• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

An enormous nectarine and a mug of hot Earl Grey tea.

Usually I wait about 30 minutes to an hour after supper before eating or drinking anything. And even then I usually don't want something to eat but hot tea will almost always follow my meal. A cup of sweet peppermint tea is probably my favorite "dessert."

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Last night I had warm, flaky peach empanadas with peach-almond sorbet and a drizzle of raspberry sauce. It was heavenly.

Any chance you could share the recipe and instructions for peach empanadas or point me in the right direction? Just the thought of it is making my mouth water.

If only I had the recipe! This was the conclusion to a delicious dinner with my favorite cousin (girls's night out!) at a little restaurant named Persimmon, right here in Chevy Chase. Uh, I can't get up the nerve to ask for the recipe, but if you get the recipe, please let me know!

I made 2 desserts today for tomorrow's dinner....friends are coming over for my birthday and I love to cook, so I'm having a blast!  I made Chocolate-Orange Mousse (from the Barefoot in Paris cookbook), and Cook's Illustrated's "Perfect Lemon Bars."  I have tasted both and I am thrilled with the results. The lemon bars are truly perfect...the crust is excellent and the filling is just right.

Would you mind terribly posting the recipe for the mousse? It sounds divine!!

Happy Birthday!

Edited by LoveToEatATL (log)

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Here's the mousse recipe. It was to die for...we were all swooning!! I used Ghirardelli chocolate which comes in 4 oz. bars, so I used 4 oz. semi sweet and 4 oz. bittersweet and it was perfect. I like darker chocolate anyway. Next time I might use all bittersweet!

Chocolate-Orange Mousse (from Barefoot in Paris cookbook)

6 ounces good semisweet chocolate, chopped

2 ounces good bittersweet chocolate, chopped

1/4 cup Grand Marnier

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 teaspoon grated orange zest

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

8 extra-large eggs, at room temperature, separated

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar

Pinch kosher salt

1/2 cup cold heavy cream

Whipped Cream, for decoration

Mandarin oranges, drained, for decoration

Combine the 2 chocolates, Grand Marnier, 1/4 cup water, and the vanilla in a heat-proof bowl. Set it over a pan of simmering water just until the chocolate melts. Cool completely to room temperature. Whisk in the orange zest and butter until combined.

Place the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes, or until very thick and pale yellow. With the mixer on low speed, add the chocolate mixture. Transfer to a large bowl.

Place 1 cup of egg whites (save or discard the rest), the salt, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until firm but not dry. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; then fold the rest in carefully with a rubber spatula.

Without cleaning the bowl or whisk, whip the heavy cream and the remaining tablespoon of sugar until firm. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Pour the mousse into individual dishes or an 8-cup serving bowl. Chill and decorate with whipped cream and oranges. Serve with extra whipped cream on the side.

Does ice cream before lunch count as dessert? I was passing by the Laboratorio de Gelato and it was hot out and so therefore I needed some. I had a cup with vanilla rum, caramel, and basil gelato. They open at 10 am, so they must have known I was coming. Then I went home and had lunch.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

passionfruit curd and peach tart. it was lovely to look at, too. one of these days i'll get that digital camera.

now i have to go post on the "what's for breakfast" thread because i had it for breakfast too!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

To make it worse, I came home and made more ice cream to have after dinner. Coffee. Actually, making coffee ice cream turns out to be not such a good idea if I want to actually be able to get to sleep tonight.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Inspired by the "What's for Dinner?" and "Breakfast -- The most important meal of the day" threads in the "Cooking" forum, I ask you...

What are you cooking for dessert for yourself?

I just pulled a strawberry/blackberry crisp out of the oven.  Cinnamon, brown sugar, and St. Brendan's Irish Creme was mixed in with the fruit.  The crisp topping contains a buncha butter, brown sugar, toasted coconut flakes, flour, and rolled oats.

Smells amazing.  I'm about to go try it now that's it's cooled down a bit.

I'm having vanilla ice cream topped with chestnuts in rum flavored syrup.

Tried Alton Brown's recipe for The Chewy chocolate chip cookies, and I've been eating them after all meals, or about six on their own for a meal. Every night. My body can't take this much butter on a regular basis, let me tell you, but they're just so good.

Some pecan pie that I originally made for a dinner party, but didn't bring because the I rolled out the pastry dough too thin and the pastry leaf border browned too much in the oven. So I'm eating my imperfect pie. (I whipped up a batch of brownies to bring to the party instead.)

A few slices of Black Diamond extra-sharp cheddar cheese with seeded crispbread, a cup of English Breakfast tea and huge red plum...while watching Shawn of the Dead. My kinda dessert.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I've been getting some wonderful fruit from a local orchard.

When I'm not too busy scarfing them down raw, I poach the peaches simply, in water, with allspice, cinnamon stick, a splash of kirsch, and a very small amount of sugar. After they've poached to the proper texture, I remove them, reduce the liquid, return the peaches . I'll try a batch in wine or champagne, but I think that might interfere with the peach flavor rather than enhance it.

A week or so back I made a peach pie with them, but the essentail peachy taste and perfume is stronger when poached.

My index for when a peach is best to eat? If you can pull the skin off without first dipping it in hot water or paring it. I just use the knife to catch the skin away from flesh and pull. If perfectly ripe, it takes very little more time than the hot water method and does not damage the fresh ripe taste.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Fudge brownies...yum!

These look like superior brownies. Can you post the recipe? I'd like to attempt these after a shot at Ling's.

Absolutely! :wub: I'm at work right now, but will post the recipe tonight when I get home!

As promised: Fudge Brownies

Spent this weekend in CT at my grandparents' place on the Sound (gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous). Since there were only four of us, the blueberry pie I made for Saturday night's dessert kept us going for Sunday, too!

gallery_26775_1623_23336.jpg

Edited to include link to recipe.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007