cake, but decided not to (it was lumpy). Also, green tea shortbread cookies at my bf's house. :wub:

wow! that cake looks gorgeous, so shiny (bet it tastes rather good too :cool: )

last night's dessert here was apple and blueberry crumble (finally, a night chilly enough to make crumble desirable) with home made custard.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam